This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940076 by ColOrd
06 Dec 2017, 00:11
Interesting, so is it confirmed that these are the ex Air Berlin planes?

I assume it doesn't take that long to retrofit just seats?
#940078 by David
06 Dec 2017, 00:38
If they are refitting seats, will that include upper as well ?

Wonder if that mean 4 additions to the fleet as it seem a lot of effort for a short term problem.

If that’s the case, new routes maybe :-) ?

David
#940083 by David1946
06 Dec 2017, 10:25
Does anybody have a seat plan for Air Berlin as to how their Upper/Business is laid out. If the additional aircraft are staying in the fleet and we get more flights from Manchester that's fine. Otherwise if we are to receive an inferior product to our friends down South will this be reflected in lower fares!!!
#940085 by pjh
06 Dec 2017, 11:15
David1946 wrote:Does anybody have a seat plan for Air Berlin as to how their Upper/Business is laid out. If the additional aircraft are staying in the fleet and we get more flights from Manchester that's fine. Otherwise if we are to receive an inferior product to our friends down South will this be reflected in lower fares!!!

A quick search of t'interweb reveals this article in which both a plan and pictures are embedded.
#940086 by David1946
06 Dec 2017, 11:36
Thanks for the information. I assume looking at the diagram and pictures that all Business class seats have aisle access. If not we may be looking for other carriers out of Manchester which would be a shame after 12 years of flying only VS. As to fares I have found Man fares about the same as those from the south although I haven't used the JFK flights but that may be down to competition from Thomas Cook.
#940087 by pjh
06 Dec 2017, 12:57
David1946 wrote:Thanks for the information. I assume looking at the diagram and pictures that all Business class seats have aisle access. If not we may be looking for other carriers out of Manchester which would be a shame after 12 years of flying only VS. As to fares I have found Man fares about the same as those from the south although I haven't used the JFK flights but that may be down to competition from Thomas Cook.

Direct aisle access is mentioned in this article.
#940088 by VS075
06 Dec 2017, 13:41
oceanscape wrote:Relieved it's MAN routes.

I think those who are flying from MAN on the aforementioned dates/routes in PE will beg to differ. Likewise in UC if they had their hearts set on the UCS seat and the bar.

Although I imagine this won't necessarily be good news if you're in PE now facing a downgrade, the only good thing about this is it should hopefully mean no flights are cancelled as a result of the ongoing 787 engine issues. In the case of MAN, given that VS' competition on all bar ATL is Thomas Cook (who are expanding their long-haul presence at MAN every year to the point where they're effectively MAN's local long-haul airline) and you would think is a prime candidate for a LCC like Norwegian to start long-haul flights, I think credit is due for at least maintaining a presence when the easier option might have been to cancel and put passengers on flights ex-LHR - something AA tend to do if their MAN flights are seriously delayed/cancelled for whatever reason. I should also add that Thomas Cook have at least one A330 on long-term hire from Air Tanker which has a different hard product to the 'native' A330 fleet, major one being lack of seat-back IFE.

I presume RR or Boeing or the leaseco (if the 787's are leased) are picking up the tab for these hire-ins?
Last edited by VS075 on 06 Dec 2017, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
#940089 by VS075
06 Dec 2017, 13:47
ColOrd wrote:Interesting, so is it confirmed that these are the ex Air Berlin planes?

I assume it doesn't take that long to retrofit just seats?

I suppose there's things such as reconfiguring the reading lights/oxygen masks above seats to be taken into consideration as part of any config/seat adjustments, as well as the IFE network.
#940096 by Sealink
06 Dec 2017, 16:51
The assumption that VS UC is superior to the likes of the Air Berlin product is funny.
Food on DL is head and shoulders above VS.
Are Lingus transatlantic business class is actually fantastic.

VS could not have foreseen a wing clip and that 787 issues would still be ongoing. Maybe Air Berlin’s planes will surprise you.
#940101 by mattpawlow
06 Dec 2017, 20:45
Per our friends at A.Net, G-VNAP has been taken out of storage and sent to MNL. Likely for re-config?

Interest development but i don't think this changes anything from the above -- saw this idea being floated awhile back before G-VRAY's incident and such.
#940103 by mitchja
06 Dec 2017, 21:34
Sealink wrote:The assumption that VS UC is superior to the likes of the Air Berlin product is funny.
Food on DL is head and shoulders above VS.
Are Lingus transatlantic business class is actually fantastic.

VS could not have foreseen a wing clip and that 787 issues would still be ongoing. Maybe Air Berlin’s planes will surprise you.

Saying one airline product is better than another though is irrelevant.

The issue here is that you are buying a VS product and not getting that particular VS product if you end up flying on most of the MAN routes.
#940110 by MoJoJo
08 Dec 2017, 07:40
From the VS FB page

we’ve made a few changes to our flying programme because of an industry-wide supply issue with the Rolls Royce engines we use on our Boeing 787 Dreamliners. While some of these aircraft are temporarily parked, we’ve been working to make sure our customers’ travel plans can continue with certainty and in comfort. To support this, we intend to add four A330-200 aircraft to our fleet. They’ll be Virgin Atlantic aircraft, operated by our own pilots and world class cabin crew, delivering our own service and experience. Whilst the aircraft won't initially have a Premium cabin, we will be looking to fit them in 2018. Those customers effected by the lack of Premium will be contacted and options will be offered,
#940128 by David1946
10 Dec 2017, 10:39
Just checked our Upper Class booking on VS110 from Atlanta on March 26th. Originally it was a VS A330 then a 747 but has now changed to the replacement A330-200. Our outbound in February is still, at the moment, a VS A330 and will, hopefully, stay that way as we are in PE.
Virgin Atlantic