#897928 by slinky09
07 Mar 2015, 08:27
I've taken a plunge and opted for a new Android phone for work (for global use), alongside my iPhone 6+ that I have personally.

Without wanting to start a 'my phone's better than your's' I'm amazed at how clunky and poorly designed the UI is on Android. Deleting messages for example takes WAY to many clicks and presses and swipes, in fact everything has more buttons and clicks to press than on iOS. It seems very clunky to me. I have a Sony Xperia Z3, which I understand is considered a good phone, but even then it's a bit nobbly and the edges feel rough. I've managed to personalise my home screens but even those menus and the resulting layout look like they were designed in third grade.

I am perfectly willing to consider that I'm a) old and slow to learn, b) while I don't slavishly love Apple, I do highly rate the effort that goes into the ergonomics of Apple products and I am used to them. But, any tips V-Flyers on how to make the thing work better? Can you configure short cuts, is the voice command good for example?
#897933 by Silver Fox
07 Mar 2015, 10:04
I am not an iphone user primarily because they don't do dual SIM phones and I detest itunes. That being said, I agree about the Androids being clunky in comparison to what I have seen but then again I only buy the cheaper Androids (3G, £70, dual SIM Samsung). If I am with iphone users - and of course it is hard not to be - I am impressed with the look, feel, speed, of an iphone. Perhaps there is an Android out there like that but I doubt I will see it ! Now, after the rambling, what most people will do with the Android is to root it, and put custom roms on it that change the way it behaves significantly but I would say it is not for the faint of heart. The good news is that there are a lot of Android forums where the geeks hang out and usually have a fix/workaround for almost everything. The voice command for me worked quite well, but then again, I am not really into all that so it is now turned off, but I do get your point.
#897977 by whiterose
07 Mar 2015, 17:25
I bought a Samsung Galaxy a little while ago. And discarded it after a few weeks because, like you slinky09, I just couldn't get on with it. As Silver Fox suggests, I visited umpteen Android forums, tried out all sorts of recommended tweaks. And still gave up.

I'm not an Apple person, to some extent because I resent the sky-high prices, but mostly because I'm that niche person, a die-hard Windows fan. So I'm back with Nokia and Windows. But I have to whisper that I like the slim cases of iPhones and will be looking hard next time I change to find a Windows phone with a slimmer profile.

But Android? No and no and no.
#898031 by locutus
08 Mar 2015, 11:21
Try ChompSMS for messages, there's so many apps out there, you just need to try a few to find one you like.
#898470 by at240
12 Mar 2015, 20:21
I recently moved from an iphone to Android - as much as I admire the design and ease of use of Apple products, and I really do, I just could no longer see the point in paying (literally) 5 times the price of a competitor for the same functionality.

Having previously seen Android on a noticeably sluggish Sony phone, I was delighted by my Moto phone, which was considerably less clunky -- and much faster than my previous iphone, as it happens. The different implementations of Android seem significant to me. Yes, there are some niggles, but as others say, you just find an app to get round them...
#898472 by Heikoworld
12 Mar 2015, 20:40
slinky09 wrote:I've taken a plunge and opted for a new Android phone for work (for global use), alongside my iPhone 6+ that I have personally.

Without wanting to start a 'my phone's better than your's' I'm amazed at how clunky and poorly designed the UI is on Android. Deleting messages for example takes WAY to many clicks and presses and swipes, in fact everything has more buttons and clicks to press than on iOS. It seems very clunky to me. I have a Sony Xperia Z3, which I understand is considered a good phone, but even then it's a bit nobbly and the edges feel rough. I've managed to personalise my home screens but even those menus and the resulting layout look like they were designed in third grade.

I am perfectly willing to consider that I'm a) old and slow to learn, b) while I don't slavishly love Apple, I do highly rate the effort that goes into the ergonomics of Apple products and I am used to them. But, any tips V-Flyers on how to make the thing work better? Can you configure short cuts, is the voice command good for example?

I am glad to see that it is not just me that thinks this way, there are far to many clicks to do most things on Android.
As for your final comment on Apple products, they are made to perfection (most would say that) but you pay for the privelage of an Apple product, be it phone or computer.
I am retired but cannot give up work? computers and phones came into my life and I embraced them, they are more than useful, but I like most feel that little thought to the users has gone into most of these devices, but-Hey Ho.
Virgin Atlantic