#254020 by adjonline
08 Apr 2008, 23:05
Does anyone has any opinions on decent air power adapaters?

I can see an old thread discussing this (http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp? ... ms=adapter), but it's rather dated, and I was wondering if anyone is having joy with any newer products?
#440445 by Decker
09 Apr 2008, 00:02
Going strong with iGo
#440480 by Darren Wheeler
09 Apr 2008, 10:05
Depends on your laptop. You'll find that those sold to businesses are generally well represented but the home market isn't so well off.

You may need to visit the makers website and cross-refer which adaptor will work with your laptop.
#440511 by Howard Long
09 Apr 2008, 13:10
Originally posted by andrew.m.wright
Originally posted by adjonline
Does anyone has any opinions on decent air power adapaters?

I can see an old thread discussing this (http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp? ... ms=adapter), but it's rather dated, and I was wondering if anyone is having joy with any newer products?

Kensington fan here [y]

Me too. They are less bulky than the Dell supplied adaptors, even the combined AC/DC units that work with the EmPower sockets on board VS and other carriers. A combined AC/DC unit means one less thing to carry.

Only problem is they use a non-standard AC chassis connector and do not come with a US cable in the UK supplied models, supporting only UK square and European round pin. So you still need to carry a US-UK adapter. Doh!

H
#440578 by adjonline
09 Apr 2008, 21:20
Unfortunately, it's a HP machine; that does look very slim.

I've been looking at the Kensingtons and the igo; does anyone happen to know off-hand what the maximum wattage the Virgin power points support?
#440587 by Kraken
09 Apr 2008, 22:05
I used my Kensington 120W DC power supply in an Upper Class seat last November - it powered my HP laptop fine for a good few hours of the flight. I am unsure if it provided enough current to charge the battery, but it powered the laptop, which is what mattered.

James
#440589 by Darren Wheeler
09 Apr 2008, 22:10
The Empower sockets are only rated to 70w. Above that they are designed to trip.

The socket will only provide enough power to run the laptop, not to charge it too.
#440599 by adjonline
09 Apr 2008, 23:23
Ok, that's great: that means there's no point in buying an adapter rated about 85W.
Virgin Atlantic