#19399 by slinky09
23 May 2007, 15:59
I flew back from LAX on VS8 overnight, plugged my Kensington inflight power adaptor into the power socket ... no power ... so I asked a FA as he passed by if he could check it was switched on and his immediate response was 'you can't use that'. I asked for more and he said it is the rule that you can only use Virgin's power adaptors. I checked with the FSM and she confirmed. Now I hadn't heard this before, maybe I should, but I've scanned the VS Web site and can't find mention. The crew last night said it's been policy for a while ... yet on all my VS flights this year no one has previously informed me that my personal power adaptor was banned.

So, did I miss something or is this new to you too?

Oh and incidentally, on a flight packed with problems, my in seat power didn't work anyway!
#172518 by Scrooge
23 May 2007, 16:04
Huh, I hadn't heard that either.

The sooner all airlines put 120/240 volt sockets in the seat the better.

Ok it means we still have to carry an adapter, but if you are heading to the US/UK you should have one anyways.
#172520 by Pete
23 May 2007, 16:22
Wonder what they do if they don't have the tips for your particular notebook? (like the MacBook Pro) - I've used my adapter before without problems, but would be rather ticked off (to say the least) if I couldn't use my own EmPower connector (especially if I had a lot of work to do!)

Edit to add: Ironically it's a MacBook that Virgin use to illustrate the fact their seats have EmPower. Grrrr...
#172526 by preiffer
23 May 2007, 16:51
I happily use my Kensington one every time I fly - nobody's said a word.

(In fact, IF VS did mandate this, they'd be the only airline I know of that did. Would be yet another factor in my choice of who to fly with, personally, as they DON'T hold enough adapters for even a quarter of the cabin, let alone all of it)
#172528 by Scrooge
23 May 2007, 17:06
Just an FYI, I have one of these.

A little bulky for sure, but it plugs into everything, in the two years I have had it it has served me very well on planes and in cars.
#172534 by manymiles
23 May 2007, 18:20
I ave been told off a few times and now hide mine so the crew cannot see it :)
#172551 by p17blo
23 May 2007, 21:50
Which is fine unless there is a real risk and then you cause a fire on-board! Would be nice to know if there is a problem or whether it is just 'policy'

Paul
#172552 by Pete
23 May 2007, 22:10
Virgin stock the Targus brand on board, which is the same as most travellers will have in their own laptop bag - certainly the same as the one I used with my PowerBook G4 (although Virgin didn't keep the right 'tip' at the time).

As I now have the MacBook with a magsafe connector, I have the Apple-made EmPower adapter. Can't see how that would be any more of a risk than the Targus universal adpater (especially since the Apple product is effectively just a cable, whereas the Targus has a box of tricks inline). If the reason for barring users own adapters is indeed safety-related, then I would love to read the rationale.

Pete
#172557 by slinky09
23 May 2007, 22:21
Originally posted by manymiles
I ave been told off a few times and now hide mine so the crew cannot see it :)

So there is a policy ... or there isn't ... or it's down to being caught and having an astute FA?

If there are safety concerns, this is a bit haphazard surely?
#172588 by Bazz
24 May 2007, 10:06
Perhaps a VS Staffer would like to contribute to this discussion, if anonymity is required, please contact one of the mods so that they may post on your behalf.

Thanks,
Barry.
#172592 by slinky09
24 May 2007, 10:34
From VS customer services:

"A recent change in policy allows passengers to use their own laptop power leads onboard all Virgin Atlantic flights offering this facility. We will, however, still be carrying a stock of leads onboard should passengers not have their own, as well as the usual selection of laptop tips."

After I contact VS directly - they didn't say when the policy changed, so may be y'all have been breaking the rules!
#172601 by FamilyMan
24 May 2007, 11:30
Good to hear you can use your own adaptors. I try not to work on flights as a rule but on my last trip they did not have a suitable adaptor for my HP PC.

Phil FM
#172613 by Howard Long
24 May 2007, 16:48
Originally posted by slinky09
From VS customer services:

"A recent change in policy allows passengers to use their own laptop power leads onboard all Virgin Atlantic flights offering this facility. We will, however, still be carrying a stock of leads onboard should passengers not have their own, as well as the usual selection of laptop tips."

After I contact VS directly - they didn't say when the policy changed, so may be y'all have been breaking the rules!

ISTR this changed about two years ago, allowing you could bring on your own adapter. It surprised the hell out of me - I've been using my own adapter on board for many years on VS.

I think that this, like my recent battery incident, is indicative of staff not being properly briefed. Little wonder that VS is often accused of inconsistency.

Cheers, Howard
Virgin Atlantic