This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932362 by David
06 Feb 2017, 11:06
I'm sure I read something about Virgin now having not a DTCI as per Heathrow, but an arrangement to be dropped off outside the new Upper Check in at the North Terminal at Gatwick.

We could be arriving into LHR and need a car to take us to LGW but am guessing the journey at approx. 9.30 in the morning could be bad with traffic.

Can anyone shed any light on the new arrangements ?

thanks

David
#932366 by David
06 Feb 2017, 11:59
Ok, a little further info.

From the VS web site (and that took some finding !)

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/vi ... sfers.html

Prebook your private chauffeur service and we'll whisk you to and from the airport at both ends of your journey, and to either the Upper Class Wing at London Heathrow, or right outside check in at London Gatwick.

So the question should be, can any upper customer use this facility if you have a self booked car or does it have to be a VS CDC ?

thanks

David
#932386 by stuart_f
06 Feb 2017, 21:52
I'm not sure there's any 'facility' to use. I read that as marketing spin for, "we'll take you to passenger drop-off and, with luck, we'll leave you at the nearest door to the Virgin check-in area"
#932387 by gumshoe
06 Feb 2017, 22:06
Emirates have a drop-off point for their CDCs right next to their check-in entrance, which is the same as VS's.

Whether any vehicle other than an Emirates CDC is allowed to use it I don't know but that would be ideal for VS.

The roadway & ramp at the other end of the terminal is currently a building site but looks like it could become a similar drop-off point. Maybe that'll be for VS although it's a bit of a walk from there to check-in.
#932388 by aldojani
06 Feb 2017, 22:20
David wrote:I'm sure I read something about Virgin now having not a DTCI as per Heathrow, but an arrangement to be dropped off outside the new Upper Check in at the North Terminal at Gatwick.

We could be arriving into LHR and need a car to take us to LGW but am guessing the journey at approx. 9.30 in the morning could be bad with traffic.

thanks

David

Flew UC to Orlando last Friday and was dropped off by the Tristar chauffeur at the top of the ramp, right outside the entrance to the new VS check in zone :-)

A
#932391 by pjh
07 Feb 2017, 06:38
aldojani wrote:Flew UC to Orlando last Friday and was dropped off by the Tristar chauffeur at the top of the ramp, right outside the entrance to the new VS check in zone :-)
A

Was there someone to help with your luggage? There was when we used the ramp with EK in the summer.
#932392 by David
07 Feb 2017, 09:10
aldojani wrote:
David wrote:I'm sure I read something about Virgin now having not a DTCI as per Heathrow, but an arrangement to be dropped off outside the new Upper Check in at the North Terminal at Gatwick.

thanks

David

Flew UC to Orlando last Friday and was dropped off by the Tristar chauffeur at the top of the ramp, right outside the entrance to the new VS check in zone :-)

A

That's sounds good - was the Tristar car booked by yourself or was it part of the flight ?

thanks

David
#932415 by aldojani
08 Feb 2017, 01:27
David wrote:
aldojani wrote:

thanks

David

A

That's sounds good - was the Tristar car booked by yourself or was it part of the flight ?

thanks

David

Hi David

It was booked through the Virgin 'my booking' ( 'I' category ticket)

Kind regards
#932416 by aldojani
08 Feb 2017, 01:28
pjh wrote:
aldojani wrote:Flew UC to Orlando last Friday and was dropped off by the Tristar chauffeur at the top of the ramp, right outside the entrance to the new VS check in zone :-)
A

Was there someone to help with your luggage? There was when we used the ramp with EK in the summer.

No there wasn't - we wheeled them through ourselves (only about 50m walk)
#932417 by David
08 Feb 2017, 09:38
Hi David

It was booked through the Virgin 'my booking' ( 'I' category ticket)

Kind regards

That's great, thanks

David
#932427 by Kraken
08 Feb 2017, 19:05
I strongly suspect this "facility" is only like what the Emirates CDC's do at Manchester for drop-offs - namely they know the doors nearest to the EK check-in and will do all they can to find a space close by to the said doors (no guarantees though).

Interestingly, there are a couple of arrivals car parks that the various CDC's (Emirates - so PCS [for now] at MAN & Tristar for Virgin use at MAN) - can only assume these are not used for drop-offs as they're on the ground floor arrivals level, but they are close to the terminal (not as close as a departures level drop-off near to the door though).

I would not be surprised to see Emirates drop PCS at MAN & BHX before too long... the Emirates Chauffeur Drive in Dubai, whilst all branded Emirates (cars / uniforms etc) is actually I believe Tristar.
#932428 by pjh
08 Feb 2017, 19:14
Kraken wrote:I strongly suspect this "facility" is only like what the Emirates CDC's do at Manchester for drop-offs - namely they know the doors nearest to the EK check-in and will do all they can to find a space close by to the said doors (no guarantees though).

If it shares the same facility as EK at LGW, your suspicions are ill founded :). I thought it would be as you described but when we went with EK in the summer we we taken through a barrier, up a "private" ramp and deposited very close by the EK check in desks. A couple of chaps then appeared to cart our luggage for us.
#932450 by buns
09 Feb 2017, 06:21
Buried at the bottom of the VS Gatwick Move page is this very interesting nugget about dropping off -

We’ll have a number of free ‘kiss&fly’ spaces at the North Terminal for people dropping off customers travelling with Virgin Atlantic. After you have checked in online, you’ll be able to pre-register your car details so that the car park system will give you access. Registered customers will be able to park anywhere on Level 5 of Car Park 5 (this is the same level as the check-in concourse) free for one hour.

