#13347 by Scorpio
13 Jun 2006, 10:22
Hi Guys,

Not sure if i can post on here but wanted advice from you techno guys!

I have set up a website and wanted to get onto the search engines.Is it better to pay an agency to advertise on various search engines or do it individually?

I have only just started this hobby so rerally couldnt afford much.

Thanks anyway guys![:X]
#122298 by Decker
13 Jun 2006, 10:54
Personally if you have unique words describing what you do I'd look at Google AdWords.
#122313 by Monkey
13 Jun 2006, 12:48
Hi, Web search and optimisation is a bit of a closed book. There are many companies who do this now. It is a really technical thing and TBH If I had the time I could work on this full time for our own website. There are a lot of sites you can submit to. Whether paying for sponsored links and ad words is the way to go I still haven't made up my mind. I struggled with this for ages when I worked for a VW dealer and now when running my own business. Having spoken to lots of people there really is no hard and fast answer as to how to get ranked high. It is either a very well kept secret (my No1 Guess) or no one knows at all!
#122321 by adam777
13 Jun 2006, 13:24
Motherger,

I have been working with the web since 97 and used to do search engine optimization professionally in the early days until the sheer size of the web and the variencies of the engines made the process overly complex and obscure.

Since then I have worked with literraly dozens (maybe even 100 plus) such companies and they all have one thing in common. None of them can deliver what they promise, not one, ever.

Many of these companies are run by kids that have had some modest success with minor search terms and assume that what little they know can be applied across the board to any search term which isnt always the case.

If you do decide to use one of these companies insist on speaking with their past clients and look carefully at their past work, dont take their word for it. Then make sure you have a well defined and rock solid refund clause in place.

Better still leave them alone and take some common sense steps to generate your own traffic. Google ad words, as has been noted already, are an excellent way of generating traffic. Make sure you can measure your traffic adequately, you need to know not only how many people come to your site but where they come from and how they got there (what search terms and engine, did they come from email etc etc).

Get a really good domain name that describes your product, then go out on the web daily and find other sites that may link to yours and arrange reciprocal links, google ranks sites higher depending on the number of 'Valid' links they have from other sites (however you cant just put up a website with a million links to your site, that will be link spamming and get you kicked off their database).

Its a lot of work to generate good, qualified traffic to your site but its well worth it.

Hope this helps a little.

Adam
#122438 by Scorpio
13 Jun 2006, 22:05
Thanks guys for this, i will put alot of thought into it whislt on holiday to Cyprus and when i come back i will have a fresh mind.

I think i will try Google Ad Words s people i have spoken to recommend this.

Well better get packed for holiday now!!!

xxx
#122442 by iforres1
13 Jun 2006, 22:11
You could also ask PIX;)I'm sure he may have a couple of ideas

Iain
#122459 by Pete
13 Jun 2006, 23:56
adam777 - if we still had a Respected Users system, you'd be on my list for that post alone. [y]

Ger - the painful fact is it just takes time. To my mind, there's only a few search engines that it's worth getting into. Google, Yahoo and dmoz.org (the latter being a human-edited index which is used by many other directories). Use the free-submit to each of those, then concentrate on your content. You get good search-engine ranking by having good content; either the stuff the search engine can directly index on your pages, or the slightly more difficult to describe ranking achieved by inbound links from relevant peers. Your inbound links will really help, but they really need to be from relevant pages. No point getting a link to your site about Ladies Shoes from a page about Bricklaying. You get those links by providing content that someone thinks is worth linking to (from their website or blog or whatever). You also get your search engine ranking from content; so the message here is once you've done the basic job of telling search engines you exist (and don't bother with those multi-submission tools - you'll only end up on a 1000 spam mailing lists), only worry about the content on your site.

Pete
#122532 by FV75
14 Jun 2006, 12:48
Have you thought about Affiliate Marketing? Might not be appropriate for what you are trying to achieve, but is increasingly popular. Do a Google search to find out more.
#125072 by Scorpio
29 Jun 2006, 13:49
Thanks Guys, Back now from holiday so will putting alot of thought into it.My website is all up and running now with prices etc so just have to concetrate on getting people to view my site / point in the right direction.
#125083 by Decker
29 Jun 2006, 14:20
One idea might be to put your homepage in your member profile ;)
#125084 by FamilyMan
29 Jun 2006, 14:22
You could also add a link from your profile - every little bit helps.

My wife has also recently started up a online store and is going through the same head scratching.

Phil
Virgin Atlantic