This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#27638 by mitchja
24 Mar 2004, 21:21
Have you thought about Florida Keys - I've dived at Key Largo Dry Rocks (Christ Statue) and Key West (Rock Key and Sand Key) or what about Barbados (Merlin Reef) [?]

If you can wait till 2005 when Virgin hopefully fly to Aus - how about the Great Barrier Reef (Nobodys, Phils, Turtle or Harry's Reef to name a few)

My next dive trip is to the Maldives in November and I cannot wait!!!!!
#27643 by Decker
24 Mar 2004, 21:34
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
Have you thought about Florida Keys - ... or what about Barbados (Merlin Reef) [?]

how about the Great Barrier Reef (Nobodys, Phils, Turtle or Harry's Reef to name a few)

Never thought about Florida - can I get away with a shorty and a skin there? Barbados is potential. Done Barrier Reef a couple of times but will be back like a shot when VS get a route.

Thinking of say Sept/Oct this year...
#27649 by mitchja
24 Mar 2004, 21:42
I've always dive in Florida with a shorty with no probs. I've last dived in early November last year when I was in Key West.
#27657 by bluefish
24 Mar 2004, 22:28
Well IMO

How about SFO or LAX - in San Fran you have monterey and the kelp and seals, and 20 miles off shore if you are man enough is the farrilon Islands which is Great White Capital of the world, even more so that SA. It is a bit chilly but ut is really special and a change to the warm water. From LAX you have Catalina Island, and swams of neon Catalina Gobies.

Hong Kong is also different and interesting, and linked to a city break is my number one choice, the Sai Kung Peninsular is much diving at its best.

Havana when it comes online, the most relaxing and spectacular diving I have done, other than that the only other place in the Caribien I would use rewards for is Tobago.

If you want any more info on any of the above sites let me have your email and I will send you my local contacts - if you decide of SFO I will make sure I can be your buddy
#27661 by Decker
24 Mar 2004, 22:47
quote:Originally posted by bluefish
Well IMO

How about SFO or LAX - in San Fran you have monterey and the kelp and seals, and 20 miles off shore if you are man enough is the farrilon Islands which is Great White Capital of the world, even more so that SA. It is a bit chilly but ut is really special and a change to the warm water. From LAX you have Catalina Island, and swams of neon Catalina Gobies.

Hong Kong is also different and interesting, and linked to a city break is my number one choice, the Sai Kung Peninsular is much diving at its best.

Havana when it comes online, the most relaxing and spectacular diving I have done, other than that the only other place in the Caribien I would use rewards for is Tobago.

If you want any more info on any of the above sites let me have your email and I will send you my local contacts - if you decide of SFO I will make sure I can be your buddy

Bluefish

Thanks for all that info! To cover in order :)

Did Catalina and the Channel July before last. Did a liveaboard for 4 days with a local naturalist. What a blast! Kelp is indeed an interesting dive. Trouble was by third dive I was FREEZING each day - loved the transponder to get back to the boat though. July 4th we were anchored off Catalina and 3 F16s did barrel rolls overhead. Great!

Hong Kong I'd never even thought of. What water temp are we looking at?

I've dived Bay of Pigs and thereabouts but wrong side for good diving. Weather was up so we had to dive cold side ;)

Did Tobago on Hilton points last year - really enjoyed it. Nice shop too.

So by all means more info on HK appreciated. I have to work near SAC from time to time and keep meaning to dive out there so that's close enough to SFO for a buddy trip!

I believe you can send me mail via the Decker link - that way there's no email on a public forum for web spiders to grab!

Thanks again!
Virgin Atlantic