This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939422 by oceanscape
04 Nov 2017, 19:15
Just a FYI - we had a 45 minute wait in the VS “private security channel” yesterday morning at c 7.30am. Line was backed up to the door. Seemed like every bag was being pulled for secondary screening and they had only 1 person on duty. Our friends flying economy were through the regular security line in 10 mins.

Lounge was like a zoo. Not a free table in site. We stood around like tramps for 15 mins and eventually found a spot in the corner. Service was slow and surly. We are VS gold and I won’t be looking to renew.

Flight was okay, however on a 9 hour flight offering one meal service is ridiculous - they should pro actively offer the second meal from the “grazing” menu rather than making you ask and then having the cabin crew acting like they are doing you a favour. We were NOT impresssed.

To make matters even more frustrating I got the dreaded “X” on my print out ticket at immigration at MIA and had a 1.5 hour wait to get through!! Anyone know what causes the “X”? We fly to the US 3-4 times a year and I always get it!!
#939423 by SlimpyJones
04 Nov 2017, 19:25
You'd be better off writing to Virgin re: the flight issues. For what it's worth every UC flight I've had has had the graze/extra bites menu offered, so one could argue there's two meal service, and the second you can have whenever you like.

As for the security, that's not really VS to blame. Why didn't you just go to the regular queue?
#939424 by oceanscape
04 Nov 2017, 19:32
SlimpyJones wrote:You'd be better off writing to Virgin re: the flight issues. For what it's worth every UC flight I've had has had the graze/extra bites menu offered, so one could argue there's two meal service, and the second you can have whenever you like.

As for the security, that's not really VS to blame. Why didn't you just go to the regular queue?

Yes you can order it “whenever you like” but it would be nice if the crew offered it or asked if they can get you anything rather than having to stop them and order and (one crew in particular) acting like it was an inconvenience to her.

Of course we would have went to the regular queue if we’d known it was so short, we didn’t find out until after we were through and assumed given how long VS premium was that the regular lines would be ten times worse. And yes it is VS to blame, they either need to restrict access better or have additional lanes. Or even have a staff member telling people they’re better off in the regular lines
#939425 by tontybear
04 Nov 2017, 21:27
The X on the immigration slip is usually down to a problem with your fingerprints not being scanned / recognised properly.

Though if is happening on a regular basis then perhaps your name is very similar to one on the US watch list and you might want to have a look at the CBP website to see what you can do to try and resolve it.
#939442 by Kraken
05 Nov 2017, 20:54
oceanscape wrote:
SlimpyJones wrote:You'd be better off writing to Virgin re: the flight issues. For what it's worth every UC flight I've had has had the graze/extra bites menu offered, so one could argue there's two meal service, and the second you can have whenever you like.

Yes you can order it “whenever you like” but it would be nice if the crew offered it or asked if they can get you anything rather than having to stop them and order and (one crew in particular) acting like it was an inconvenience to her.

Of course we would have went to the regular queue if we’d known it was so short, we didn’t find out until after we were through and assumed given how long VS premium was that the regular lines would be ten times worse. And yes it is VS to blame, they either need to restrict access better or have additional lanes. Or even have a staff member telling people they’re better off in the regular lines

Definitely write to VS about the poor onboard service, as it's the age-old consistency problem raising it's head again. You clearly got a duff crew - probably led by a less than enthusiastic FSM. If the crew were working the PE / Y cabin they would have to take the trolley round for the afternoon snack service, so there is no excuse not to offer food to the UC cabin. I've always had the Graze extra bites pro-actively offered along with the sandwiches / cakes / scones about 2hrs-90mins out from landing. When main lunch orders were taken the crew mentioned the extra bites and said they could be ordered at any time.

The Clubhouse being like a zoo is bad to hear - Virgin sort of have some control over who they let in, but if it's Delta One passengers or elite DL frequent flyers that are causing the overcrowding, they are not going to go away given the ownership of VS. I've looked at the DL website and it seems a bit confusing as to who gets Clubhouse access when flying DL. It states Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus Member (Delta Diamond, Platinum Or Gold Medallion) should go to the No1 Lounge in T3, but then further down it says Transatlantic To/From UK Delta One, Diamond Medallion Or Platinum Medallion should use the VS Clubhouse. If I had DL Diamond or Platinum Medallion status and was travelling in Y, I know which of the two lounges I'd be trying to get in!

The security nightmare queue is a mixed bag. Security screening is provided by Heathrow Airport Ltd (HAL), not Virgin. However Virgin doubtless pay HAL a lot of rent for the UC Wing facility - so the question is was the OP's experience normal or a one-off? If Virgin are letting too many people into the UC wing, then they need to be approaching HAL and offering to pay for additional security screeners - or for HAL to communicate the normal security wait times to the UC Wing staff so they can make an informed judgement as to whether to advise pax to go downstairs to main security.

However, the OP also states that lots of bags were being pulled for secondary screening - that is no-ones fault (Virgin or HAL) - it's a sign the screeners are doing their job thoroughly. On the few occasions I've used the UC Wing I've only had minimal waits for security - did go through once behind a couple who had a collection of prohibited items in their carry-on bags & that ground things to a halt for a few minutes whilst they got a good going over.

On my last trip through MAN, the security screening line for the X-ray my bags were in ground to a halt as too many bags needed secondary screening & the channel the trays get pushed into for secondary screening after the X-ray was full. There were 2 staff doing secondary checks too, but they can only work so fast. The friends I was travelling with had one of their bags pulled for secondary screening & they got to the lounge best part of half an hour after me.
Virgin Atlantic