This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931798 by gumshoe
24 Jan 2017, 16:51
Preparations for the big move tomorrow seem well in hand. There's no trace left of VS landside in the South Terminal while over in North the self check-in area looks ready to be unveiled first thing. They're doing a pretty good job of keeping it all under wraps though!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.75 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
#931800 by gumshoe
24 Jan 2017, 17:02
It is.

Yes, BA have taken over Zones A & C (where VS used to be for those who don't know) and it's almost all open apart from what I presume is the First Class check-in area which is still behind hoardings.

Lots to do overnight as BA still occupy Zone A in North until the last flight this evening.
#931818 by tontybear
25 Jan 2017, 01:58
I've just seen on flyer talk that the BA lounge is not ready for occupation other than the First area for to electrical certification issues.

Other passengers will be using (drum roll) the space formerly known as the VS CH!

I hope the VS branding is still up there!
#931819 by SlimpyJones
25 Jan 2017, 07:45
tontybear wrote:I've just seen on flyer talk that the BA lounge is not ready for occupation other than the First area for to electrical certification issues.

Other passengers will be using (drum roll) the space formerly known as the VS CH!

I just read that too and had a little chuckle.
#931821 by joeyc
25 Jan 2017, 08:00
gumshoe wrote:Well I'm delighted to say the new Clubhouse is very much open and most excellent it is too! Pictures to come but I have more pressing needs (ie a Bramble)!

Waiting on the edge of my seat here gumshoe ... surely you've been able to inhale enough bramble to power the shutter finger :-P

How is the new check-in experience?
#931833 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 09:01
Haha I've just posted lots of pics in a new thread.

Check-in was fine - very empty as it was early and the printer at the desk I used wasn't working but engineers appeared instantly to fix it. LOTS of senior staff around to make sure all runs smoothly!
#931836 by joeyc
25 Jan 2017, 09:21
gumshoe wrote:LOTS of senior staff around to make sure all runs smoothly!

And where are they the rest of the year ;-)

In fairness, I don't recall the last time I had an issue with VS check-in that wasn't resolved very quickly. BA on the other hand... "oh, the printer's broken".. **stares at it hoping it will fix itself** :-P
#931842 by SlimpyJones
25 Jan 2017, 09:35
tontybear wrote:I've just seen on flyer talk that the BA lounge is not ready for occupation other than the First area for to electrical certification issues.

Just had a look at the FT thread. It looks like they are using the old CH pretty much as it was with just a BA sign up. They've laid out a simple breakfast buffet. Certainly no cooked breakfasts for them... :-D
#931844 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 09:42
Nor champagne!

To be fair to BA they've done well to get that up and running less than 18 hours after VS left. But there's really no excuse for the new BA lounges not to be ready - they've had almost a year, including a 2-month extension.
#931852 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 11:40
So it seems BA are using two temporary lounges until their own facilities are ready in the south terminal.

The old VS Clubhouse has been rebranded overnight as the "Speedbird Lounge" and is now the temporary business class lounge. I've been told it's being operated on behalf of BA by the No.1 Lounge.

Meanwhile the existing No.1 Clubrooms are being used for First/Gold passengers (and for Business Class on the JFK, BDA & JER flights, presumably to manage the numbers).

There are various rumours about when BA's new lounges might open, ranging from "a few days" to May. It seems the problem involves fire safety certification - let's hope it's not another Berlin Brandenburg situation!

In the meantime I think those temporary lounges will be stretched. The Clubhouse used to be a squeeze with 6 or 7 VS flights with small UC cabins. BA have dozens of flights a day and lots of premium/status pax.
Virgin Atlantic