This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932565 by marshy11
11 Feb 2017, 16:07
Hev60 wrote:
dickydotcom wrote:
pjh wrote:I can offer up MrsPJH to assist here. She is not afraid to prod the nearest snorer (me) with the accompaniment of a stage whispered

Wiil
You
Stop
That

Apparently I do.

Mrs does much the same. (nudge me that is, not snore)

Dick D

Good examples on how to solve (help) the problem. However not easy to prod or nudge your partner when sleeping in UC :-P

Not that I use one but I bet a "selfie stick" would do the trick!
#932570 by TimCrawley
11 Feb 2017, 16:28
I guess for quantity, if not volume, it all depends on the departure airport?

#932571 by Gerrym
11 Feb 2017, 17:18
Bretty wrote:Tongue very firmly in cheek here...
I'm a fatty, there's no denying it. I'm about 20 stone. I snore, as my earlier post said. I snored before I was fat. I snored when I was a kid. I've always snored. I drink a little too.

When flying in the pointy end I, and most likely half the cabin (at least!) will have been in the lounge and will be under the influence of alcohol. Some more than others no doubt. Alcohol contributes to snoring.

I'm conscientious and considerate of other poeple, but also accepting that there's things outside mine and other people's control, and that people are not doing to deliberately upset others.

I'm generally non-violent and very tolerant.

If some skinny teetotal drama queen stumbled down the cabin and deliberately kicked me to wake me I'd end up in the care of the Air Marshall. Because it would most likely be the last thing they did. EVER. :-O :-O ;-) ;-)

Does it have to be a skinny teetotal drama queen?? :)
#932572 by Gerrym
11 Feb 2017, 17:19
gumshoe wrote:Sorry but there is no god-given right to peace on a night flight.

If someone chooses to spend the whole night talking, that is their prerogative - however selfish and annoying you may find it.

It's public transport. If you want guaranteed peace & quiet, book a private jet.

Absolutely not! Their is such a thing as common courtesy and if you were next to me talking all night you would be wearing my eye shades as a gag!! :)
#932573 by Gerrym
11 Feb 2017, 17:20
What? --- snorers are overweight drunken selfish people? -time to get your blinkers off, reread your post and think about who is being selfish![/quote]

Is that true?, well I didn't know that, thank you for enlightening me. Can't agree with you, but hey, we all have opinions
#932574 by pjh
11 Feb 2017, 17:49
Hev60 wrote:
dickydotcom wrote:
pjh wrote:I can offer up MrsPJH to assist here. She is not afraid to prod the nearest snorer (me) with the accompaniment of a stage whispered

Wiil
You
Stop
That

Apparently I do.

Mrs does much the same. (nudge me that is, not snore)

Dick D

Good examples on how to solve (help) the problem. However not easy to prod or nudge your partner when sleeping in UC :-P

Believe me, MrsPJH always finds a way... :)
#932584 by daisymay
11 Feb 2017, 22:53
I feel your pain, on a flight from Las to Lgw in p.economy (night flight) , the people in front of my both had their reading lights on for the whole flight, admittedly they are entitled to but I just wanted an hour or so of sleep!!!
It got to such a joke when I noticed that the gentleman(I use that title very loosely ) was fast asleep snoring.
When they both got up after 7 hours to use the toilets I was so mad I switched their lights off but , yes you guessed it , they put them straight back on again on their return.The whole cabin was in darkness except their two lights beaming.I know they provide eye masks but I find them so uncomfortable and presumed that after a few hours they would turn them off and as time got on I was too mad to ask them kindly!!!
#932612 by whiterose
12 Feb 2017, 16:00
I have single-sided deafness because of a tumour on my hearing nerve, so I can turn on my other side and be less affected by extraneous noise, whether from revellers at the bar or someone snoring. Trust me, it is the only advantage, the rest of the time is spent saying "Sorry, didn't quite catch" and variants, and being unable to sort out who is saying what in multiple conversations.

V-Flyer is usually a friendly, mostly informative, occasionally humorous forum and as with posts about seat recline, this thread has sometimes alas become heated. Maybe we could try to separate out some aspects.

Some people think the important point is personal freedom, which for them means you are free to make noise whether at the bar or when sleeping. Others feel that freedom should be to enjoy a peaceful time in your seat without pax at the bar or one passenger snoring disturbing everyone else, and these views may be irreconcilable.

But there is also the type of flyer you are and this informs your view. Many are frequent business flyers as are both my sons. One of them for instance in the next few weeks will fly from NYC to Mumbai, Bangalore, Hong Kong and the UK, four return flights, eight legs in all. Each of them will be overnight and he'll need to be on top form the next day. Imagine his sleep is disturbed by pax at the bar or a snorer. He'll be fed up, next day will take even more effort but it's only one leg of eight flights that's been wrecked.

