#13540 by Pete
22 Jun 2006, 16:29
Hi All,

I know we have a few Mac users here, and I need the assistance of a couple of you who are running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) - the latest version.

For my trip up to Edinburgh in August, I'm using Apple's iCal application to manage the time of all the reviewers. Now you'd think that Apple would let you export your calendar events to a tabbed text file, so you can manipulate them in other apps (in this case, Excel), but that would appear to be a bridge too far. So I searched high and low for a utility to do it, and it appears - whilst there are plenty of ways to sync with Palm or Outlook - no one has cracked plain old text yet.

So, me being me, I've written an application to do it. What I need is a couple of people to check it works on other machines before I float it off to the world of Freeware, just in case someone else finds it useful.

Download iCal2txt.zip

Min Sys Requirements;
iCal 2 - ie, the one shipped with 10.4. This won't work with iCal 1, which came with previous versions of the system.

To Install;
Unzip & launch!

What It Does;
When you launch the app, you'll get a list of all your calendar events in date order. In the right hand drawer window, you can turn on and off calendar categories. These are loaded automatically from you current iCal files.

The Export Text button opens a dialog box and asks you where you want to save the current list of events.

The Reset Calendars button essentially trashes your preferences. If you delete or add a new calendar in your iCal application, then you'll need to press this button to get iCal2txt to refresh.

About button opens the About sheet

Close/Open Drawer button toggles the calendar list view

What To Test;
All I need to establish is that the application loads the list of your calendars, displays the event list and exports text as expected. I don't need any feature requests, as this has just been written to service my own requirements in Edinburgh, but if it works ok then I'll share it with anyone who wants it.

If you come across any problems, let me know the exact error; your version of iCal & OS X.

Thanks,

Pete
#123963 by David_C_H_1
22 Jun 2006, 17:05
Well, It doesnt work at all for me. I get a message box saying

"An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled.
The application must shut down"

When I click ok on this message, the application quits.

I'm using an Intel iMac, iCal is ver 2.03 And OSX is ver 10.4.6

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
#123965 by pegitt
22 Jun 2006, 17:20
Pete, all working fine here[y]

PowerBook G4 1.5ghz
OSX 10.4.5
iCal V2.0.3 (1055)
#123967 by hamishbrown
22 Jun 2006, 17:41
sorry, but not working for me...

imac - os x 10.4.6 - ical 2.0.3 (1055)

[:?]
#123969 by pegitt
22 Jun 2006, 18:00
Just updated to OSX 10.4.6 and still all ok.
#123974 by Pete
22 Jun 2006, 18:30
Thanks for the feedback so far...

If you're getting an error, could you describe your iCal set up (number of calendars, whether they're the standard ones or custom-added).

Can you also go to your main hard disk, open Library > Application Support and see if there is an "iCal2txt" folder in there, and if so, whether that contains a file called CalendarPrefs.txt

Do any windows open, or does the error occur as soon as you launch?

Pete
#123978 by mcmbenjamin
22 Jun 2006, 19:02
Can't get it to work on my new MacBook. The iCal2txt folder is there and the CalendarPrefs.txt file is in there.

I only have one calendar in iCal called Home. I created some random things to test this. I deleted the calendar called work. I closed all apps including iCal prior to running iCal2txt. When I click the tick box in the drawer I get an exception of class NilObjectExcepition and a message that this app must be shut down.

Hope this helps. Maybe an Intel-mac issue.
#123985 by Pete
22 Jun 2006, 20:05
Nope, not an Intel Mac issue, but your description of what happened is very helpful.

So, with just one calendar, unchecking its tickbox gives a NilObject error? Did the events show up ok before the error?

Pete
#123987 by mcmbenjamin
22 Jun 2006, 20:17
Ok. Went to lunch and had Chicken Pene Pasta at Pablo's Grille. Pretty darn good.

I shut down my computer before leaving and restarted it upon return. Tried the iCal2Txt upon restart. I click around and after clicking Reset Calendar my calendar (Home) appeared in the drawer with the tick box populated (blue check mark). No events showed. I unchecked it then rechecked it and then my events that I entered in iCal earlier appeared correctly.

I clicked all the buttons earlier including Reset Calendar. The tick box in the drawer did not have any titles next to it earlier.
#124002 by David_C_H_1
22 Jun 2006, 22:18
Originally posted by pixuk
Thanks for the feedback so far...

If you're getting an error, could you describe your iCal set up (number of calendars, whether they're the standard ones or custom-added).

Can you also go to your main hard disk, open Library > Application Support and see if there is an "iCal2txt" folder in there, and if so, whether that contains a file called CalendarPrefs.txt

Do any windows open, or does the error occur as soon as you launch?

Pete

Just 3 calendars, home, work & birthdays. The folder & the file are there. The error happens straight away on launch, but the application window does open up.
#124011 by Pete
22 Jun 2006, 23:26
Cool... can you email me a copy of the CalendarPrefs.txt file to [email protected] - so I can see if there's something in there that made it fail? (feel free to open the text file first so you can see there's no personal info in there)

Pete
Virgin Atlantic