Now of course in the immortal words of the 60's TV Show " Your mission Jim, should you choose to accept it, is to find how you easily pre-register your car details" :-D :-D

Needless to say any reference to self destruct will not necessarily apply to the message :-P

buns
#932463 by buns
09 Feb 2017, 13:51
UPDATE

Whilst the car was going in for some much needed TLC (before the assault on my wallet) in Redhill, I took the opportunity to pop down to Gatwick North Terminal to see for myself the new set up.

As pjh has recounted, UC Trister passengers were being dropped off at the top of the ramp and there is only a 20 metre walk (under an awning decked with Emirate signage) before you enter the North Terminal at the door to Zone A where the VS Check In is located.

I spoke to a very nice member of VS staff who said they were still working on greeting processes in place to be met, but as it was even the Emirates passengers were taking in their own luggage this morning.

Level 5 of the Car Park was empty

IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 6690 times

buns
#932466 by David
09 Feb 2017, 14:26
Sounds like it's slowly coming together. :D

Don't suppose you found out if it was only Tristar booked with a qualifying flight or a Tristar car booked separately would also be able to use it ?

Thanks for the update Buns

David
#932469 by buns
09 Feb 2017, 14:42
David wrote:Sounds like it's slowly coming together. :D

Don't suppose you found out if it was only Tristar booked with a qualifying flight or a Tristar car booked separately would also be able to use it ?

Thanks for the update Buns

David

Whilst I did not ask specifically, based on my experience using the South Terminal, Mrs Buns and I were always dropped off at the upper level when using Tristar - even when flying PE!!

I will know for sure when I travel to MCO in early March, having seff booked a Tristar pickup ;-)

In the meantime:
Attachments
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 6660 times
#932473 by pjh
09 Feb 2017, 16:48
buns wrote:
I spoke to a very nice member of VS staff who said they were still working on greeting processes in place to be met, but as it was even the Emirates passengers were taking in their own luggage this morning.
buns

I like to think it was just for us then ... :). Probably thinking "look at that poor old b*gger, best give him some help..."
#932489 by buns
10 Feb 2017, 07:09
pjs

I like to think it was just for us then ... :). Probably thinking "look at that poor old b*gger, best give him some help..."

I think it had more to do with how bitterly cold it was yesterday - nobody in their right mind would want to spend time out in that cold :D

buns
#953973 by aldojani
25 Jan 2020, 11:29
Are VA UC chauffeur passengers still being dropped off at the top of the ramp, right outside the VA check in area t North Terminal ?

It's been 3 years since we last flew out from LGW.

Thanks
#953976 by buns
25 Jan 2020, 18:46
aldojani wrote:Are VA UC chauffeur passengers still being dropped off at the top of the ramp, right outside the VA check in area t North Terminal ?

Thanks

In theory the answer should be "yes".

However, it does depend on who is sent to collect you on the day.

Back in November, we booked a CDC through Virgin (using miles) but on the day, the driver who came to pick us up, whilst an Addison Lee Driver (who now own Tristar), he was not authorised to use the ramp. The ramp is controlled by gates operated by a card that only authorised drivers posses.

As a result we were dropped off in the place where everyone else is.

I did complain to VS on the day and was given some miles for my trouble.

Hope this helps - good luck on the day

buns
#953977 by aldojani
25 Jan 2020, 20:25
buns wrote:
aldojani wrote:Are VA UC chauffeur passengers still being dropped off at the top of the ramp, right outside the VA check in area t North Terminal ?

Thanks

In theory the answer should be "yes".

However, it does depend on who is sent to collect you on the day.

Back in November, we booked a CDC through Virgin (using miles) but on the day, the driver who came to pick us up, whilst an Addison Lee Driver (who now own Tristar), he was not authorised to use the ramp. The ramp is controlled by gates operated by a card that only authorised drivers posses.

As a result we were dropped off in the place where everyone else is.

I did complain to VS on the day and was given some miles for my trouble.

Hope this helps - good luck on the day

buns

Hi Buns

Many thanks for your response - we are in the same position, having 'purchased' the chauffeur service through VA airmiles.

I think we'll approach this as assuming we will be dropped off with the masses . . . but will be pleased in the event we get dropped off at the top of the ramp.

cheers, A
#954077 by buns
01 Feb 2020, 09:30
Just to report this morning’s experience.

An Addison Lee Ford Galaxy arrived (on time) so whilst a trouble free journey, no ramp and of course a £30 difference in cost had we been paying ourselves :-(

Have told VS they were short changed by Addison Lee / Tristar this morning.

Currently enjoying all the fabulous Gatwick Clubhouse has to offer so all is good in the world.

buns
#954088 by aldojani
02 Feb 2020, 07:06
buns wrote:Just to report this morning’s experience.

An Addison Lee Ford Galaxy arrived (on time) so whilst a trouble free journey, no ramp and of course a £30 difference in cost had we been paying ourselves :-(

Have told VS they were short changed by Addison Lee / Tristar this morning.

Currently enjoying all the fabulous Gatwick Clubhouse has to offer so all is good in the world.

buns

Hi buns

Thanks for the update.

That's a shame that AL/Tristar were unable to go the extra distance of a ramp drop-off, although i'm sure the Clubhouse offered their usual level of service and comfort to compensate.

We're heading out to MCO on Thursday and are looking forward our pre-flight visit to the clubhouse.

My 11 year old daughter has asked to write the outbound trip report as part of a school project - will post here once she's happy with it.

A
Virgin Atlantic