#255043 by Darren Wheeler
30 Jun 2008, 22:09
TheDibb July newsletter tipped me off about this little nugget that appears to have passed unnoticed.

It has been ruled by the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that any electronic item you carry such as laptop, PDA, MP3 player, phone etc etc. is subject to the same searches as normal luggage.

One of many sources
#447111 by Nottingham Nick
30 Jun 2008, 22:19
I had read about it, but assume (and sincerely hope) that any such searches will be targeted, intelligence led affairs rather than - pick a random holiday maker / business person.

To be honest, I had always thought that they would have such powers for use in their more thorough examinations anyway. [:I]

Nick
#447112 by Darren Wheeler
30 Jun 2008, 22:28
I'd hope so too, but as we all know DoHS officials are known to be a little 'erratic' at times.
#447113 by HighFlyer
30 Jun 2008, 22:35
There was a thread on FlyerTalk a while ago from a traveller who was subject to such a search. It resulted in an interesting debate, particularly for those who may be carrying intellectual property or developmental work on their machines. I'll try and find it out as it was rather interesting.

Thanks,
Sarah
#447124 by mcmbenjamin
01 Jul 2008, 01:19
Note to self: Keep current copies of 18 U.S.C. 2257 statements of all performers' images stored on my hard drive...
#447131 by pjh
01 Jul 2008, 09:47
There was an article in the Guardian recently about this (sorry, can find it in the on line service). The writer said that his approach was to carry a laptop with a minimal operating system image, downloading data to it from a server once in the US.

Paul
Virgin Atlantic