This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932484 by clairemac75
09 Feb 2017, 23:28
Hi all,

Can anyone help a newbie?

My husband and I are flying PE LGW to Las Vegas later this month. We booked the flights through Delta as that worked out a lot cheaper, but are obviously managing the booking with Virgin. There is a button to submit a bid to upgrade, but when I click on it it says I am not eligible - is this because our tickets are for the Delta flight number, or could there be some other reason for this?

Thanks in advance :)
#932503 by sungod
10 Feb 2017, 12:00
it may be you are booked on a fare code that isn't eligible for upgrade

in PE the K fare code is typically lowest cost but least flexible

the v-flyer site has an explanation of codes, but i'm not sure it's up to date toolbox_fare_codes.php (it can be inaccurate for tickets booked via a travel agent)

i've looked for a clear explanation of codes on the VS site in the past and found little, i find the new site is even less helpful, if someone does have a link to better info on the subject please post it!
#932506 by mitchja
10 Feb 2017, 12:33
You can technically upgrade any directly booked VS fare using cash.

I don't think the upgrade bid section has been working though since the system upgrade last year.

It's not working for either of the 2 Premium Economy flights I've got booked (a K fare booked directly with VS and a H fare booked via VHols; I wouldn't expect the VHols one to work anyway though).
#932507 by dickydotcom
10 Feb 2017, 12:36
A quick search on the Virgin site shows this:

Bid for an upgrade
Log in to My booking to use Your Bid - our online upgrade auction. You'll find selected flights to all our destinations offering upgrades.

My booking

Click on my booking and just below the where you enter your flight details is:

If you are travelling on a flight operated by Delta Air Lines, you can manage your flight by going to My Trips on the Delta website.

https://www.delta.com/mytrips/

Dick D
#932511 by tontybear
10 Feb 2017, 13:55
sungod wrote:it may be you are booked on a fare code that isn't eligible for upgrade

in PE the K fare code is typically lowest cost but least flexible

That only applies for upgrades using miles. This would be a paid for upgrade.

IIRC only flights booked via the VS website are eligible for the 'bid' system.
#932542 by clairemac75
11 Feb 2017, 03:05
Thanks for replies - it is a VS operated flight, but our tickets are for the Delta codeshare number rather than VS43. It's a w ticket, so that shouldn't be the problem. I can do all the other aspects of flight management on VS website, just not eligible to put in an upgrade bid!
#932544 by sungod
11 Feb 2017, 09:18
as you've got a W it might be worth giving FC a call and ask about cash upgrade (or points if you have them)

if there're empty seats on the day you can also upgrade at the airport (go direct to the ticket desk)
#932554 by tontybear
11 Feb 2017, 12:21
sungod wrote:as you've got a W it might be worth giving FC a call and ask about cash upgrade (or points if you have them)

if there're empty seats on the day you can also upgrade at the airport (go direct to the ticket desk)

VS will tell OP to call DL as this is a DL bought ticket and DL 'own' the ticket until t-24. OP needs to call DL directly.

And again as this is a DL ticket it also means OP won't be able to use VS miles to upgrade - even at the airport.

And a gentle reminder that just because there are empty seats it does not automatically mean VS will be offering upgrades but it does no harm to ask.
Virgin Atlantic