This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7122 by preiffer
30 Jul 2005, 21:19
Just reviewing this topic from 9 months ago.

To quote Jetstreamer, from the time,
"After spending £millions on the Upper Class Suite, there are changes planned for the Premium Economy and Economy cabins although they remain a closely guarded secret! All will be revealed soon......"

So when was "soon"? - IS anything happening with Y or W? (They could certainly do with a refresh...!)
#71487 by s0436
30 Jul 2005, 21:38
IMHO, W is just Y with a footrest, certainly not worth the supplement.
#71488 by preiffer
30 Jul 2005, 21:41
Originally posted by s0436
IMHO, W is just Y with a footrest, certainly not worth the supplement.
You're not alone in your opinion in that respect! I'm more concerned about where exactly these "improvements" went though - there was a lot of discussion about it all at the end of last year, but nothing since.. [:0]
#71492 by VS-EWR
30 Jul 2005, 22:00
The new Y cabins are really uncomfortable. When you can recline they are okay, although they could be a tad wider, but upright, NONOONONONONO, it's feels like a 90 degree angle.
#71493 by mitchja
30 Jul 2005, 22:15
I seriously doubt if anything is being updated in W or Y, that it's not going to happen until at least all the remaining A343's are UCS fitted.

Regards
#71498 by p17blo
31 Jul 2005, 00:05
Did anyone see the making of the A380 documentary on a few weeks ago? They had several mock ups, and I know these are only mock-ups but these cabins definately had 'nicer' Y and W type class seats. I am living in hope that when the 380 arrives it won;t be simply a cattle transport and the extra space will be utilised in cabins other than J (and F for other carriers)

Paul
#71502 by vscss
31 Jul 2005, 00:15
You will not see any improvements in W or Y until the whole fleet is UCS fitted. We have a "Fit and Sexy" list of things to achieve as a company:

1)Completion of UCS refit
2)Refurb of LHR Clubhouse
3)Expansion of new routes

Once these have been done they may look at the other cabins, but dont hold your breath, remember all the things that went after 9/11 and never came back to Y/W. We are not even back to the service levels it used to be!!
VSCSS.
#71509 by kkempton
31 Jul 2005, 01:03
Its amazing that VS overlooks the biggest filler of their aircraft all the time.
Though judging by the latest idea of VS improvements, the idea would be to chuck a banana at the Y passengers and call it 'a refreshing taste of your tropical destination which we are taking you too', and to sweeten the W pax, they would chuck 2 pieces of fruit at you, perhaps an orange or somthing.

Come on VS, give us Y (and I s'pose W) pax something nice!!! (Dont mess with the meals too much though, i like them!)
#71517 by slinky09
31 Jul 2005, 08:38
Well ... I can understand vscss's priorities - it's all about growth and margin. Read somewhere though that BA said that WT+ was the highest margin earning class on their planes, wonder if the same is true of Virgin and that alone would suggest investment in PE.

My vote would always go for space but that comes to the detriment of revenue unless prices rise. 40"+ in PE would put it on a par with business class services of the not to distant past; and American used to have 34" in economy but have canned that so there's an opportunity. The 380 should give Virgin food for thought on all these things - it could well be the thing that confirms it the best airline in the world if done right!
#71520 by VS045
31 Jul 2005, 10:53
Are the extra W seats on the UCS A343s WASH or KASH or are they more of the same older seats?
It would certainily be an improvement if they were the newer seats.:D

Cheers,
VS045
#71524 by JAT74L
31 Jul 2005, 12:01
I am more than happy to pay the PE supplement when flying on a 744 and can get seats upstairs. I've never tried the new seats or flown on an Airbus (Virgin) for that matter. No doubt I will at some point!

Regards

John
#71538 by vscss
31 Jul 2005, 14:38
Originally posted by VS045
Are the extra W seats on the UCS A343s WASH or KASH or are they more of the same older seats?
It would certainily be an improvement if they were the newer seats.:D

Cheers,
VS045

The premium seats on the UCS fitted A340-300's are the old style premium seat's! Sorry!!
VSCSS. x
#71539 by preiffer
31 Jul 2005, 14:40
Originally posted by vscss
...remember all the things that went after 9/11 and never came back to Y/W. We are not even back to the service levels it used to be!!
This intrigues me - what's missing?
#71549 by vscss
31 Jul 2005, 15:43
Originally posted by preiffer
...remember all the things that went after 9/11 and never came back to Y/W. We are not even back to the service levels it used to be!!
This intrigues me - what's missing?