Now imagine the passenger who is flying to a holiday destination, it's his only holiday that year, he's saved hard for it out of post-tax income and has been looking forward to it, dreaming about it, counting down the days ever since he booked. By watching his budget carefully, he's managed to afford to fly UC. And his sleep, his night flight on his flat bed, is disturbed by pax at the bar or a snorer. He too will be fed up, next day will take even more effort for him but for him, unlike my son, it will be the only overnight leg of his two precious flights that has been ruined.

And I suspect that is why there are such polarised views on the forum, it depends which camp you're in, whether a business flyer or a leisure flyer and that may inform your view about whether anything should be done about the pax at the bar or the snorer.

But please, do let us continue to be a forum where we respect another view even if we don't share it.
#932613 by hiljil
12 Feb 2017, 16:26
Really well put , Whiterose , and I echo your hopes that the forum continues to be friendly even when we have differing views.
#932631 by Gerrym
12 Feb 2017, 21:33
Whiterose, great post.

I suppose I would be classed as a very frequent business flyer and perhaps that is why I am sensitive to this subject. Perhaps those that aren't might be less frequent travelers and possibly mainly for leisure.
Interestingly I was at a pub quiz last night and posed the OP question to my team. There were 9 other people in my team. 8 said that they would wake the snorer and the one that didn't said they would want to but would be too nervous to do so.
Hardly scientific I know, but interesting nonetheless.
#932633 by honey lamb
12 Feb 2017, 22:02
Gerrym wrote:Whiterose, great post.

I suppose I would be classed as a very frequent business flyer and perhaps that is why I am sensitive to this subject. Perhaps those that aren't might be less frequent travelers and possibly mainly for leisure.
Interestingly I was at a pub quiz last night and posed the OP question to my team. There were 9 other people in my team. 8 said that they would wake the snorer and the one that didn't said they would want to but would be too nervous to do so.
Hardly scientific I know, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm glad you are seeing other sides of the coin. I've been monitoring your posts wondering if you should have a slap on the wrist but your recognition that there are horses for courses has redeemed you.

Snoring passengers /snoring in general is a minefield. I can remember a TR from NYC to LHR where the poster referred amusingly to the Champion Snorer from pushback to landing! I empathise with pjh as the late Mr honey lamb was the recipient of many a jab in the ribs with the command "Turn over on your side". More recently Aer John (sprog of the aforementioned Mr and Mrs honey lamb), after bringing me to New York, decided when the return flight arrived in Dublin an hour earlier than scheduled, that we should repair to his gaff near DUB for a couple of hours sleep before he presented himself to work and I headed for the train to Cork. On arrival at his apartment he discovered that there was someone already ensconced on the sofa so he had no option to hop in beside me already installed in his bed! "I only snoozed", said I when it was time to get up. "You SNORED!!" said he! He was probably right! Poor boy!
#932639 by Gerrym
13 Feb 2017, 07:24
honey lamb wrote:I'm glad you are seeing other sides of the coin. I've been monitoring your posts wondering if you should have a slap on the wrist but your recognition that there are horses for courses has redeemed you

!

Really? LOL

If you were to give out slaps for not being able to see the other side of the coin then you would be giving out many slaps to regular posters on this thread alone!
What a stupid comment

I do not want to be part of community that does not allow freedom of speech, as long as there are no personal attacks.

Remove my account immediately.

And please learn how to moderate a forum effectively.

Over and out.
#932640 by DocRo
13 Feb 2017, 08:37
Bit touchy- must be a South Pole elf
#932644 by DragonLady
13 Feb 2017, 09:20
Gerrym wrote:
honey lamb wrote:I'm glad you are seeing other sides of the coin. I've been monitoring your posts wondering if you should have a slap on the wrist but your recognition that there are horses for courses has redeemed you

!

Really? LOL

If you were to give out slaps for not being able to see the other side of the coin then you would be giving out many slaps to regular posters on this thread alone!
What a stupid comment

I do not want to be part of community that does not allow freedom of speech, as long as there are no personal attacks.

Over and out.

DYKWIA??
This is probably the most effectively moderated( and pleasant ) forum that I frequent so thank you to the mods who do such a great job here :).

DL
#932650 by TimCrawley
13 Feb 2017, 11:11
Certainly the thread got a mite tetchy at times but was generally entertaining and sometimes informative too with some funny and some well thought out responses (thanks Whiterose for the attempt to cover both sides) .... a pity if Gerrym feels under attack or unappreciated enough to want to leave the forum as I didn't think (well up until the
What a stupid comment
bit posted by Gerrym) it had been too far over the line at any point (which was what I felt HL was saying as a moderator too).

