#13088 by G-VFAB
30 May 2006, 00:05
Hey Guys,

I have a 5th Gen iPod - 30GB with Video, but I've just been reading on the Apple Support Website that using my iPod at the gym can damage the hard drive - because of the moving parts and things. Whilst I already knew this I'm a bit more concerned now. In addition Apple have teamed up with Nike and are releasing the new hardware for the iPod Nano which clocks your run with a sensor in your shoe and a wireless connection with the iPod, however at the moment it suggests it is iPod nano only.

At the moment the new 1GB Nano's are £109 in the UK, but are $149 (£79) in the USA, is it worth buying a Nano to use at the gym and run with? I'm going to the USA in late July so would be able to get it at the cheaper USA price, what do you guys think is it worth risking my hard drive or buying an additional one?

Decisions decisions!
#120212 by preiffer
30 May 2006, 00:19
I have a 30GB Video and 4GB Nano for exactly that reason - my Nano is for in the gym.
#120213 by G-VFAB
30 May 2006, 00:23
I think it might be worth it. I intend to continue with the Gym once I go to university in September, in addition buying a nano is cheaper than paying to replace my hard drive - either with Apple or with another website...

Edit - The next question is... If I buy it from the USA in a few months time can I get it back to the UK Ok and will there be any issues of any sort?
#120216 by fozzyo
30 May 2006, 01:00
Originally posted by G-VFAB
Edit - The next question is... If I buy it from the USA in a few months time can I get it back to the UK Ok and will there be any issues of any sort?

I'm fairly sure that Apple, being the lovely people they are, have global warranties with their products. I have several friends who've been in the US so bought one there to say cash.

Mat xxx
#120227 by csparker
30 May 2006, 08:57
You should be able to get it back into the UK - the current duty free gift allowance is GBP 145 per person (According to the LHR website, the first that came up when I googled).

Of course you should never bring back anything over the allowance - that would be tax evasion...
#120259 by hamishbrown
30 May 2006, 14:00
i also own a 30gb video ipod, but use an ipod shuffle when running. i have lost 1 shuffle and broken another when running, but i would have been more upset if i had broken or lost my 'big' ipod... [8D]
#120279 by slinky09
30 May 2006, 15:58
Originally posted by csparker
Of course you should never bring back anything over the allowance - that would be tax evasion...

Like my last .... ooops!

I too have a nano and a 4G 40GB iPod for the same reason Paul says ... and also it's better for the beach, poolside, etc.
Virgin Atlantic