#183907 by Pete
19 Sep 2007, 10:37
Bootcamp requires a restart, where as Fusion lets you run Windows at the same time.

However, it's a couple of feature sets behind its competitor, Parallels, and as our very own Lady Sarah has more than a passing interest in Parallels sales commissions, you might want to consider going with that ;)
#184207 by HighFlyer
22 Sep 2007, 09:54
Yup, Pete has it. I look after Parallels Desktop for Mac for the UK. Fusion and Parallels are programs that virtualize Windows or Linux on Mac OS X, so there is no need to reboot and no partioning of your hard drive in order to run Windows at the same time as OS X, plus there are a whole host of additional features such as Coherence mode in Parallels that essentially lets Win apps appear to run natively on the Mac, launching from the dock in their own resizable window. If you are a Mac user but really want to run a handful of Win applications then virtualization is the way to go.

Thanks,
Sarah
#184209 by preiffer
22 Sep 2007, 10:09
Cool, cheers guys.

Sarah,

Don't suppose you know if Parallels and/or VMWare can provide support for the IR port when virtualising? [:?]
#184223 by HighFlyer
22 Sep 2007, 11:01
Don't suppose you know if Parallels and/or VMWare can provide support for the IR port when virtualising?

Yup, Parallels latest version (3.0) has support for the built in IR reciever on Macbooks. All of the ports and drives (USB, Bluetooth, FireWire, etc) will work within the virtual machine.

Thanks,
Sarah
#184320 by mas66
22 Sep 2007, 22:45
Just to add my 2c ....... I have used Parallels a huge amount in my old job and cant sing its praises enough. The usage it got in the office was widespread and varied without a single problem.

Now of course I have changed jobs and work for a company with a large HQ in Redmond ;) I dont use it quite so much !

Cheers

Mark :D
Virgin Atlantic