This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#320 by simon70
24 Feb 2004, 18:15
I just wanted to ask if there are any broad rules as to when VA reduces the prices of its economy fares. To explain, I have travelled to LAX and flown back from SFO to LHR twice (November 2002 and September 2003). Each time, it cost me around £340 from Expedia, including connecting BMI flights to and from Edinburgh.

Now I am thinking about going over in October or November. However, the cheapest fare is currently about £560. When can that be expected to drop to something a little more reasonable? I have a decent amount of flexibility over when i can travel in these months and planned to stay in the US for about 10-14 days.

And what are your top tips for saving money on VA flights?

I've been impressed with the service (and especially the entertainment) both times I have flown VA, and I'm reluctant to fly transatlantic with a cheaper (but inferior) airline.
#26075 by Pete
24 Feb 2004, 18:28
H Simon, welcome to virginflyer.

The simple answer to your question is 'no'. Pricing is a black art, and fares go up and down all the time, depending on a complex set of rules the details of which Virgin keep as a closely-guarded secret.

There are some clues to when you can expect to see cheaper fares (although the specific point at which those fares are made available is more unpredictable);

- Off season: Feb/Mar and Nov/Dec (except Christmas)
- Travel on quiet days - generally midweek
- Avoid school holidays, such as half term
- Avoid any major conventions/trade shows in your destination city (NAB in Las Vegas or MacWorld in SFO for instance) - you can normally get an indication of when the really big shows are going to be around by checking out the website of the city visitor's centre.
- Look for fares in the cheapest bucket codes (see the codes page for an explanation of 'buckets')
- Look at the pricing on Virgin's MpM fares - they'll show you which dates Virgin themselves put a premium on.

Pix
#26078 by ghagger
24 Feb 2004, 19:35
Hi Simon,

I don't know what class of travel you're looking at, but when I flew to/from JFK in November it only cost me about £340 for an economy seat booked about 4 days beforehand. And that was to visit my girlfriend for Thanksgiving, so hardly a quiet time (in fact it was the last seat on the plane!)

Graham
#26082 by Pete
24 Feb 2004, 20:02
£340 for an economy seat sounds like a lot to me :) Seen NYC regularly available for as low as £195.

Pix
#26084 by ghagger
24 Feb 2004, 20:35
quote:Originally posted by pixuk
£340 for an economy seat sounds like a lot to me :) Seen NYC regularly available for as low as £195.

Pix

£340 was a lot... but then that was on an almost booked up flight with only a couple of days before takeoff. If I'd know I was going beforehand I probably could of gotten it cheaper. I just think that £560 fare simon quotes is waaaay out there.
#26099 by simon70
25 Feb 2004, 11:16
The connecting BMI flights from and to Edinburgh tend to add £70 or £80 to a return ticket, but you are right - £560 is steep. I can only assume that the price will drop nearer the departure date.
Virgin Atlantic