#14105 by vizbiz
26 Jul 2006, 14:05
I want to get a 30GB iPod or a Creative Vision M or something similar, however I wonder how can such a device survive being delivered from Amazon or wherever, when it undoubtedly gets tossed into the local courier/BT van and generally slammed around - the very thing that you're supposed to avoid doing with a hard-disk device [:0]?

How can a hard-disk survive this sort of abuse? Is it because the drive head locks when not in use, or are most people simply lucky (although there do seem to be a continuing number of reports of these devices simply stopping working through hard-drive problems after a while) [?]?

Thanks

Viz.
#129272 by pjh
26 Jul 2006, 14:22
Had mine 2 years after a normal PO delivery. No problems as yet! Those problems that I've heard of have been from friends who've insisted on using them when jogging. (If you want to do this, get a Nano...)

I guess the hard drive parks the read / write head in a "safe" place when not powered up. This is, I think, standard technology on disk drives. I have bought several p.c. disk drives over the years, had them delivered by PO or courier, and never had a problem.

Paul
#129275 by mcmbenjamin
26 Jul 2006, 14:41
I jog with mine, keep it in my backpack (which I drop and throw around), I have dropped my iPod....basically I have yet been able to break it. I am on my second because I wanted a video iPod but my 2.75 year old iPod is in use by my Dad and works great.

Buy it, preferably in the US where they are cheaper.
#129280 by Neil
26 Jul 2006, 15:08
I've got both a Nano and a Video iPod and both ordered and delivered through the mail and both are fine, as pjh says, the Nano is perfect from walking/jogging/cycling etc. They are well protected when sent out and although you might not think it they are very durable, its like mobiles, etc i drop things all the time and ok they get they odd scratch etc but they still work fine:)

Neil:)
#129519 by webdes03
28 Jul 2006, 16:23
I wouldn't worry about the delivery. I think everyone I know ordered their MP3 players online, and nobody has had any real problems.

For the record, while you're comparing different models to select the one your purchase, I have a Dell DJ, which I've been very happy with.

The only shipping company I refuse to use is the garbage service offered by DHL--the company that left my dad's $3,000 digital camera just sitting outside the front of our house, next to the street--despite the fact it said "Signature Required" in big red letters on the top. I guess the driver was too lazy to come back. Never ship DHL- their service is garbage.
#129522 by pjh
28 Jul 2006, 16:38
Originally posted by webdes03

The only shipping company I refuse to use is the garbage service offered by DHL--the company that left my dad's $3,000 digital camera just sitting outside the front of our house, next to the street--despite the fact it said "Signature Required" in big red letters on the top. I guess the driver was too lazy to come back. Never ship DHL- their service is garbage.

Slightly off-topic, but here we go..

Unfortunately for receiving items (in the UK at least) you generally have no option but to surrender yourself to the whims of fate as it's the despatching party that chooses the courier.

When sending items in the UK, most private individuals will use the Post Office as the courier companies do not have penetration into the domestic market and, unless you live in a big city, have far fewer points at which you can drop items for despatch.

Post Office also has the edge for me as they deliver on a Saturday which courier companies will either refuse to do or for which they will charge a supplementary fee. All too often I've had savings from internet purchase almost wiped out by being forced to leave work early and spend money on petrol driving into the back of beyond to collect a parcel that a courier company has been unable to deliver as we're out all day.

Paul
#129527 by Neil
28 Jul 2006, 16:58
Originally posted by pjh
Originally posted by webdes03

Post Office also has the edge for me as they deliver on a Saturday which courier companies will either refuse to do or for which they will charge a supplementary fee. All too often I've had savings from internet purchase almost wiped out by being forced to leave work early and spend money on petrol driving into the back of beyond to collect a parcel that a courier company has been unable to deliver as we're out all day.

Paul

Can you not have your parcels delivered to you at work? I and most of the people at my work have private parcels delivered all the time to the office, so saving having to nip home etc which I agree is a right pain.

#129536 by pjh
28 Jul 2006, 18:13
Originally posted by Attitude23
Can you not have your parcels delivered to you at work? I and most of the people at my work have private parcels delivered all the time to the office, so saving having to nip home etc which I agree is a right pain.

Neil - good idea, but as I rarely go into my employer's office and am generally "just another nameless wasteofspace consultant" at my clients that's not really an option.

Paul
Virgin Atlantic