This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932072 by ratechaser
29 Jan 2017, 00:52
Evening all,

Phew is all I can say... after coming perilously close to booking an Easter flight to Lanzarote with Ryanair (austerity measures don't you know...), lo and behold, I spot 4 miles flights to BGI that have popped up in prime school holiday time. Bingo!

So, normal service has sort of returned to the RC household, apart from the fact that we are all in Y right now. And my body really isn't Y shaped (stop sniggering at the back please).

So my question, are there any decent tools out there that I could employ to track and alert me to any PE or UC miles availability that might come up? Or am I just going to have to keep doing hourly searches on that disaster of a website for the next 2 months?

<Rant On> Oh and while we are on the subject, it beggars belief that VS still can't manage miles bookings including children online. And then when you phone them, they still really can't manage it because they insist on charging APD for the children with a vague promise of a refund later on. Seriously? >-( <Rant Off>

Anyway, thanks for any advice. It's been 6 years since my last trip to Barbados so I must admit that I'm rather excited. Now I just have to find somewhere to stay...

RC

P.S. by the way, I know that the received wisdom is that Y reward flights tend to be a waste of miles, but in effect I saved £2060 off the cash flight price for 160k of miles, which I didn't think was terrible value overall. And it means that I'm not flying Ryanair. To Lanzarote. So there.
#932140 by ratechaser
31 Jan 2017, 12:52
stuart_f wrote:Expertflyer claims to be able to alert you when award tickets are released. I think this feature was added at the back end of last year, shortly after VS shifted to using the DL booking engine.

Thanks Stuart. Is that a 'premium' feature on ExpertFlyer? I wasn't able to find a way to set up an alert on my (free) account, although I'll admit I'm not really proficient with the site...

Doh, never mind, I can now see that it's something you have to pay for. Never mind!
#932183 by ratechaser
01 Feb 2017, 15:21
Yep I can see the value if hunting regularly. In my case though it's going to be one specific set of dates, and on the outbound, it looks like J is full (J1 C0 etc) and PE not far behind (W9 S0 etc) so if anything people will be joining us in Y (9s across the board).

Inbound looks slightly better, but not much. Which is odd as usually I see the overnight return get more filled up at the pointy end.

Anyway, chance of 4 Ps/Gs either way... zero I think... certainly not worth paying for an alert...
Virgin Atlantic