#250648 by mas66
12 Aug 2007, 12:22
Hi All

Anyone point me in the direction of a reputable company to short term rent a cellphone in the USA (Seattle). My wife is flying out for part of a lengthy work trip and thought it might pay to rent one rather than her spend fortunes roaming with Voda.

Cheers

Mark [:D]
#415924 by Nottingham Nick
12 Aug 2007, 12:58
Rather than rent, she may be better off buying a cheap pay as you go phone from somewhere like Walmart.

We use TracFone, but there are others out there.

TracFone home page.

The initial phone costs are minimal, but you would have to look at call charges to get the best deal.

Nick
#415929 by mcmbenjamin
12 Aug 2007, 15:40
Well WalMart and about everywhere has prepaids for sale. WalMart has TracFone, Verizon, AT&T, Boost and some others that are basically the same (use the same network).

I would use Verizon prepaid as the coverage rocks and they own the network unlike other providers
#415930 by mas66
12 Aug 2007, 17:08
Cheers Guys

A trip to Walmart it is ..... Many Thanks

Mark [:D]
#415932 by andrew.m.wright
12 Aug 2007, 17:43
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Rather than rent, she may be better off buying a cheap pay as you go phone from somewhere like Walmart.

We use TracFone, but there are others out there.

TracFone home page.

The initial phone costs are minimal, but you would have to look at call charges to get the best deal.

Nick

Another vote for Tracfone which works very well. Don't forget if you're calling it from the UK the credits on the phone go down. In other words calling a Tracfone is not free for the person with the phone.

A cheaper option is Skype which is free computer to computer. Again handsets are available in stores for arpund $20 - $40.
#415933 by preiffer
12 Aug 2007, 17:48
Or use Virgin Mobile's prepaid service. Just pick up a phone at any Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. $0.20/min International calls in/out of the UK. [y]
#415938 by mcmbenjamin
12 Aug 2007, 19:11
TracFone and Boost have a certain 'ghetto-niche' branding. Sprint is getting better but I would not be caught dead with a Sprint, TracFone, or Boost phone.

Go with Virgin Mobile (be it they use Sprint's network) or Verizon.
#430912 by David
07 Jan 2008, 00:28
Just bought a tracfone from Publix yesterday.

Phone $14.99

400 minute / 1 year service card $49.99 but **Double minutes**

Phone activated within 10 mins

International dialing activated within 1 hour

After taking cost off phone of which is negligable, calls work out around 3p per minute to the UK. Compare that to my Orange company phone which is around £1 per min.

Only small fly in the ointment is that you cannot call UK mobiles

David
Virgin Atlantic