This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932715 by Hev60
14 Feb 2017, 17:28
Did you notice the original Poster didn't come back? Perhaps one and the same person :-O

I know that is supposed to be not possible but I am do wonder in cases like this.

Also I am a bit of a sceptic when someone, who is supposedly a forum member, suddenly posts after like 3 or 4 years. Weird
#932750 by Lonemorf
15 Feb 2017, 23:52
What a fun thread this turned out to be!
I am a predominantly business flyer (95%), and I fly daytime outbound to JFK and redeye back to LHR (thats my usual route) - chill on the way over, sleep on the way back.
I have had 2 recent experiences, both of which "tried my patience", and I got through both, but for very different reasons.
One was just "bad luck". I was on a redeye back from LAX to LHR, and I was chuffed to get my fav PE seat (window bulkhead on a 787), but once on board..... 13 month old kid on mums lap next to me, an 18month old in the next seat along over the aisle, newborn twins 2 rows back, and a clearly ADHD 5 year old 2 rows back on the centre. Recipe for a tired me doth make! So, my remedy:
1. 35db SNR earplugs properly inserted as per post earlier in this thread (I work in very noisy environments, and have a great supply of these - 35dbSNRs are *way* better than shop bought, or airline supplied plugs).
2. Over the top of them, I put my noise cancelling headphones, "set to max noise reduction"
3. Rest my head in a travel pillow, with the ear cup in the gap (stops resonance from the headphones resting on a hard surface)
4. 2x NiQuil.

This actually got me 9 hours sleep - the mother next to me, lovely lady, was in the morning completely knackered, and was amazed I slept through, telling me that it was ridiculously loud all night, and wanted to know my secret!

Second one worth mentioning was my recent JFK run.
In UC, 14A, and in the 4 seats opposite (2 centre, 2 window opposites) in a group, were 4 rather boisterous folk, who were seemingly incapable of talking amongst themselves, and got louder and louder as they talked over eachother.
Seemingly, my somewhat introvert nature prevented me asking nicely for them to tone it down, but a gent 2 seats up from me clearly was feeling the same as me, got up, and enlightened them to the fact they werent the only people on the plane, and we weren't really involved in their conversation - they took it well, and bar the odd outburst, they kept it down. So diplomacy can work!

Out of interest, does it ever bother anyone on here, that you might be talking about someone on the forum?! ;)
#932751 by honey lamb
16 Feb 2017, 00:14
Lonemorf wrote:Out of interest, does it ever bother anyone on here, that you might be talking about someone on the forum?! ;)

Many many moons ago when V-Flyer was in its infancy, someone posted a TR to (I think) SFO and complained about a rather boisterous couple of guys on board during the flight. One of them had to good grace to say "Ooops!" and apologise. We all chuckled and the apology was accepted.

The reality is (well as far as I'm concerned) that though I might moan about somebody's behaviour on a flight, unless it is really outrageous, most of it goes with the territory. People talk, laugh, snore, fart :blush: - everything nature throws at us. Most of what I post is tongue in cheek because, who knows, maybe another V-flyer was on that flight and I was the prima donna as far as that person was concerned! :-D :-D :-D
#932754 by International Hitman
16 Feb 2017, 07:49
honey lamb wrote:
Lonemorf wrote:

The reality is (well as far as I'm concerned) that though I might moan about somebody's behaviour on a flight, unless it is really outrageous, most of it goes with the territory. People talk, laugh, snore, fart :blush: - everything nature throws at us. Most of what I post is tongue in cheek because, who knows, maybe another V-flyer was on that flight and I was the prima donna as far as that person was concerned! :-D :-D :-D

HL surely nobody farts in UC -- down the back maybe :-D
#932762 by RK
16 Feb 2017, 13:25
Hev60 wrote:Also I am a bit of a sceptic when someone, who is supposedly a forum member, suddenly posts after like 3 or 4 years. Weird

Don't be... As you'll note on the left, I joined the forum in 2009 and often go a year between posts ;-)

While I read regularly, I only tend to post when I have something to contribute :)
#932763 by lilmo
16 Feb 2017, 13:57
RK wrote:
Hev60 wrote:Also I am a bit of a sceptic when someone, who is supposedly a forum member, suddenly posts after like 3 or 4 years. Weird

Don't be... As you'll note on the left, I joined the forum in 2009 and often go a year between posts ;-)

While I read regularly, I only tend to post when I have something to contribute :)

Ditto :-D
#932815 by Bretty
18 Feb 2017, 12:08
Just for the record, whether I'm "down the back" or in "the pointy end", I fart fairy dust and butterflies.

Unfortunately it smells like rotten eggs but you can't have everything! Lol
#932840 by wanderingmariner
19 Feb 2017, 10:57
Back on here after a rather lengthy break. Must admit this has been one of the more entertaining (if a little tetchy at times) threads I have seen recently.

It still amazes me that people forget that ultimately, regardless of the fare you pay, you are still on public transport with all of the annoyances that will inevitably throw up.

If you want less noise then take the necessary precautions. Use ear plugs and maybe even some sleeping tablets! I do however have some sympathy as I struggle with slightly kinky sinuses (cue the inevitable comments :-D ). I use the nytol foam when needing to tone it down a bit snoring wise especially when I've had a couple or three in the lounge.

Just learn to accept that you can only control certain things.

For the record my farts smell of roses :cool:
Virgin Atlantic