This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935479 by inkiboo
24 May 2017, 21:52
Back before all the changes, if you had granted access to your Flying Club account to someone, they could effectively split the cost of the booking.

For example

FC account 1 gives miles for outbound flight
FC account 2 gives miles for incoming flight

Rule was you always had to pay for a whole leg, i.e. FC1 couldn't give 90% of miles and FC2 give 10%.

I am now getting conflicting reports from Flying Club that you can a) still do that, b) not do it and c) spend partial miles like the 90/10 example.

Does anyone have any idea what the answer is?!?!?
#935488 by nkp85uk
24 May 2017, 23:19
Hey hey

In the past I have booked, for example
With miles from my account: 1.5 return journeys
With miles from husband's account: 0.5 return journeys
They always said that as long as it was split per-leg then the miles could come from multiple accounts.

However upon booking this spring I am told that entire round-trip redemptions must be booked from one flying club account.

Also I am told that this has actually always been the policy but in the past they have been flexible on it whereas nowadays they have to be strict.
#935545 by Bretty
26 May 2017, 22:01
I booked 2 rewards after the changes in IT and was told that I was no longer able to combine miles from 2 accounts (mine and my partner's) and no amount of persuasion would sway them. I was told that it was because of the new IT system and it being based on Delta's system. Because my partner didn't have enough for a return I enquired about gifting/transferring miles and it was going to cost a fortune. It was cheaper for me to buy the extra miles needed which I did (only a few thousand) and then call back to book. Still not able to combine miles from accounts which means that we had to make 2 separate bookings on separate PNRs and then the FC agent linked them in the system.

I'm not happy about it and I now fear that we could end up with problems at check-in and one of us could get bumped or downgraded etc.
This new rule is another loss to FC members and no longer makes it easy for couples or families to make reward bookings and all be on the same PNR.
#935546 by tontybear
27 May 2017, 01:31
nkp85uk wrote:
Also I am told that this has actually always been the policy but in the past they have been flexible on it whereas nowadays they have to be strict.

Well for a (long) time it was specifically mentioned on the VS website that you could do it. Not just a sentence but also with examples.
#935600 by inkiboo
28 May 2017, 11:07
And the answer is, you can split legs between different FC accounts.

Our booking and miles allocation got so complicated, my friend did a spreadsheet with all the different calculations! We got there in the end and managed to get 8 UC miles flights for next Easter to travel out to Orlando.

flights.jpg
flights.jpg (215.75 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
#935605 by nkp85uk
28 May 2017, 15:56
Have you just done this inkiboo? That's irritating as it's exactly what I was told is not possible any more >-(
Outcome wise it doesn't really matter, I paid for all legs from my fc account and left the other half's untouched rather than taking one leg from there, it's just annoying that I wasn't able to do it exactly as I wanted due to another darn inconsistency!
#935618 by Bretty
28 May 2017, 22:09
Inkiboo is this all on one single PNR? If so, as per nkp85uk I'm irritated. Well, a little more than irritated if I'm honest having been categorically told when I booked in January that I couldn't do it. Please let us know because I do think this is one of those inconsistencies that needs pointing out to Virgin.
Virgin Atlantic