#9272 by Nottingham Nick
04 Dec 2005, 21:15
According to The Daily Mail online...."SRB is looking to combine Virgin's mobile phone business with cable television company NTL to create a new powerhouse in the media industry..... The proposed deal - which will see NTL rebranded Virgin - will provide the UK's first "quadruple play" service, made up of mobile phones, fixed-line phones, internet broadband and television."

Sorry if that is too much quoting... see the link to the article for full details.

Nick
#86721 by preiffer
04 Dec 2005, 22:48
Wasn't there some weird tie-up between virgin.net and the 49/51% stake that NTL had? They bought them out entirely, didn't they?
#86723 by Nottingham Nick
04 Dec 2005, 22:56
Virgin.net is certainly run by NTL now... I don't know the ownership details.
#86728 by fozzyo
04 Dec 2005, 23:25
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Virgin.net is certainly run by NTL now... I don't know the ownership details.

I saw the headline on the Beeb site but haven't read it yet. My immediate thought was about the announced merger NTL are going through with Telewest. Which i see gets a passing mention at the bottom of the article.

Mat xxx
#86729 by Pete
04 Dec 2005, 23:33
There was a news item on the Beeb tonight. Looks like an interesting tie up, which could potentially create a company (Virgin/NTL/Telewest) which could be a big media player. The NTL/Telewest merger already creates the dominate cable organisation in the UK (with some pretty hefty infrastructure for TV broadcasters - anyone who's been to IBC in Amsterdam can see the huge booth NTL takes!) Putting Virgin into the mix serves two purposes; 1) to add mobile phones to the portfolio, and 2) give the company a 'face' the public will buy from.

Possibly an announcement about this tomorrow?

Pete
#86806 by fadge
05 Dec 2005, 14:42
Let's hope that the Virgin brand does not suffer because of NTL's poor service.[n]

Fadge
#86913 by catsilversword
06 Dec 2005, 07:34
Originally posted by fadge
Let's hope that the Virgin brand does not suffer because of NTL's poor service.[n]

Fadge

My thoughts exactly. Never heard anything good about NTL and recently, my daughters have been trying to get a phone line installed by them, 6 times so far - and when they call to try and find out why they haven't turned up, they're told they don't have that info! I think Mr B would have his work cut out or the Virgin brand will definitely suffer - I usually embrace most things Virgin, but am already turning away at the NTL prospect....
#86914 by Nitrox
06 Dec 2005, 07:38
Originally posted by catsilversword
I usually embrace most things Virgin, but am already turning away at the NTL prospect....

Bit drastic isn't it ? [?]:)
#93676 by BelfastFlyer
21 Jan 2006, 14:11
I dont mind NTL, I use their internet and couldnt be happier with the service... though i dont think 'NTL mobile' will have the same ring as 'virgin mobile'!
Virgin Atlantic