#254627 by Tinkerbelle
30 May 2008, 05:41
Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem.

About two weeks ago I noticed a hairline crack on the base of my Macbook on the right hand side of the palmrest. After a lot of swearing and a lot of wondering of how the hell it got there as I haven't dropped the laptop and it is still reasonably new, I tried to forget about it and just put it down as 'one of those things'.

Anyway fast forward to now and me still wondering about how it happened that I find out on the net that it is a known Macbook defect. There's even a Flickr page dedicated to it.

I know I shouldn't have any problems with Apple fixing it as it is still within its warranty but am wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it has, how long did it take Apple to fix.

Edited to add pic of my poorly Mac:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/330cioh.jpg[/img]
#444405 by 2Tinks
30 May 2008, 08:52
My first one was like that, but I didn't take it back while it was in warranty. I wish I had because it just got worse and split on both sides too. By the time it was 18 months old there were cracks all over it, the battery was bulging out of the back and everywhere there was a screw, the casing had split.
#444406 by HighFlyer
30 May 2008, 08:55
This happened to an old Mac colleague of mine. Took a week to repair as the Mac was sent off to an authorised repair center but was at least free as the Mac was under warranty. You'll need to make an appointment at an Apple store to get it booked in - hopefully you can arrange it around one of your trips so you are not without it too long.

Thanks,
Sarah
#444450 by David_C_H_1
30 May 2008, 16:59
Mine cracked in exactly the same place, not long after the warranty ran out. I just carefully glued it back together.

David