This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#6405 by Kaptin K
14 Jun 2005, 08:19
Look out for formal news in the next few days about the details of the new Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Blue codeshare.

Will include Sydney-Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Good news for Gold Flying Club members too!
#66272 by GreboDB
14 Jun 2005, 10:03
Welcome to v-flyer Kaptain K,

sounds interesting, I can see some plans for mileage/TP runs to Australia soon....
#66273 by preiffer
14 Jun 2005, 10:06
Looks like a perfect opportunity for Jonathan to work out a new variation to the Gold Run...

... the Australian edition ;):D
#66276 by Milliemoo
14 Jun 2005, 10:31
At the risk of sounding a bit dim [:I] Does that mean you'll be able to book flights to Auckland with VS?
ie: London - Hongkong - Sydney - Auckland

Will that mean Virgin Blue is included in the GE fare?

Milliemoo
#66282 by willd
14 Jun 2005, 13:11
No DJ arent part of the GE fare- thats SQ,NZ and VS.

No you wont be able to book routes to AKL as DJ dont fly SYD-AKL (only BNE and OOL) but you wouldnt be able to do SYD-CHC.

You can though currently book a LHR-HKG-SYD-AKL fare with VS but only as a reward flight- this means that you need to book a LHR-SYD fare and then use miles or money to book a sepearate SYD-AKL fare, although (i did simular route but to CHC) you bags are thru checked at LHR. You transfer onto AIr NZ at SYD but this flight doesnt have a VS flight number.This can be done through flying club.

So no cant fly DJ on connecting service to NZ at the moment, but you could do it with NZ.
#66283 by Milliemoo
14 Jun 2005, 13:15
Thanks for that :D

Milliemoo
#66329 by Richard28
14 Jun 2005, 19:38
thanks for that - planning a SYD trip v. soon - will hold on to see the details.........
#66365 by Odessey
15 Jun 2005, 00:47
Thats great News about the Codeshare, they are both Virgin after all! :)[8D]
#66447 by FamilyMan
16 Jun 2005, 09:52
Originally posted by Kaptin K
The code share is effective July 27.

Thanks for that Kaptin - great news.

BTW the story say effective July 17

Phil (Buffy)
#66460 by mitchja
16 Jun 2005, 15:29
Excellent news thanks Kaptin :)

Regards
#66481 by Richard28
16 Jun 2005, 19:15
I can't see any notes about miles earning on DJ flights.

does anyone have the info?

also, is an equivalent of a BA/QF Kangaroo pass going to be launched (allowing x number of DJ flights for a fixed cost when you fly to SYD on VS)?
#66527 by FamilyMan
17 Jun 2005, 09:28
Originally posted by Richard28
I can't see any notes about miles earning on DJ flights.

..or indeed miles spending.

Also noticed that in the notes at the bottom the VS information was out of date - fleet of 29 s/b 32.

Phil (Buffy)
#70616 by Richard28
24 Jul 2005, 19:19
This codeshare was meant to go live last week (17th July) - but both the Virgin Blue and Virgin Atlantic websites have no information.

The australian destinations have certainly not been added to the VS web site.

Has the codeshare now been launched?

Anyone have more any details !! ?

Rich.
#70619 by seany
24 Jul 2005, 19:30
I assume it has happened, there is nothing anywhere saying it was delayed in any way, and surely there would have been if it was.
#70629 by VS-EWR
24 Jul 2005, 20:42
Hmm, never saw this post before, but anyway, does this mean that when this codeshare is launchd (if it hasn't been already) you will be able to book say, Heathrow - Melbourne via Sydney directly off of VSs website?
#70839 by Richard28
26 Jul 2005, 00:14
details are in the June virgin blue press release here

to quote:

Travel to, from and within Australia on a single Virgin Atlantic code on designated services.
Enjoy smooth and hassle free domestic and international connections between the two award-winning Virgin airlines, be it for inbound tourists wanting to travel to some of AustraliaÕs stunning destinations or AustralianÕs keen to experience Hong Kong and London and beyond.
Seamlessly book both their Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Blue flights at the same time via Virgin Atlantic reservations, removing the complicated process of multi-booking for various domestic and international flights.

Unfortunately it does not look like Perth is included in the codeshare - which is where I need to go [:(!]

Still awaiting details / booking options from VS....
#73000 by preiffer
11 Aug 2005, 19:55
VS have now published an updated release under "Flying Hub":

I do like this addition:

Flying Club Gold members will also be able to enjoy the luxurious 'Blue Room', Virgin Blue's airport lounge in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. In the Blue Room you can catch up on some work, watch a movie, have a go on a games console, get a massage or relax with some great food and drink.

Is this the one in use by VS on the LHR-SYD route, or a different lounge?
#73002 by Richard28
11 Aug 2005, 20:01
no, VS use the Air New Zealand lounge for their SYD-HKG flight.
#83012 by LouOtway
02 Nov 2005, 20:53
Just spotted this thread while searching for info on Virgin Blue.

Is it possible to book Heathrow to Cairns directly from the Virgin website? I can't seem to find it at the moment...

Will it be possible to have stopovers in both Hong Kong and Sydney?

Ta,

Lou
#83014 by Richard28
02 Nov 2005, 21:01
Originally posted by LouOtway
Just spotted this thread while searching for info on Virgin Blue.

Is it possible to book Heathrow to Cairns directly from the Virgin website? I can't seem to find it at the moment...

Will it be possible to have stopovers in both Hong Kong and Sydney?

Ta,

Lou

I just did a quick check on Expedia, and yes the codeshare includes Cairns. Flights VS5385 SYD-CNS, and VS5382 CNS-SYD

As for stop-overs, expedia does not seem to allow this on the codeshare, I think a call to VS may be necessary here.

Rich.
Virgin Atlantic