#20230 by slinky09
17 Jul 2007, 08:44
I admit, I am confused by what's out there and am scanning for a new mobile phone, my criteria / decision making points are quite basis, as follows:

- a stylish phone
- quad band
- not locked (cos I might switch SIM cards from work to personal etc)
- don't need music - I have an iPod
- don't care about a camera - I have a pretty good one
- don't really need Web and email and all that - I have a Blackberry and a laptop

Oh, and it can't be a Motorola, I've completely gone off these due to the poor reception I've had on more than one recently.

Money isn't exactly no object and even though I really just want a simple, stylish, light, easy to use phone that works all over the world the iPhone does of course grip me ... but please, recommendations anyone?
#178280 by Scrooge
18 Jul 2007, 01:23
Well I got to play with an I-Phone yesterday :D

The good points

Great interface
Great MP3 player
Everyone wants one

The bad points

Slow as heck
Screen gets dirty quickly [:I]
Battery went dead quickly then refused to take a charge, meaning that it would have to go back to Apple to have the battery replaced...a deal killer for me.

Heard talk about the I-Phone model 2... but was sworn to secrecy...meaning quicker proc, a lot of the code being re-written...larger amount of memory...still with the stupid battery config...btw you didn't hear this from me [:w]
#178286 by Darren Wheeler
18 Jul 2007, 06:54
TBH, these days you can't go far wrong with a Nokia. I have the N73 and it works fine. OK it has an MP3 player and a camera but these days most have anyway. Just pop into a CPW and have a play with a few...
#178310 by Scrooge
18 Jul 2007, 13:26
Agreed, I have been more than happy with my 6682, the next time I go shopping for a phone, about 5 months, I will look at Nokia's first, though after reading the threads on here there are a number of phones I like the look off.The Blackberry Pearl is high on my list, if only they would improve the camera.
#178319 by Darren Wheeler
18 Jul 2007, 14:39
I did look at the Palm Treo but it's just a little too OTT even for a geek like me.

Quite agree about Motorola though. Never had a good one ever. Even our test ones have never worked properly.
#178570 by VS075
19 Jul 2007, 21:52
I can recommend the Samsung range of phones. I've got a D600 which has been great and meets three of your needs (stylish, quad band, not locked which is useful cos I've switched networks since buying it last September SIM free).

I like the range of new slimline Samsung slide phones on the market now which has replaced the D600. Only downside with my phone is that it has an average battery life of 3 days! [n]

Best of luck with your choice! [y]
#178579 by NS
19 Jul 2007, 22:25
Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
TBH, these days you can't go far wrong with a Nokia. I have the N73 and it works fine. OK it has an MP3 player and a camera but these days most have anyway. Just pop into a CPW and have a play with a few...

I use an N73 and recently the operating system has become VERY slow. Friends and colleagues say it needs a flash update.

In the meantime, using it has become very frustraing [n]
#178601 by Darren Wheeler
20 Jul 2007, 00:11
Go to the Nokia website and while connected with the data cable, run the update fireware tool. Mine was slow and buggy to start with too.
Virgin Atlantic