This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#916645 by Seyre1972
31 Jan 2016, 20:25
Dear collective,

Looking for your experience/views on what is acceptable attire for a night flight in UC.

I should explain I'm an ahem , "larger chap" so doubt the supplied sleeper suit will be a good fit. :blush: Usually I'd knock about the house in t-shirt and grey marl above knee shorts. So wonder if this would be acceptable, or get a light pair of sweatpants so as not to show off my hairy calves ... :D

While I appreciate not "tea with the Queen" levels of what to wear - don't want to make a social faux pas ....

Plan to do a trip report for both the outward (PE) and return (UC) for my long weekend jolly to NYC. So will include these details.

Regards,

Steve
#916652 by stuart_f
31 Jan 2016, 21:42
You paid for the ticket - you wear what you want.

I tend to arrive in smart jeans and collared shirt for the clubhouse then I carry a pair of plain black tracksuit bottoms and a baggy t-shirt in my carry-on and change in the loo after top of climb.

One tip I would offer is to wear a set of slip-on shoes. Handy for security and (excuse the mental image) a must for visiting the loo after a few hours...
#916653 by Bretty
31 Jan 2016, 22:25
I suggest silk pyjamas and a pair of suede slippers with the family crest... :cool:

But seriously, whatever you're comfortable in. I'm also of larger proportions and can tell you that the biggest size sleep suit offered is large, and one looks like one has been trussed up for the oven. All is safely gathered in :blush: ;-)

I either take my own jimjams or as you suggest a pair of tracky bottoms / sweats and a t-shirt. Just remember no bare feet, and shoes in the loo is advice well heeded.
#916662 by oldboy
01 Feb 2016, 09:11
Absolutely wear what you feel comfortable with, I never wear the sleep suits, my wife however normally changes in to her's prior to take off on a night flight. I always wear slip on shoes though when flying, as others have said it makes trips to the loo much easier.
#916664 by Seyre1972
01 Feb 2016, 10:36
Chaps,

thank you for the replies - more or less confirmed what I already knew - but always good to check !!

I'll make full use of the second carry-on bag - ensuring I have the all important "toilet shoes" - and a plastic bag to put them in afterwards ..... :blush:

Stuart_f - don't worry re me turning up to JFK Clubhouse in a shell suit .... :-D Usual attire is chinos/jeans and either a collared shirt, or a Polo shirt. Also read your V useful guide on FlyerTalk re Upgrading VS using Flying Club Points.

As an aside - my brother-in-law went out with a Virgin CC in the 90's. She told us the in-house nickname for the MAN-MCO route was the " Shell Suit Express" ..... :-P

Regards,

Steve
#916670 by marshy11
01 Feb 2016, 13:34
Lol Bretty!

Seyre, as others have said, it's up to you and you want to be comfortable. I take my own jimjams which aren't jimjams but loungwear you may wear at home in front of the TV/fire.
#916675 by pjh
01 Feb 2016, 15:29
Seyre1972 wrote:
I'll make full use of the second carry-on bag - ensuring I have the all important "toilet shoes" - and a plastic bag to put them in afterwards ..... :blush:

One top tip to round this out. Get changed in "the facilities". UC hairy nethers are no more attractive than anyone else's. :) I'm still in therapy from being in UC more than once where someone - always a "chap" - decides to change into their PJs in the aisle. :mrgreen:
#916680 by dickydotcom
01 Feb 2016, 17:22
pjh wrote:
One top tip to round this out. Get changed in "the facilities". UC hairy nethers are no more attractive than anyone else's. :) I'm still in therapy from being in UC more than once where someone - always a "chap" - decides to change into their PJs in the aisle. :mrgreen:

I agree with part of that: not changing in the aisle
but disagree with the changing in the facilities bit, If by that you mean toilet. Its a toilet.
Personally I'll convert the bed, get under the duvet and change lying down. I will be in 6K though which is a bit private anyway.
Dick D
#916683 by Kraken
01 Feb 2016, 17:36
pjh wrote:One top tip to round this out. Get changed in "the facilities". UC hairy nethers are no more attractive than anyone else's. :) I'm still in therapy from being in UC more than once where someone - always a "chap" - decides to change into their PJs in the aisle. :mrgreen:

Could not agree more - have been on a MCO-MAN flight where the guy in either 11 or 12K stripped right down to his boxer shorts in the aisle to put on his sleep suit before takeoff. Nice. Not. Certainly put you off the champagne - which at the time was Lanson too.

As to visiting the facilities, at the very least wear the UC amenity kit socks. At least if you don't stand in any liquid matter [which could be water] on the toilet floor you can peel the socks off inside-out before landing and your underlying socks should be pretty clean.
#916684 by pjh
01 Feb 2016, 18:09
dickydotcom wrote:but disagree with the changing in the facilities bit, If by that you mean toilet. Its a toilet.
Personally I'll convert the bed, get under the duvet and change lying down. I will be in 6K though which is a bit private anyway.

