This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#253770 by drezman
25 Mar 2008, 17:43
Its been puzzling me for a while and maybe I put it down to my lack of knowledge on the subject. So maybe you Guru people who have the knowledge and insider information to set me straight.

(Feel free to correct any inaccurate information if any this is from the top of my head)

I have been following for some time now, Virgin's tracks on the entire issue of Global Carbon Offsetting and Renewable energy. The Press is having a field day at the latest attempt by Virgin to spear head this when it took the first flight using renewable energy sources. Despite the fact one engine on the 747 used was the only engine using this fuel from Brazilian nuts the flight was somewhat of a 'start'. Richard is being blamed here for 'faking' the breakthrough not in the fact that the fuel wasn't used but that it was not logistically or commercially viable to use the fuel and to produce it to be used widely would be virtually impossible.

A large percentage of the Virgin Group profits are apparently going into this research, this was also announced some months now in the press.

We are now encouraged to offset our carbon emissions from the flights we take by giving to the Gold Standard Carbon Offset Scheme which is independently audited and monitored.

For the importance of this issue and the money that the V:Boss is willing to put behind the scheme, that introducing more aircraft & new routes would be second on the list of company investments. The GSCOS would be investing in more than an Indian Electric company and Indonesian Water plant. That VA would think twice about leasing Ladybird G-VAST to Top Gear to blow a few cars across a runway.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=24iZDl-U8es

I say that but then I say as well that I'm all for the new 787 Dreamliners which push the boundaries in green usage and longer routes which means we travel further with our favorite airline. And the introduction of the A380 which will carry more people for less and would eventually effect the number of flights taking off. It makes good business sense to help growth of the airline this I know. I don't profess to be the most intelligent of folk around but my experience in engineering has taught me how to analyze an immediate problem, in a 3D space making sure that as you're constructing in a 3D space you think, plan and most importantly solve in the same environment. And in this case Virgin seems to be lacking in substance over the issue.

I've now confused at the rationale of the V:Bosses what am i missing in the issue to mend and put together my perception of the airline's attempt to make its CE as minimal as possible. I've for the first time not given to the scheme because of its perplexity. Have i missed more of what's happening? Is anyone involved in this work, is anyone else puzzled?

I might be going out on a limb here lining up for some ridicule but I think the best place to find out is here.

What is the Real Deal?[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]