This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#933990 by chrisfinch_2000
31 Mar 2017, 19:57
Hi everyone,

I've seen online that upper class flights from New York to London (one way) are 57,500 miles and an eye watering £400 in taxes!

However, delta are selling seats on virgin u.c or in delta one for 70,000 points and $5.60 in taxes - what a difference!

My question is, is there any way of me booking a flight at the 57,500 miles threshold and utilising the $5.60 in taxes? I'm not precious on UC vs Delta One, but would love to take advantage of the lower taxes!

If anyone has experience booking this, I would love to hear from you!

Chris
#933993 by tontybear
31 Mar 2017, 20:39
You cannot use VS miles to book a flight via the DL website.

I'm not even sure if VS could book it as a partner reward over the phone as the same price as they can tack on any fees they like.

BTW the bulk of that tax is the VS carrier surcharge which in no way shape or form is a legitimate, government imposed tax.
#933995 by gumshoe
31 Mar 2017, 20:46
Indeed. Bottom line is if you want to use VS miles, you have to book with VS and pay the VS taxes & fees even if you're not flying on VS metal.

If you want to pay the DL taxes to fly on VS you'll need to book with DL and use DL Skymiles.
#934011 by mikethe3rd
01 Apr 2017, 19:16
Hi Chris,

Do you just need one way? It comes down considerably if you book a return. If not, you could just bump on an economy return and use their lenient terms to move the flight or cabin later in the year.

Mike
#934060 by daviis
03 Apr 2017, 17:37
You can use your VS miles to book a Delta flight and pay the tiny amount of taxes. I booked JFK to LHR Delta One (or whatever the UC equivalent on Delta is called) for the 4 of us to come back on New Year's Day. All you need to do is call the Flying Club number and they book it all for you, assuming there is availability.

As Jan 1st is in VS peak time flying on VS metal would have cost me 57,500 miles and approx £500 in taxes per person this way I paid 50,000 in miles and £5.17 per person.
#934080 by chrisfinch_2000
04 Apr 2017, 08:05
Thanks so much Daviis - I thought this was possible! I will definitely try this!

Do you mind me asking about the 50K in miles - was this a promotional rate or is this standard? I'm looking on the delta site to gage availability and it looks like most dates are 70K one way (albeit skymiles not flying club)?

Thanks
Chris
#934085 by daviis
04 Apr 2017, 14:37
chrisfinch_2000 wrote:Thanks so much Daviis - I thought this was possible! I will definitely try this!

Do you mind me asking about the 50K in miles - was this a promotional rate or is this standard? I'm looking on the delta site to gage availability and it looks like most dates are 70K one way (albeit skymiles not flying club)?

Thanks
Chris

When I called the VS flying club that's what they quoted and hen charged me. I'm fairly certain it's not a promotional rate I just think that VS miles are worth more than sky miles.

Don't assume just because there is availability showing on the Delta website that they are seats to be had as they need to make them specifically available to book using VS miles and I don't think they are all that generous.
Virgin Atlantic