Obviously I apologise unreservedly if Gerrym was offended by my earlier pictorial post on this thread ......
#932654 by Hev60
13 Feb 2017, 12:56
Honey Lamb, I would think virtually all of the regular v-flyers on this forum are horrified by the response you received to your very polite and tolerate post. Fortunately we get very few provocative threads on this forum and that is because you, the Moderators, carefully monitor such behaviour. Thank you Hev
#932656 by AlphaEcho
13 Feb 2017, 13:50
I think this subject is always going to be seen as something that stirs up the emotions. Since retiring I have never managed to get into a regular sleep pattern and the slightest noise will keep me awake. However, the flip side of this is that I know I snore on occasions if I get particularly tired.

As I struggle to sleep on planes I tend not to bother and quietly amuse myself and read, should I need a reading light on I am very careful as to where it is pointed, due to a previous flight experience.

However, there are the occasions when I feel I need to try and get some sleep. I never realised until one overnight flight, where the individual opposite had left their reading light on whilst asleep, it couldn't have been better positioned if they had tried to hit me straight in the eyes whilst I was laying down how annoying that could be.

On this occasion I asked a flight attendant during a drink run to move/turn off the light opposite as it was aimed right at me and they knew immediately what I meant and were only to happy to do so.

Trying to be mindful of others, I have also said to the FA on my side of the aircraft that if I do start to snore and possibly disturb others then feel free to wake me. I'd rather be woken by an FA than have daggers staring at me from others who I may have unfortunately kept awake.

Snoring is a bit like babies screaming, not something that is easy to control but something that is sure to wind up others, earplugs and eyes shades aren't necessary suited for everyone. Whilst we're unlikely to ever see any of our fellow passengers again i'd still like to leave the plane without the feeling someone wants to possibly kill me. :D
#932660 by RK
13 Feb 2017, 14:23
Very entertaining post!

Interesting the different PoV's... I know I don't snore on the ground (according to the other half) unless there are aggravating factors (mainly too much alcohol!). I have no idea if I do it in the air (cabin pressure, awkward sleeping angle). Certainly no one has mentioned it to me. and have flown plenty of times with the other half too.

There can be no denying that someone snoring, particularly if its keeping you awake, can be frustrating. Fortunately, out of many, many trips, it has only occurred a couple of times for me where the volume was somewhat earth shattering. At the end of the day, if the person could stop snoring, they would. They're not doing it because they like to snore - it can interrupt their sleep too. So, I personally don't think its right to prod them, or have them woken by the crew etc. Because the fact is, as soon as they fall asleep again, it will eventually start again. What can you do? Say that anyone who snores isn't allowed to fall asleep? Its just one of those things.

But there is a difference here. This is largely outside of the persons control. The example of some people sitting at the bar, being loud, on a night flight was given. Do these people have a 'right' to sit at the bar and be loud? Probably yes. But there is something about common decency, manners and respecting others. I would not even consider using the bar with a friend on a night flight if the majority of the cabin are fast asleep. Lets reverse the situation to a day flight, everyone is awake but I'm trying to get some sleep and there's people being loud at the bar. Would I expect them to be quiet? No - because I recognise that its a day flight and its perfectly reasonable for people to want to enjoy the facilities and enjoy themselves.

I think some people could do a lot by learning to be considerate of others and not just themselves.
Last edited by RK on 13 Feb 2017, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
#932662 by daisymay
13 Feb 2017, 14:59
I think the last post sums it up really,we all have rights but it is about consideration and manners.
AlphaEcho , you were very fortunate that the flight attendant turned the light off for you , when I asked because of two beaming on me for the whole night flight from LAS, she simply told me to wear my mask!
#932663 by daisymay
13 Feb 2017, 15:00
I think the last post sums it up really,we all have rights but it is about consideration and manners.
AlphaEcho , you were very fortunate that the flight attendant turned the light off for you , when I asked because of two beaming on me for the whole night flight from LAS, she simply told me to wear my mask!
#932664 by ryosan
13 Feb 2017, 16:17
Silver Fox wrote:PS. please don't forget to delete their account before they get back from school !

OK, you win the internet today with that :-D

I had really bad snoring issues when lying on my back for a month or two when I had a sinus infection. The thing that helped were the germ masks that you get in Japan. When in a flight, you can get ones that have moisture packs in them that help you breathe easily.

Now, slight variation on topic, recently the poor guy next to me on a JAL flight back from LA had a recurring nightmare and kept on waking up with a startled expression each time. I sympathised with him and I eventually managed to calm him down courtesy of the Suntory Distillery ;)
#932690 by inkiboo
14 Feb 2017, 08:12
Gerrym wrote:Really? LOL

What a stupid comment

Over and out.

Oh dear.

I think we will all cope with you not being here. It will be hard at first but give us 10, maybe 15 seconds and we should be fine.

Bye!
Virgin Atlantic