I wouldn't trust my fumbling around not to cause an inadvertent reveal :blush: so risk use of the toilet (particularly when on the 787 with the bigger space) equipped with socks from the amenity kit and a spare pair of wellies I always have in my carry on.
#916686 by Hamster
01 Feb 2016, 19:08
Kraken wrote:As to visiting the facilities, at the very least wear the UC amenity kit socks. At least if you don't stand in any liquid matter [which could be water] on the toilet floor you can peel the socks off inside-out before landing and your underlying socks should be pretty clean.

Wish VS handed out slippers.
#916700 by Bretty
01 Feb 2016, 23:22
Hamster wrote:
Kraken wrote:As to visiting the facilities, at the very least wear the UC amenity kit socks. At least if you don't stand in any liquid matter [which could be water] on the toilet floor you can peel the socks off inside-out before landing and your underlying socks should be pretty clean.

Yeah, would be good, we had slippers in our amenity kits in J when flying with ANA to/from Japan. And in typical Japanese style I'm sure there were separate toilet slippers when you stepped in the loos - which is typically Japanese. A quirk, but a lovely one.
#916701 by pjh
02 Feb 2016, 00:08
Bretty wrote:
Hamster wrote:

Yeah, would be good, we had slippers in our amenity kits in J when flying with ANA to/from Japan. And in typical Japanese style I'm sure there were separate toilet slippers when you stepped in the loos - which is typically Japanese. A quirk, but a lovely one.

Curses! I could have done a great business in Hilton slippers on VS flights over the years. If it wasn't for those pesky kids...
#916731 by Maximus
02 Feb 2016, 16:46
Bretty wrote:I suggest silk pyjamas and a pair of suede slippers with the family crest...

You Sir, clearly spend too much time down Jermyn Street :D
#916734 by Maximus
02 Feb 2016, 17:07
I collect the hotel slippers, which I never wear in the hotel, especially for flights then leave them behind afterwards.

For nightwear I favour more traditional attire:

Nightgown.jpg
Nightgown.jpg (14.49 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
#916744 by Bretty
02 Feb 2016, 22:28
Maximus wrote:
Bretty wrote:I suggest silk pyjamas and a pair of suede slippers with the family crest...

You Sir, clearly spend too much time down Jermyn Street :D

Yes I clearly do :blush: :blush: I'm loving the nightgown btw, bit windy though! And no jokes about wee willy winkie ;-)
#916748 by ultreen1
02 Feb 2016, 23:16
You're all forgetting the silk dressing gown, you'll see me at the bar in this number having my nightcap... :cool:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
#916754 by honey lamb
03 Feb 2016, 00:07
ultreen1 wrote:You're all forgetting the silk dressing gown, you'll see me at the bar in this number having my nightcap... :cool:
image.jpeg

Nope, that is trashy. The full length nightgown with nightcap and candle is far more sexier from both sides of the divide !!
#916760 by Bretty
03 Feb 2016, 12:47
ultreen1 wrote:You're all forgetting the silk dressing gown, you'll see me at the bar in this number having my nightcap... :cool:
image.jpeg

R-Pattz is looking very metro there, and I'm trying to work out whether he's going for a "come hither" look or it's just a vacant expression. You know, "the lights are on but no-one's home" sort of thing. ;-)

I disagree with HL though, it's not trashy at all.
#916775 by ultreen1
03 Feb 2016, 19:11
Bretty wrote:
image.jpeg

R-Pattz is looking very metro there, and I'm trying to work out whether he's going for a "come hither" look or it's just a vacant expression. You know, "the lights are on but no-one's home" sort of thing. ;-)

That's not R Patz, that's me in the pic!
#916779 by Bretty
03 Feb 2016, 21:36
ultreen1 wrote:
Bretty wrote:
image.jpeg

That's not R Patz, that's me in the pic!

Of course it is dear boy, I didn't recognise you in that light. You've had some work done. Cheekbones accentuated, onk like a ski slope, some filler. Expensive work. When are you updating your forum avatar?
#932488 by NV43
10 Feb 2017, 06:31
If you find yourself in Hong Kong, trundle along to Sam's Tailor*
(Ground Floor' K&L Burlington Arcade, 90-94C Nathan Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui; M - S 0940 - 1900, Sun 1000 - 2359) and ask him to make you up a 'VS' sleep suit in black cotton.

Inexpensive, worth a visit to see the shop, have a beer and, probably, end up with some decent shirts and/or suits; top tip, when purchasing a suit, buy two pairs of trousers as you will then have a suit that will last for 10+ years.

Lauren prefers, and is easy to spot, her moose onesie with the buttoned flap, at the back.

Hotel slippers, as previously stated, are great for use during comfort breaks.

Bare feet; just, please, no.

Not even in your seat.

*Other tailors and destinations are available.
Virgin Atlantic