#436934 by Darren Wheeler
02 Mar 2008, 22:34
Not quite sure the point in that. If you have a laptop, a USB cable is hardly a huge increase in weight and compared to $100, a whole lot cheaper too. Also a lot of laptops come with a built-in SC reader too.
#436943 by HighFlyer
02 Mar 2008, 23:18
Oooh. Now, I quite like this as my Mac doesnt have an SD card reader, though from looking at the site, I'd need one to install the Eye-Fi software onto my Mac in order to use it so not really a win there. Still, nice gimmick though [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#436944 by mcmbenjamin
02 Mar 2008, 23:26
Good points! I was thinking along the lines of carrying one less cord and being simple. May go 'buy and try' one...
#436945 by Darren Wheeler
02 Mar 2008, 23:46
The other option is a mini USB card reader. Plugs straight in. Again much cheaper and a lot less to go wrong.
#436948 by Pete
03 Mar 2008, 00:56
Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
The other option is a mini USB card reader. Plugs straight in. Again much cheaper and a lot less to go wrong.

Or, indeed, on those MacBooks (& certain Win notebooks), an Express Card 34 gadget, like 21-in-1 card from Sonnet which reads and writes pretty much anything.
#436953 by mcmbenjamin
03 Mar 2008, 03:24
Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Or just cut out the middle bit all together Sandisk. About £15.

Oh that is cool [y].

My thinking with the Eye Fi is transmitting photos to an iPhone via WiFi. This way a user could e-mail the photos or upload to Facebook ASAP 'On the Go'. That would be an excellent selling point. Wonder if one could do that...
#437041 by Scrooge
03 Mar 2008, 19:34
Here is the problem with it....it transmits the wifi signal to a laptop say,which is great, however the pictures don't end up on the lappy, you use the included software to set up an account on say flickr or webshots, you then set up an Eye-Fi account and link them together... the card then sends the signal to the laptop, which sends it to the eye fi server, which sends it to the hosting site...with me so far ???

Now the big problem....to upload a 5mb picture takes a very slow 6 minutes or so thats over a T-1 line with a 14mb upload speed [:0], fire off a bunch of pictures using a modern DLSR and you may as well set it down and go have dinner...sleep for 8 hours and it may be done..

In the end it is a great idea, just poorly done.
#437043 by Scrooge
03 Mar 2008, 19:40
Originally posted by RichardMannion
If we are talking cool, here is a proper USB stick:

http://www.ironkey.com

Nah...just do what I do with mine..include a copy of a nice little drive nuker that wipes the drives clean once you double click it...ok so the key drive is gone, but you can smile in the knowledge that whoever was nice enough to steal it....just lost their computer as well [:D]
Virgin Atlantic