This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#924257 by SlimpyJones
27 Jul 2016, 11:41
Hey all.

I'm trying to find a decent VS car hire partner for a trip I've got next month. Looking through the Flying Club partners page it looks like Sixt are the only ones that offer benefits for FC Gold members, such as discounts, upgrades and such. Unfortunately they don't have an outlet at SNA airport where I'll be collecting, so it looks like they're out.
Am I right in thinking that there used to be a closer partnership with Hertz who offered something similar?
I'm honestly not very familiar with the different car hire loyalty schemes so if anyone has any experience/recommendations I'd be very grateful :)
#924260 by Neil
27 Jul 2016, 13:10
To be honest, I think car hire loyalty schemes are vastly over rated. I'm Hertz PC and apart from a few bonus points and a closer bay, I don't notice any other benefits.
Upgrades are only to a certain level of car and I always hire above it anyway .
The very fact you're looking for some sort of loyalty benefit, without being a regular customer of theirs, is a big part of the problem in general. To many companies give status away nowadays to partners etc, that is just devalues any real benefits for those truly regular to that specific brand.
Specifically with VS, you can earn some FC miles on most, but otherwise I would personally find a good deal online and book that.
Neil
#924330 by VS075
29 Jul 2016, 19:40
Yep I'd go along with that.

For example, back in March I went to MCO for 1 week with a friend and the best price was with Avis via the FC website, so I got the FC miles. However, in September when I'm going for longer and with family (so bigger car needed), we've booked with Dollar as they offered the best price for our needs and the difference in price far outweighed any temptation to go with another firm just to get the points.

Best advice is to shop around and look at both the non-partner firms and the special websites some firms have setup for FC members, then go with whoever's offering the best price for your needs.