#252806 by mitchja
17 Jan 2008, 19:24
Apple have released a software upgrade for the iPod Touch costing 12.99 which adds Email, Google Maps, Notes, Stocks info & Weather info (so that's basically pretty much everything the iPhone has except the phone and SMS bit)

Details here

You buy this upgrade via the iTunes store using your existing iTunes account to pay for it. It then updates your Touch once your sync it.

To get this upgrade, you will first need to update your iPod Touch to the newest software/firmware version (1.1.3) which is free though and which can also be done via iTunes (although there's a new version of that out today as well (ver. 7.6)

Regards
#432014 by Nottingham Nick
17 Jan 2008, 19:44
Thanks for that James.

I need a new iPod, and am debating between the big memory of the classic and the whistles and bells of the Touch.

I think this has made my mind up for me. [8D]

Nick
#432020 by mitchja
17 Jan 2008, 20:02
Still playing with my upgraded Touch here, having now set up my email. Another cool feature is that you can now add a button to your home screen for any webpage so I now have a V-Flyer and a VS button on my home screen [:D] [y]

Regards
#432023 by Tinkerbelle
17 Jan 2008, 20:27
So do you think it is worth the £12.99 upgrade? [:?]
#432024 by mitchja
17 Jan 2008, 20:38
Oh yes [:)]

Regards
#432025 by locutus
17 Jan 2008, 20:38
Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
So do you think it is worth the £12.99 upgrade? [:?]

I think it's a rip off, it should have been free or a lot cheaper. Apple seem to be sticking two fingers up at all the people that bought one at launch and for Christmas. I am sure they held off till after Christmas to maximise revenue.

That said, I paid for it, the mail app is probably the most worthwhile of the lot. The ability for it to work out where you are, just by using wireless APs is quite impressive too, as there's no GPS inside.
#432027 by locutus
17 Jan 2008, 20:42
Oh, and I did get £1.01 back from using Quidco to buy the update. So it's now £11.98. Much better value! [:?]
#432029 by mitchja
17 Jan 2008, 20:45
Poo...I forgot about buying via Quidco [:I], oh well never mind.

As I bought the Touch outside the UK at least I got the 16Gb version for the same price as the UK 8Gb version [:w]

Regards
#432044 by easygoingeezer
17 Jan 2008, 22:41
Originally posted by mitchja
Still playing with my upgraded Touch here, having now set up my email. Another cool feature is that you can now add a button to your home screen for any webpage so I now have a V-Flyer and a VS button on my home screen [:D] [y]

Regards

does that work for the phone too, how is it done?
#432048 by locutus
17 Jan 2008, 23:08
Originally posted by easygoingeezer

Regards

does that work for the phone too, how is it done?

Go to a web site, and press the + sign at the bottom of the page. I assume it's the same on the iphone, it's the same software.
#432059 by Tinkerbelle
18 Jan 2008, 00:59
I caved in and bought the upgrade - there are some features that I will not use such as the Shares application but the mail feature is very handy and one of the main reasons I decided to download it.

BTW - I've typed this from my Ipod Touch!

PS - when you sync your Ipod, does anyone know what the 100mb of 'other' files could be as I have no photos or videos synced yet?
#432069 by HighFlyer
18 Jan 2008, 10:34
PS - when you sync your Ipod, does anyone know what the 100mb of 'other' files could be as I have no photos or videos synced yet?

'Other' is the store for voicemail, the O/S, your web cache, SMS Dictionary, etc. I also believe that cover art goes in there too. Each users 'Other' folder will be sized differently, its not a standard 100MB, though it shouldnt be any larger than a few GB. Its size did increase a lot after the updates though.

Thanks,
Sarah
#432071 by Tinkerbelle
18 Jan 2008, 11:07
Originally posted by HighFlyer

'Other' is the store for voicemail, the O/S, your web cache, SMS Dictionary, etc. I also believe that cover art goes in there too. Each users 'Other' folder will be sized differently, its not a standard 100MB, though it shouldnt be any larger than a few GB. Its size did increase a lot after the updates though.

Thanks,
Sarah

That makes sense - thank you. [:)]
#432081 by Stevieboy
18 Jan 2008, 13:25
Just downloaded mine[y]
However, cannot work out how to set up my hotmail account. So far I've gone to mail selected 'other' then it asks for alot of information such as name and address which I assume is me and my @hotmail.com address. It then asks for host name for incoming and outgoing mail server[?].
I've looked at Ipod touch help but it seems to tell you everything other than how to set up an account[n]

-Steve
#432085 by locutus
18 Jan 2008, 14:07
Originally posted by Stevieboy
Just downloaded mine[y]
However, cannot work out how to set up my hotmail account. So far I've gone to mail selected 'other' then it asks for alot of information such as name and address which I assume is me and my @hotmail.com address. It then asks for host name for incoming and outgoing mail server[?].
I've looked at Ipod touch help but it seems to tell you everything other than how to set up an account[n]

-Steve

Have you paid Hotmail for POP/IMAP access? I believe they changed it some time ago for newer members?
#432086 by Stevieboy
18 Jan 2008, 14:13
Originally posted by locutus
Originally posted by Stevieboy
Just downloaded mine[y]

-Steve

Have you paid Hotmail for POP/IMAP access? I believe they changed it some time ago for newer members?

Ah that would explain it, ta

-Steve
#432097 by mitchja
18 Jan 2008, 15:04
Yahoo and Google offer POP access to your webmail for nothing so I dont see why Hotmail/Windows Live cant as well [V]

If you have your webmail account POP details already set-up in your mail client software, when you sync your Touch, there's an option in iTunes to sync. your mail settings which copies all the required mail account details to your Touch.

Regards
#432153 by miopyk
19 Jan 2008, 14:26
While I think it's really cheeky for Apple to charge for this upgrade I absolutely love it. It's getting to the point now where my touch is almost making my iBook obsolete. I certainly know I won't be taking on holiday anymore.

Miopyk[8D]
#432157 by HighFlyer
19 Jan 2008, 14:48
Originally posted by miopyk
While I think it's really cheeky for Apple to charge for this upgrade I absolutely love it. It's getting to the point now where my touch is almost making my iBook obsolete. I certainly know I won't be taking on holiday anymore.

I thought that at first, but on reflection, Apple have released a free update for the iPhone and this very similar paid upgrade to the Touch. It seems fair to not devalue the iPhone by offering this similar update for free, especially as not everybody will want these extra features.

Thanks,
Sarah
#432163 by mitchja
19 Jan 2008, 15:47
Having just watched the iPhone update vid on the Apple web site, the maps software is exactly the same as what's now on the Touch but obviously on the Touch, it wont tell you where you are when you hit the location button.

I've no isues with the software upgrade been free for iPhone users.
More than happy with the software upgrade I've just paid for on my Touch. Like others have said the iPod Touch is now so much more than just an MP3/4 player.

Regards
#432311 by miopyk
21 Jan 2008, 15:21
After playing with this for the last 2 days I've just realised that there is still no flash player which is annoying. Surely this would be a simple upgrade that would vastly improve the user experience.

Miopyk[8D]
#432313 by locutus
21 Jan 2008, 16:05
Having just watched the iPhone update vid on the Apple web site, the maps software is exactly the same as what's now on the Touch but obviously on the Touch, it wont tell you where you are when you hit the location button.

Actually, it does try and work out where you are, based on the wireless APs it can see. Quite clever really, and fairly accurate.
#432327 by mitchja
21 Jan 2008, 18:25
Thanks for that [y]

I did wonder as I've only had it connected to my Wireless router at home so far.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic