#19375 by AlanA
22 May 2007, 10:04
What's the situation now on laptop batteries and using the power points on Virgin aircraft?
I looked on the VS web site and could not find any mention now

TIA
#172381 by Bazz
22 May 2007, 12:18
Alan, if you look here and scroll down you will see the latest info, it hasn't changed recently.

I will move ths post to the Travel Technology forum.
#172388 by AlanA
22 May 2007, 13:44
Can you send the URL Bazz, my computer blocks cookies so I get an error page with the link
#172389 by preiffer
22 May 2007, 13:49
LAPTOP BATTERY RESTRICTIONS
Customers wishing to use an Apple, Dell or IBM laptop on board can only do so once the laptop battery serial number has been checked by a member of the Cabin Crew.

- If the battery is permitted for use, the laptop may be used as normal on board, with no further restrictions.

- If however the battery is identified as being from the affected batch as identified by Apple, Dell or IBM, the battery must be removed. In cabins where the seats are fitted with In Seat Power Supplies, leads/adapters will be offered. Where no ISPS is provided or no laptop leads/adapters are available, the use of these affected laptops is prohibited.

Any removed or spare batteries must be individually wrapped/protected and placed in your Carry On Baggage. This is limited to two batteries per passenger.

Virgin Atlantic is in communication with Apple, Dell and IBM. As soon as this safety issue is resolved these restrictions will be lifted.
#172391 by Bazz
22 May 2007, 14:19
Alan, Paul has covered it but in case you still want the URL it is:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/pa ... /index.jsp
#172397 by slinky09
22 May 2007, 16:20
As to whether, or even how, VS flight crews are policing this I know not. However what I can say is that in my 14 VS flights this year so far not once has anyone asked me any question about my Dell laptop. That said, I have been following the rules and using laptop power with the battery taken out, even though I know my battery is not from a dud batch ...
#172400 by AlanA
22 May 2007, 16:50
Thanks guys
#172612 by Howard Long
24 May 2007, 16:39
Originally posted by AlanA
What's the situation now on laptop batteries and using the power points on Virgin aircraft?
I looked on the VS web site and could not find any mention now

Last Thursday on the VS55 LHR-IAD there was absolutely no doubt that batteries of _all_ laptops should be removed if using the in-seat power. I asked about how long this had been going on for and was told two months, which I thought strange as I'd not seen anyone mentioning here before. This was made clear in two separate announcements over the PA. I had to but my battery in a sick bag.

On Sunday on the VS56 IAD-LHR, no such restrictions were in place.

Not a big deal, but if your lappy was on its last legs it'd be a bit frustrating not to be able to charge it up during the flight.

Cheers, Howard
Virgin Atlantic