This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931725 by Virgin AU Flyer
23 Jan 2017, 12:30
Hi all,
I have family travelling to Tampa via Atlanta. They are on VS from MAN to Atlanta then change to Delta for connection to Tampa. It's the first time they have done this. I know they need to collect luggage and go thru immigration at Atlanta but if anywhere has done a connection recently please could you confirm what exactly they have to do after that. It's been a long time since I flew indirect and never thru Atlanta. Thanks for any help.
#931727 by Virgin AU Flyer
23 Jan 2017, 12:58
Hi David
Many thanks, very helpful link. Do you know if flying from Manchester makes any difference in terms of checking in for both flights?
On the Plane Train do you know if it will be T for Tampa, same Letter as for your Orlando.
They are on Virgin Upper then Delta first on. Do you know what lounge they can use in Atlanta?
Thanks again for the great help.
#931728 by SlimpyJones
23 Jan 2017, 13:09
They should get boarding passes for both flights at Manchester, there's no need to check in for the second flight as it'll be done automatically.
As far as the terminal, it could be any of the six domestic terminals, A-E or T. They're all a short hop on the train though. :)
They should be able to use any of the Delta Skyclubs in ATL. I'd recommend using the one that is closest to their gate, as they are numerous throughout ATL!
#931729 by Virgin AU Flyer
23 Jan 2017, 13:16
Thanks SlimpyJones. Just to confirm on luggage. They will pick up after Inmigration then drop off after you've turned left outside the exit hall before going thru security? Do they drop it at a connections desk?
#931730 by sungod
23 Jan 2017, 13:19
VS will check your baggage through to destination and issue all boarding passes

immigration, a person can only use esta machine if they've entered with esta at least once before

collect checked baggage from carousel

pass through customs

hand your checked bagged to the guys at the transfer belt on your left

pass through security, hand baggage x-ray etc. - tip: if you want to bring in duty free alcohol or other liquids over 100cc, you MUST get it sealed in a tamper evident bag on purchase at MAN, otherwise it'll be seized at this point

check the screens for which terminal next (installing the DL app on your phone can help here, it can also track your checked baggage to see if it made the transfer ok), then take the little train, it's quite quick moving between terminals

if your flight is in DL F you can use the DL sky club lounges at ATL, nothing special but there's a bar, snacks and it's away from the hubbub, you'll also have 'sky priority' which gives you first boarding (and access to priority security lanes at some airports)

if you use the DL lounge, they may issue you a new DL boarding pass, use this at the gate (not the VS issued one which won't work anymore)

on return, the VS flight will be terminal F, just get the train from arrival terminal to F, bags will be checked through and transferred direct plane to plane, no need to collect them etc., there're no security/other checks on the way

in terminal F, flying UC you can again use the DL sky club, here it's a larger one with more choice, though i prefer to get a proper meal at ecco then go to the lounge to relax a bit

duty free has to be collected at the gate when boarding, don't forget (like i nearly did!)

the dfa site allows you to pre-purchase on-line which can be more convenient, again they have it ready for you at the gate...

https://www.dutyfreeamericas.com

..there's a max/min time to order ahead of flight (which i can't remember)
#931744 by tontybear
23 Jan 2017, 15:21
sungod wrote:tip: if you want to bring in duty free alcohol or other liquids over 100cc, you MUST get it sealed in a tamper evident bag on purchase at MAN, otherwise it'll be seized at this point

This is a good point.

Many staff in duty free will ask if you have a connection and will use the tamper proof bag if you say yes.

What you can also do is slip your DF purchases into your case in between the customs inspection and the bag drop. I've seen people do this all the time and done it myself as well as I didn't want to get caught out inadvertently.
#931747 by chocksaway
23 Jan 2017, 15:47
So glad DUTY FREE was mentioned for connecting flights. Are you perfectly ok to take a bottle of red wine through security, after customs & bag drop (which is in a tamper proof bag) at ATL? I didn't fancy having red tie-dyed clothes!!!
#931750 by SlimpyJones
23 Jan 2017, 15:51
Yes you are - I've managed to do this some years ago with a bottle of Amarula I bought! Just make sure the crew stick the receipt in the bag for the security inspector. It will be flagged for checking but they have allowed it through after verifying the bag.
#931769 by Katcool
23 Jan 2017, 20:28
Can the Delta lounge be used at Atlanta when travelling UC on VS to ATL then economy from ATL to MCO?

We used the lounge on the return journey at Christmas as we were UC back to MAN. We're travelling the same route at Easter so would be good if we could chill in the lounge on the way out.
#931770 by SlimpyJones
23 Jan 2017, 21:07
I wouldn't have thought so Katcool - I can only assume because your in UC and then economy that you are on separate tickets? If this is the case then I would imagine that Delta would see you just as a main cabin traveller and without DL or VS status you won't get in.
#931771 by Katcool
23 Jan 2017, 21:27
That's what I thought. We have a three hour layover again at Easter but it passed quickly at Christmas. Thanks for your reply.
Virgin Atlantic