#21547 by ukcobra
18 Oct 2007, 10:41
I notice a few people on here have Mac Books & MBPs. You might be interested to hear that the memory for these laptops has dropped in price quite a bit recently.

1GB upgrades from Crucial are down to about £22 , and at dvd.co.uk they are down to around £15.

When I purchased my MBP in Aug 06, the memory was a lot more expensive. Depending on when you purchased your laptop, you might be able to get up to 4GB in it.

Dvd.co.uk are also a cashback member of Quidco.

Mark
#187210 by preiffer
18 Oct 2007, 11:47
Hmm. Unfortunately, Apple themselves haven't reflected this.

My 2GB upgrade (to take it to 4GB/2x2) on the MBP is still showing as a "+£450" on top of the base 2GB/2x1 upgrade. Although it's a LOT more money, I still don't want to go down the route of invalidating my AppleCare warranty.
#187214 by Pete
18 Oct 2007, 12:21
Originally posted by preiffer
Hmm. Unfortunately, Apple themselves haven't reflected this.

My 2GB upgrade (to take it to 4GB/2x2) on the MBP is still showing as a "+£450" on top of the base 2GB/2x1 upgrade. Although it's a LOT more money, I still don't want to go down the route of invalidating my AppleCare warranty.

I bought a Kingston 2GB for my MB Pro just last week (about £80 with shipping from Dabs). Aren't memory upgrades classed as 'user-installable' because you only have to take off the memory panel, rather than disassemble the whole beast?
#187219 by ukcobra
18 Oct 2007, 12:49
Memory Upgrades do not invalidate Applecare warranty, as they are User upgradeable items. When troubleshooting issues, they may ask for you to reproduce the problem with the extra memory removed.

When I was having shut down issues, there were no issues with my non-apple memory being installed. It looked and smelled like a battery problem anyway (and it was).