This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8676 by easygoingeezer
31 Oct 2005, 19:26
i need to take 6 walkie talkies withme to
orlando so we can keep in touch around the parks.

question is, where shall
i pack them in my case or in my hand luggage.
i thought on an xray they might look a bit suspect.

any ideas
#82766 by Nottingham Nick
31 Oct 2005, 19:34
I always pack my US mobile phones in my case, and have never had a problem.

Six will take a lot of room up in your hand luggage.

Nick
#82777 by David
31 Oct 2005, 22:33
EGG, check that the frequencies are ok in the US. I know that you can have problems with UK models.[:?]

That is if they are UK models.[:I]

regards

David
#82926 by p17blo
02 Nov 2005, 00:29
Walkie Talkies are country irrelevant as they transmit from point to point and not via any cells or aerials. There are, however, licencing issues and regulations you may wish to consider, then again maybe you wish to ignore them[8D]

I generally pack mine in the case and I have never had a problem

Paul
#82948 by easygoingeezer
02 Nov 2005, 10:19
decided not to risk the UK ones, I have two usa ones and will buy some more when I get there.

Thanks for all your help
#82955 by AlanA
02 Nov 2005, 11:02
How about buying some PAYG phones? I gather they are cheap as chips in places such as Best Buy and walmart etc..
or those ones (our American posters can give more info) which act as phones on long distances, but as walkie talkies at nearer distances
Just had a quick look, not detailed, but this is what I mean
URL Demonsterfied
#82957 by AlanA
02 Nov 2005, 11:17
I am looking at this from Wal Mart
URL De-monsterfied

$19.98 each and then a pre paid card for use every time we are there.
#83040 by NYCFlyer
03 Nov 2005, 00:39
I bought some Boost Mobile Nextel phones for an operation we ran out in ORD and EWR/NYC early this year and they were well worth the money. The radio function was amazing (ORD - EWR no problem) and the prices were really good. Shame Dolphin Telecoms similar type of service in the UK never really took off.

Graham
#83328 by p17blo
05 Nov 2005, 13:20
When I was last in MCO I found a new PAYG provider that had a two-way radio function that used the cell network. There was a flat charge of $1.50 per day that you used this function and it would work like a walkie-talkie to another similar phone (No actual call charges) from say MCO to SFO - Now that is some range! Thinking of picking up a couple when I am next out there.

The product was called a BOOST Phone. I remember seing something like them a while back, I think the UK ones where called Dolphon phones. I have also seen the alamo bus drivers using something similar.

Anyone used these?

Also, with the BOOST phone you need to top up every 90 days, but only if you wish to keep your same number. I have been using a Vigin PAYG in the US for several years, never bothers me if it expires, you get another 60 days grace and even then you can re-activate it any time with a different number

Paul
Virgin Atlantic