#15712 by Bazz
18 Oct 2006, 09:53
This from ZDNet:

Apple Computer warned on Tuesday that some of its latest iPods have shipped with a Windows virus.

The company said that a small number of video iPods made after Sept. 12 included the RavMonE virus. It said it has seen fewer than 25 reports of the problem, which it said does not affect other models of the media player, nor does it affect Macs.

Full piece here
#143768 by Decker
18 Oct 2006, 10:04
Sort of reminds you of when Microsoft used to ship their own Novell client which was buggy thus leading people to distrust Novell :)
#143770 by Neil
18 Oct 2006, 10:18
Love the way the try and shift part of the blame onto Microsoft, and they way the feel the need to say that it wasn't intential[:?]
#143805 by VS075
18 Oct 2006, 14:41
Originally posted by Attitude23
Love the way the try and shift part of the blame onto Microsoft, and they way the feel the need to say that it wasn't intential[:?]

Agree with you on that one. Apple are probably trying to protect their reputation for offering virus-free products compared to Windows. They've only got themselves to blame for letting them be shipped out with the viruses on them...how childish to try to pass on the blame[V]
#143807 by preiffer
18 Oct 2006, 14:50
They should prevent iPods from being ruined in the first place by ensuring they can't be used with anything developed out of Seattle. Problem solved [y]
#143809 by mcmbenjamin
18 Oct 2006, 15:01
Originally posted by preiffer
They should prevent iPods from being ruined in the first place by ensuring they can't be used with anything developed out of Seattle. Problem solved [y]

Ture dat! Was reading that the soon to be released Microsoft music player will NOT work on Macs. So Apple should follow MS's lead I think.
#143810 by Neil
18 Oct 2006, 15:02
Originally posted by preiffer

Nice idea, but the problem with that Paul is the it would slightly limit their potential buyer's, and as Apple are a company that I imagine like to make lots and lots of money, your idea would not be very conducive to that.

Neil:)
#143854 by Juliet
18 Oct 2006, 19:16
I think they may be trying to turn all current ipod holders into Mac users! [ii]
#143857 by RichardMannion
18 Oct 2006, 19:32
Obviously you would have thought their production line would be running on Mac OSX but obviously not...

'Apple Vice President Greg Joswiak told CNET News.com that the virus was discovered last week and said the company has been working around the clock since then to discover the root cause of the problem. Joswiak said it was traced to a particular Windows machine in the manufacturing lines of a contract manufacturer that builds the iPods for Apple. The company declined to name the maker.'

Would love to see the ratio of Mac:PC users of Ipod's, and then take Paul's suggestion. Me thinks stock would not be flying (neither in the financial or product sense).

Thanks,
Richard
#143938 by preiffer
19 Oct 2006, 00:54
It's probably the inverse of the number of Macs brought down by a virus as opposed to the number of PC's brought down by the same, Richard ;)
#144082 by VS075
19 Oct 2006, 23:17
Originally posted by Juliet
I think they may be trying to turn all current ipod holders into Mac users! [ii]

Your theory is the same as mine. Having iTunes built in to Macs is a selling point for starters...

APPLE:"Since we've brought you this, take a look at this beast of a computer"

VS075: "I'll pass thanks!"
Virgin Atlantic