This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934025 by loonyball
02 Apr 2017, 16:17
i've been looking for dub-mcl flights on sky scanner as i have booked many times before but for some reason no longer available, i was trying to get upper to eco but its coming out very pricey compared to other carriers, for example BA dub-mcl on the 22nd april in business for £1151, no virgin flights to be had at all, i'm wondering has virgin some how pulled the plug on getting cheaper seats ex dub ??
#934035 by vmike
02 Apr 2017, 20:27
We had a similar pricing experience when booking our hols to the Carribean this year. We use Virgin Holidays through Dub and have done so for a few years, out PE, back UC. The savings have been significant .( 2hr Aircoach journey Bfs to Dub). Our trusty VS rep informed us this time Dub was out and working out very much more expensive than booking from LGW and getting connectors ourselves. Our Dub connector was always Aer Lingus. Would it be anything to do with IAG now owning Aer Lingus and perhaps have put a stop to it?
#934081 by oceanscape
04 Apr 2017, 08:06
VS ex-EU fares are, in my experience, much more difficult to find than last year.

BA has some limited options but there seems to be next to nothing on VS and when it does finally appear it's super expensive.
#934086 by tontybear
04 Apr 2017, 14:40
i'm wondering has virgin some how pulled the plug on getting cheaper seats ex dub ??

No not really. If VS can sell seats for full price then they have no need to offer them for a lower price in other markets. And remember on most LGW routes there are only 14 UC seats unlike ~50 in BA Club

Would it be anything to do with IAG now owning Aer Lingus and perhaps have put a stop to it?

Again no. IAG was required as part of the purchase of both BMI and EI to continue to offer connections to other airlines.

People need to remember that ex-EU fares are for marketing and to fill up planes. BA offers them because it needs to fill its planes from London and uses them to attract people to fly via London rather than direct from say DUB or AMS on EI or KLM.

BTW other airlines do it too.

I have been looking at LHR to ORD. SAS were offering deals via ARN or CPH that were significantly cheaper than starting in ARN/CPH. And this was even cheaper than an ex-EU on BA/AA

It's can be cheaper to fly on EI from LON>>>DUB>>>XXX than on the direct DUB>>>XXX flight - again it's about filling up a plane.

I'm sure that come the next BA sale there will be plenty of bargains. I'm sure there will be one over the forthcoming Cadbury's chocolate egg weekend. ;)
#934582 by catsilversword
22 Apr 2017, 09:30
Can I just ask a question? I think I know the answer, but just checking...

I'm looking at an ex-Dub flight - it's all to and from LHR, except for the last flight, which starts in LCY. I think I read on here that would mean staff can't check your bags through, so you can drop the last flight with no problems and no need to restrict ti hand baggage??? Am I right, or is my memory playing tricks on me?
#934585 by catsilversword
22 Apr 2017, 11:58
Thanks gumshoe - as I thought!

It's just an idea at present, we did ex-Brussels a couple of years ago and saved loads, but I also realise pickings are thinner now. For us, it's always easier to fly direct from London, but when there are good savings to be had, sometimes the extra positioning hassle is worth it. better still would be a sale though...

And, after all, I've been back in th UK for (just) 24 hours now, so high time I sorted out another trip ;)
#934586 by catsilversword
22 Apr 2017, 12:04
It's can be cheaper to fly on EI from LON>>>DUB>>>XXX than on the direct DUB>>>XXX flight - again it's about filling up a plane.

I'm sure that come the next BA sale there will be plenty of bargains. I'm sure there will be one over the forthcoming Cadbury's chocolate egg weekend. ;)[/quote]

The sale that didn't happen!!!
#934738 by catsilversword
28 Apr 2017, 09:11
How do you find it works in practice, making Dublin as your starting point? Are there on-airport hotels and are they ok? I've done ex-eu before from Brussels and the airport we used was literally across from the terminal, which was quick and didn't involve getting other transport. I can still see savings on Expedia....
#934742 by mitchja
28 Apr 2017, 11:22
There are indeed several airport hotels at DUB, some are closer than others but most include a free shuttle bus service.

The nearest on-site hotels to DUB are the Radisson or the Maldron, see this map or this page for more details.

I've stayed at the Crown Plaza with is next door to the Holiday Inn Express which are both a few miles away from the airport. They share the same shuttle bus. It was about a 5-10minute bus ride to/from the airport. The shuttles run every 30mins or so. The shuttle buses pick you up/drop you off in the bus station area which is just across the road from T1.
#934758 by honey lamb
28 Apr 2017, 22:50
There are also other hotels serving DUB in the direction of Swords - the Premier Inn and Travelodge most notably.

With regard to the hotels in the airport, I've had experience of them both and they are OK (although the Maldron charges for the shuttle bus) but I prefer the Carlton which is a five minute run from the airport by shuttle. This is nearer the airport than the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Express referred to by James and some of the rooms have views looking towards the airport and the runways.

I've also used the Holiday Inn Express. The rooms are comfortable and the hotel offers free wi-fi and breakfast buffet (sausages instead of bacon :mrgreen: ) but the main benefit for me is that it is next door Aer John's gaffe when there's no room in his inn! :-D
Virgin Atlantic