This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#65 by JonDavies
18 Dec 2003, 10:33
Hello All,

I'm due to fly out on VS603 in PE in January and understand that they use the 343's for this route, and to my horror have seen the comments about the PE seats in these aircraft. Is it really that bad? I have been assigned seats 21 A and C. Has anyone travelled this route recently?

It seems a shame that on their webpage Virgin sell PE as something special (the price was something special too!) if it isn't all it's cracked up to be when we get on the plane, what kind of comeback, if any have we got?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

PS love the site, it's superb!
#25119 by Pete
18 Dec 2003, 12:19
Hi Jon,

Welcome aboard!

The PE service is generally great. Extra legroom, separate check in and cabin, and normally your own FAs to look after you.

However, when specifically on the 340-300, the cabin suffers from not having its own toilets or dedicated flight crew. The seats on some of the 300s are also a slightly different design, and don't have legrests (this doesn't apply to all 300s, just some). When you get spoilt by the PE on the Upper Deck of a 744, the 300 looks poor by comparison.

Unfortunately you won't get very far in terms of comeback, as the 300 still meets the spec of PE as described by Virgin, it's just the 744 is better!

Long term this problem will go away. Not only is Virgin re-vamping the PE & Economy cabins with the introduction of V:Port, the 300s look like they will be retired as new aircraft join the fleet. The summary of the rumours and insider news suggests that Virgin are heading for a mix of A340-600's, 747-400s, A380s and possibly 777s.

Pix.