This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#933189 by hazban
28 Feb 2017, 23:01
Off to Boston at the end of March and I have used up a few miles for a chauffeur transfer. I am used to the tipping etiquette in the States but this time feel a little confused as to how much would be considered reasonable given that the limo has not cost me anything .
Would a firm handshake and a kiss on both cheeks suffice? My well travelled nephew recommends a bar of Kendal Mint Cake!
Perhaps one of you experienced v-flyers would advise? 8-)
#933191 by tontybear
28 Feb 2017, 23:55
$5-$10 would be sufficient.
#933218 by Kraken
01 Mar 2017, 15:32
As a guideline, expect to give a 20% tip on what the normal fare would have been.

If you were travelling from JFK to Manhattan in a cab at peak times, the fare would be the fixed $52 fare to Manhattan + the $4.50 peak hours surcharge (4-8pm). So on a $56.50 fare, if the cabbie was helpful & friendly then $75 would probably be appropriate. If they were miserable, then pay $70 and make a quick exit from the cab!
#933238 by RedBull
01 Mar 2017, 23:10
Kraken wrote:As a guideline, expect to give a 20% tip on what the normal fare would have been.

If you were travelling from JFK to Manhattan in a cab at peak times, the fare would be the fixed $52 fare to Manhattan + the $4.50 peak hours surcharge (4-8pm). So on a $56.50 fare, if the cabbie was helpful & friendly then $75 would probably be appropriate. If they were miserable, then pay $70 and make a quick exit from the cab!

So even if the service was bad you would still leave essentially a (huge) 25% tip, and even then make a quick exit, presumably because you feel like you haven't left enough?

The problem with the tipping culture in the US, in my opinion, is most consumers simply don't use the system as it's meant to be used.

Note: no offense intended - you're clearly a very generous person. Or just have way too much money ;-)
#933242 by tontybear
02 Mar 2017, 02:25
20% of the $52 set fare and the $ 4.50 peak fare = $ 11.30 = $ 67.80 in total PLUS the toll (which Kraken didn't mention but is part of the fare) and a little rounding down and you get $75
#933245 by RedBull
02 Mar 2017, 07:48
tontybear wrote:20% of the $52 set fare and the $ 4.50 peak fare = $ 11.30 = $ 67.80 in total PLUS the toll (which Kraken didn't mention but is part of the fare) and a little rounding down and you get $75

But would you tip that even if the service was bad? And would you go above that amount if the service was good?
#933246 by hazban
02 Mar 2017, 09:04
Thanks for your replies. The trip is from the airport to the Fairmont Copley Square.
I tend to be a Supershuttle , public transport sort of guy so not familiar with limo costs! Certainly happy to tip 20% for good service but my problem is what is 20% of nothing? :-O
#933257 by Hev60
02 Mar 2017, 15:09
Just the general concept of 'tipping' is the US is a very subjective discussion. Over the years I have seen the expected gratuity rise from 12-15% up to the now 20%.

Hazban is staying at a very nice 5* hotel on Copley Square. Like my hotel in San Francisco, also at the end of March, I would imagine it is quite expensive. Even assuming the room rate is only $300 per night (I wish!!) would we cough up $60 per day for the daily housekeeping person. Let's face it they offer a far more in depth service than the taxi driver.

I am honestly not making that statement to be argumentive but on the subject of tipping I feel the daily housekeeper is certainly worthy of a 20% per day tip if that's what is expected by the waiter, taxi driver, doorman etc etc.

Do I leave that kind of money for them each day? my simple answer is no. However if I walk down to the lobby and ask doorman a question whilst he holds the door then a couple of $'s is expected. I then ask the guy (captain) to hail a cab and that's another couple of $'s and finally the cab driver expects 20%.
Heck I'm broke before I hit the shops :-P
#933259 by Rotty
02 Mar 2017, 16:39
no reason for the expected tip to have risen, the rises come with increases in the base price it is calculated on, they will go up pretty much in line with economic growth / general pay

as for the comment of what the driver would have to say if given $5, while I agree that is lower than what I, and most, would tip a verbal complaint about a tip should see him fired
#933264 by tontybear
02 Mar 2017, 17:55
Rotty wrote:no reason for the expected tip to have risen, the rises come with increases in the base price it is calculated on, they will go up pretty much in line with economic growth / general pay

The 'suggested' tip % HAS increased though.

When I first started going to the US in the late 1990's the suggested tip on restaurant bills was 10 - 15%. And the 15% was seen as only for providing exceptional service.

Now 15% is the minimum with many also listing 'suggestions' of 18 an 20%!

Taxis were suggested at 10% but that has stayed pretty constant (especially now Uber etc are around and you aren't expected 'to tip them)

Doormen was $1 a bag (if they took them inside to reception for you not just getting them out of the car and double if they took you to the room) and maybe if they answered a particularly complicated question (but never for just opening the door or hailing a taxi) . I now work on $2 a bag.

It was $2-3 a day for the chamber maid (and certainly not a % of the room rate) and I now work on $5 a day - especially if they have met requests like extra coffee / towels. Though in effect they get more as I leave most of the loose change I have too!
#933267 by Eggtastico
02 Mar 2017, 18:21
its a terrible system where workers have to depend on tips for their wages.
Especially when its large corporate companies creaming in the cash & can afford to pay a decent wage.
#933270 by Rotty
02 Mar 2017, 18:54
tontybear wrote:
Rotty wrote:no reason for the expected tip to have risen, the rises come with increases in the base price it is calculated on, they will go up pretty much in line with economic growth / general pay

The 'suggested' tip % HAS increased though.

When I first started going to the US in the late 1990's the suggested tip on restaurant bills was 10 - 15%. And the 15% was seen as only for providing exceptional service.

!

I know the suggested has increased, what I was saying is that there is no need for it to have and it's wrong that it has
#933303 by etk
04 Mar 2017, 09:08
I've been shouted at by a New York cabbie for not tipping enough from the airport - wasn't even a conscious decision, I was just a bit green at the time.

It's a strange psychological situation, having been to the states a lot since that trip I'm now very used to (and even enjoy) their tipping culture. I find it a lot easier to live with handing over an extra dollar or two for a beer than I do paying £10 for a pint in Norway - even if the net result ends up being the same...
#933323 by NV43
05 Mar 2017, 15:19
See what I did?

'I've been shouted at by a New York cabbie for not tipping enough from the airport - wasn't even a conscious decision, I was just a bit green at the time.
It's a strange psychological situation, having been to the states a lot since that trip I'm now very used to (and even enjoy) their tipping culture. I find it a lot easier to live with handing over an extra dollar or two for a beer than I do paying £10 for a pint in Norway - even if the net result ends up being the same...'

There's is a huge difference between providing a tip for good service etc. and being expected to tip for someone providing a service.

20%, or higher, is ridiculous; there must be very rich Taxi drivers in New York.

Let them shout as loudly as they can; is your occupation on par?

I'll start tipping stupid amounts when I learn that taxi drivers, hotel concierges, bell boys, valets etc. are tipping nurses, waste refuse collectors and pizza delivery people.

For drivers, I think £5 - £25, depending on time of pick-up p, time to target and sociability.

NV

Post Script: Pizza delivery US$1, waste and recycling collection: a couple of slabs of beer and soft drinks at New Year.
Virgin Atlantic