We used to do lots more services pre 9/11 in Y & W:

1) Menu's for each destination
2) Brandy and Baileys service
3) Second wine round
4) Breakfast items were heated and you got cereal!
5) Large amenity kits on both sectors
6) Competitions with prizes for kids on MCO flights

Its these little things that made us stand out from the others!
#71550 by preiffer
31 Jul 2005, 15:48
So since none of these can be deemed as a "security precaution" [:p], they're all cost-cuts.

I didn't realise they cut the B&B service from Y - they do it in W, don't they?

I thought W also got a relatively open wine service? (ie: no choice in the exact wine, like in J, but at least 2/3 glasses)

{reading the very bold invisible ink that lies between the lines here, I'm guessing the answer to my original question - what happened to the improvements - is "nothing - not happening"?}
#71567 by ColourPhil
31 Jul 2005, 19:22
The premium seats on the UCS fitted A340-300's are the old style premium seat's! Sorry!!
VSCSS. x
[:(]
Do they at least have legrests, or the cr@ppy footrests!
What is VS's management perception of the problems in PE?
INMHO these are a lack of sparkle, sense of well-being, feel good factor, etc.
A pity as it was a truly innovative product when launched as MID CLASS in 1992-ish. It seems to have been forgotten and to have been swept under the marketing dept's carpet.
Now it's often expensive on a full-W ticket. Premium price and Economy quality. Will stick to deep-discounted J class until they buck their ideas up.
#73728 by fozzyo
18 Aug 2005, 16:28
We used to do lots more services pre 9/11 in Y & W:
2) Brandy and Baileys service
3) Second wine round

I guess these two are still available, but are now By Request.

It is a shame the other stuff has gone, it would be nice to have them put back, but can't see it happening myself.

Foz xxx
#73729 by VS045
18 Aug 2005, 16:44
Apart from better seats, I think W could benefit from a different ammenity kit to make it stand out a bit more from economy as well as separate washrooms on the A340s.

Cheers,
VS045
#73741 by buns
18 Aug 2005, 19:17
Given the current price of oil, I suspect that there is little or no chance of seeing pre 9/11 "extras" in the foreseeable future[:(]

buns
#73753 by Jetstreamer
18 Aug 2005, 22:36
Originally posted by preiffer
Just reviewing this topic from 9 months ago.

To quote Jetstreamer, from the time,
"After spending £millions on the Upper Class Suite, there are changes planned for the Premium Economy and Economy cabins although they remain a closely guarded secret! All will be revealed soon......"

So when was "soon"? - IS anything happening with Y or W? (They could certainly do with a refresh...!)

Please don't shoot the messenger..... [:0]

I was merely passing on information that was given to me. I can't help with the definition of "soon" in this case although I agree that it's taking longer than anticipated.
#73754 by preiffer
18 Aug 2005, 22:41
Hi Jetstreamer,

Didn't even have my gun out ;):D

Was a genuine worry as to what happened to the changes - seems they may have been shelved?
#73757 by Jetstreamer
18 Aug 2005, 23:09
Hi Paul,

I'm really hoping the changes have just been postponed rather than shelved.

If I get my hands on some fresh information, I'll be sure to post it here.

Cheers :D
#73773 by ColourPhil
19 Aug 2005, 11:40
Please see my post in the other "Airlines" page about Taiwan's EVA Air's new "Elite Class" on their new 777 which will be flying to LHR. This is more like a "new PE" should be![8D]
#73778 by DWiles
19 Aug 2005, 13:40
but hot congee for breakfast ..... you'll be begging fo bangers and mash
#73789 by ChuckC
19 Aug 2005, 14:42
Originally posted by ColourPhil
Please see my post in the other "Airlines" page about Taiwan's EVA Air's new "Elite Class" on their new 777 which will be flying to LHR. This is more like a "new PE" should be![8D]

Phil,
Sounds from the information provided by our VS staff that some changes await the full refit of UCS. In the meantime I wouldn't doubt that VS is surveying other carriers' attempts at upgrading their PE and Y products.

Regards,
Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic