This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935452 by mswadley
24 May 2017, 09:07
Would value some advice about this route.
I've been planning an anniversary long weekend for sometime and had settled on Dubai at the end of September as we only have 4 days so it would be a long weekend.
I was about to book 2 UC fares @£1400 each which seemed a good deal. Horrified to find I'd clearly missed the sale deadline yesterday and they've gone up to £2550!!

1. Is there likely to be another sale by the summer for Sep/Oct?
2. At the moment there are almost no Gs for the next 5 months. What's the reward availability usually like on this route? Is it as tight as Vegas?
3. Is the weather too hot late Sep early Oct?
4. Should I consider Emirates @£1750? It's a special occasion and I wouldn't usually pay that much but have heard Emirates good. They would have to be as I love the CH and need some more Tier points!

Thanks for the advice :D
#935454 by Sealink
24 May 2017, 10:06
Emirates are superb with a bar in business class that is just huge.

I have a few issues with them, mainly their censoring of fairly innocent scenes on various to programmes, to please the Emir I guess rather than the usual airline edits, as well as very odd staff in Dubai and Sydney.
That said, the entertainment choice is streets ahead of anything I have seen on any other airline.

But ... it's a wonderful experience. The lounge at Heathrow is stunning. The crew were lovely. I was in First but did feel that J on an A380 looked packed - if I recall there were a about five rows in F and then the entire remainder of the Upper Deck was J.

But everyone seemed happy!
#935457 by deep_south
24 May 2017, 11:26
Check out Virgin Holidays and see if there packages are better value - I found boih VH and BA holidays had really good prices when we went to Dubai last November; we went with BA for the more convenient flight times in the end.
#935459 by SlimpyJones
24 May 2017, 12:08
Indeed, VH have some great deals for Dubai, I've got my second visit to Ras All Khaimah later this year, so inclusive, PE out, Upper back for 2k per person.
The flying club discount also comes in very handy as well.
#935462 by LetThereBeFlight
24 May 2017, 13:42
I flew with Emirates in J last month via Dubai (where I stayed for a couple of days before heading on to Vietnam).

I thought Emirates was wonderful and I would certainly recommend.

There are some caveats though:

1. I flew from Gatwick and although the Emirates lounge is good, it's certainly no Clubhouse.

2. On departure, although the overall airport experience in Dubai is very impressive when flying in a premium cabin with Emirates; the J lounge is all looks, all show but tasteless and with no substance. A bit like Dubai itself in my humble opinion!

3. When it comes to any of the Emirates lounges I used on my trip, the airline seem to have gone out of their way to acquire the most uncomfortable seating know to man.

4. Some of the legs on my trip were on 777s. Given the choice of Emirates J on a 777 or VS Upper, I'd take VS. However, if you're on an A380 route then (miles and TPs aside), booking Emirates is a no brainer.
#935463 by pjh
24 May 2017, 14:01
Another vote for Emirates, as long as you're flying a route using an A380 (I think all LGW and LHR flights now are).
#935465 by mikethe3rd
24 May 2017, 17:22
£1400 is the average cost for a UC or CW seat to Dubai. Granted, not available every day but you shouldn't spend any more than that on this route.

We flew EK over Christmas and they are leagues above UC/CW. Highly recommend. £1750 is a good price for EK Business. I'd pay more to fly with them and forego any VS tier points.

The VS return flight time isn't the greatest either. Usually takes off around 11am. With BA or EK, you could get the 2am flight back to really maximise your time.

You can often pick up BA F for ~£2K on this route too.

Weather - probably around 37-43 at that time of year.

Finally, a poster above mentioned the Atlantis. A slight word of warning with this hotel - I found it very heavy on families and miles away from most things. It's the marmite of hotels and it's not for me. We most recently stayed at the One and Only (the one not on the Palm) and it was beautiful. That said, we did enjoy the Atlantis's adjoining water park and our meal at Nobu.
#935469 by mswadley
24 May 2017, 18:39
Thanks for the quick replies.

It sounds like most of you would prefer Emirates. Will maybe try them but sounds like with the prices at the moment I'd be better waiting. Why am I so loyal to VS?!
Emirates now £2200+ from LHR and more from BHX.
VH and BA holidays both seem very expensive if you fly business since yesterday. Should have booked earlier.

I assume from what you're all saying the prices may come down again in time for me to book for the end of September?

Finally I've got lots of Hilton points to use so was thinking of the Conrad or Waldorf Astoria Palm. Any thoughts?
:D
#935473 by walesflyer
24 May 2017, 19:27
Emirates, particularly the A380. seats are huge.... the food or service wasn't as good as in UC in my limited experience, but the seat and bar etc made up for that. I'm about to fly with Emirates in J again next week to Manila, but only one leg is on the A380 unfortunately. Emirates lounges seem the same in every airport, they don't have a huge amount of character, and can't compare to a club house, but they are very comfortable, plenty of self service food and drink, decent showers.
#935474 by Sealink
24 May 2017, 20:12
Don't forget EK code share with QF - my flights were all ticketed QF but flew EK as it was Cheaper that way.

Because of the QF flight number earned ... BA Tier Points and Miles!
#935478 by honey lamb
24 May 2017, 21:30
Emirates is fine in Business on the A380 - less so on the 777. Their business class is akin to PE to my mind.

Also the crew can be a tad formulaic although they were superb with us on a DUB-DXB run when I travelled with my niece after her mum had died. However the crew was virtually non-existent on the DXB-DUR leg and the plane was shabby. You need to be on the premium routes
#935492 by Turquoise
25 May 2017, 08:45
Re Hotels - we have not tried the Conrad or the Waldorf Astoria, but would certainly recommend the Hilton Dubai Creek. Although primarily a business Hotel, it is based in the old town and there is plenty going on there. It is a world away from the glitzy parts of Dubai but still very easy to get anywhere you want to by Metro/Taxi. The rooftop pool, although small, is lovely!
#935494 by pjh
25 May 2017, 08:52
Sealink wrote:Don't forget EK code share with QF - my flights were all ticketed QF but flew EK as it was Cheaper that way.

Because of the QF flight number earned ... BA Tier Points and Miles!

If flying from LHR watch out for the flights ticketed EK but flown QF. Not that the QF offering is awful on a 380, but the seating is strictly 2-2-2, the food isn't (well wasn't) great and there's no bar. Service was more personable than EK though.
#935501 by lovetoholiday
25 May 2017, 10:50
Can't help on flights, but we are off to DXB next Friday booked with VS (UC) , and staying at Jumeirah Zabeel Saray on the palm.
Depends what you want out of your holiday.
Last time we went to DXB we did 5 nights in the Hilton Dubai Creek (followed by 5 nights at Atlantis) - The Hilton was a great base for shopping and desert tour etc, but only 1 pool (rooftop with amazing views!). We had access to the club lounge - free drinks and light snacks.
Atlantis was amazing but quite busy. Great waterpark next door.

If you want to relax and are not planning on leaving the hotel much then the palm hotels are ideal, otherwise somewhere on the mainland may suit better.

Hope this helps.
L2H
#935503 by Daffodil
25 May 2017, 11:51
I've stayed at both the Conrad and the Waldorf on the Palm.
The Conrad is very modern, right by the Metro (easy to access from the airport), Lovely pool area (But be aware of their noisy pool parties on Friday), Nice executive lounge and the staff were all very good.

The Waldorf is right at the end of the Palm so quite isolated and traffic is a problem during rush hour. It does however have a ferry from outside the hotel to the marina area a few times a day.
The rooms are lovely, modern and tastefully decorated.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
Beware that hh diamond and gold members are not given access to the executive lounge ( They will not make any exceptions) unless you have paid for the room category entitled to use the lounge. So you need to book a Premium category room at least if you want lounge access.
It has an adult only pool area which is strictly enforced and another large separate pool, sunbeds are very comfortable.
Food an drinks are very expensive.
We did a half board package with Virgin holidays and booked the Premium room it worked out cheaper than booking it separately.
I hope this helps.
Virgin Atlantic