This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7274 by preiffer
08 Aug 2005, 14:12
Interesting write-up from The Guardian here, it's apparently a take on Lord of the Flies - "a sort of Lord of the Frequent Flyers", where a plane on a transpacific flight encounters what appears to be turbulence and enters free fall." The write-up of the series contains a couple amusing paragraphs, too ;):

Virgin Atlantic, unusually, screens such material uncensored, merely placing a warning in the entertainment guide that the choice includes blazing or exploding jets. But, even so, one of this summer's offerings on Virgin TV was a brave inclusion: the opening episodes of Lost, the hit American television series that not merely contains plane-crash footage but consists almost entirely of it.

I especially like this one:

When I recently spent half a flight to New York watching the show, the passenger beside me asked to be moved because, while my headphones protected her from the screams and despairing dialogue, the images glimpsed on the seat-back screen were too disturbing for her..

I used to read my flight manuals on board (a few years back), it was actually quite amusing following the reactions of those nosey people around me when they saw I was reading about "Super-Stalls" and engine shutdowns [}:)][:0]
#72598 by colmc
08 Aug 2005, 14:42
It's been on Irish TV a few months now. I'm going to start re-watching it on C4 as I kind of lost track of it!

It has to be said, the opening episode and the crash scenes are pretty realistic, and I can't blame the poor lady if she was in anyway a nervous flyer. (Thankfully I'm not, so it wouldn't bother me - somehow the night before I fly I always seem to end up watching those air accident shows on Discovery!:D).

Pretty brave of VS to show it really!
#72603 by VS-EWR
08 Aug 2005, 15:15
Yes, it's not really new in the US, it's been on for about a year so far. I watched a couple episodes and decided it was a waste of time and effort. Seeing VS put that on their airplane reminds me of that scene in AIRPLANE! when they show movies of planes crash landing, but exploding on impact, before they land. [:p]
#72612 by colmc
08 Aug 2005, 17:06
Originally posted by VS-EWR
Yes, it's not really new in the US, it's been on for about a year so far. I watched a couple episodes and decided it was a waste of time and effort. Seeing VS put that on their airplane reminds me of that scene in AIRPLANE! when they show movies of planes crash landing, but exploding on impact, before they land. [:p]

It figures that I'm a big fan of Airplane! too - now thats a film that should be on the IFE :D
#72613 by Kryten
08 Aug 2005, 17:07
I watched the first two episodes on board a few flights back when it was first put on. Personally I'm waiting for them to put the rest of the season on. I've no problem with stuff like this being shown onboard. I've often read books with lots of plane crashes in etc on board. I had some comments when reading Aiframe (Michael Crichton) on an America West flight, but only buy the stweardess who commented that it was a good book but an unusual choice to read on a plane :D

I think its a good move by VS not to put censored material onboard or be over sensetive with what they show. They put warnings on the things which could upset but apart from that the only cutting which goes on is in the aspect ratio.
#72617 by HighFlyer
08 Aug 2005, 17:36
I have watched the whole series!!!!

Downloaded it off the net, and all i can say is wow!! Kept me more glued than watching 24!! I am now desperate for series 2

If you havent seen it, do watch it, it is gripping!!!
#72619 by seany
08 Aug 2005, 17:52
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Kept me more glued than watching 24!!

Impossible!!...Where did you dowload it from Sarah? It must be good to be better than 24 [:0].
#72623 by HighFlyer
08 Aug 2005, 18:04
Impossible!!...Where did you dowload it from Sarah? It must be good to be better than 24

Search the Newsgroups or BitTorrent, other downloading places, they should have them. I had a right assortment of MPEG2/4 and AVI files though so be pre-warned!

I love 24, but you know how half way through there is always a slow bit where they try to pad it out? Lost just didnt have that, i stayed up till 4am watching it some nights - watched the whole first series in 4 days!!
#72646 by mitchja
08 Aug 2005, 19:53
I watched the first 2 eps. going to NAS the other week on G-VTOP (there was a warning in the write up about the plane crash though!!!)

I will be watching it - looks very good :)

Regards
#72661 by seany
08 Aug 2005, 21:01

Impossible!!...Where did you dowload it from Sarah? It must be good to be better than 24

Search the Newsgroups or BitTorrent, other downloading places, they should have them. I had a right assortment of MPEG2/4 and AVI files though so be pre-warned!

I love 24, but you know how half way through there is always a slow bit where they try to pad it out? Lost just didnt have that, i stayed up till 4am watching it some nights - watched the whole first series in 4 days!!

Thanks[y]
#72662 by p17blo
08 Aug 2005, 21:05
Originally posted by preiffer

I used to read my flight manuals on board (a few years back), it was actually quite amusing following the reactions of those nosey people around me when they saw I was reading about "Super-Stalls" and engine shutdowns [}:)][:0]

Yeah, I bet you can't do that anymore or someone on board will think you are a terrorist doing some last minute revision!!

Regarding LOST, although I am a frequent flyer I absolutely hate it (flying that is, not LOST). I know all the physics etc etc but I just don't like to fly, something to do with it taking up to 10 minutes to hit the ground if you have a problem.. So when I unsuspectingly watched LOST on my last flight I was pretty surprised and then spent the rest of the flight gripping the seat edges to keep the plane up in the air at every bump from that point on, because you know that it is only peoples will power and enough people holding onto their seats that keep a plane flying you know[8D]

Paul
#72688 by preiffer
08 Aug 2005, 23:18
Well, it starts on CH4, 8:30pm and 10:00pm (two episodes in one night) this Wednesday (10th Aug).
#72712 by AlanA
09 Aug 2005, 09:12

there is a natty very quick conversion programme calle WinAVI video converter which is great for converting the various formats to the format of your choice.
#72714 by shazam
09 Aug 2005, 10:14
..... spent the rest of the flight gripping the seat edges to keep the plane up in the air at every bump from that point on, because you know that it is only peoples will power and enough people holding onto their seats that keep a plane flying you know[8D]

Paul

Yes, indeed I do, in the same way that me 'jamming my foot on the brake' helps us stop when we land :)

Shaz
#72868 by jmorgan
10 Aug 2005, 19:01
My biggest complaint is that Lost would have been the perfect single series show, like 24 where the entire story is concluded in the 24 hrs of television that is shown. However the second series is on the way soon and the story is far from near the end by the last episode of series one(you are left with more questions at the end of the series then at the start). To make matters worse the producers stated that a series will equal aabout a month in the shows timeframe (this could drag out a lot).
If you want to know more about the show, or the plot pm me

JJ
#73599 by Jonathan
17 Aug 2005, 18:05
Just thought I'd post a reminder so people remember its on tonight!

I watched tonights C4 ep on E4 last week so will no doubt do the same tonight..thoughts so far OK (but not so impressed to download torrents!)
#73601 by seany
17 Aug 2005, 18:15
Originally posted by Jonathan
Just thought I'd post a reminder so people remember its on tonight!

I watched tonights C4 ep on E4 last week so will no doubt do the same tonight..thoughts so far OK (but not so impressed to download torrents!)

Tonight will be my last attempt to get into it, didn't really get me interested last time.
#76644 by JohnD
10 Sep 2005, 21:41
If anybody wants to give this a second go - its on a bit torrent site near you:D
#78121 by HighFlyer
23 Sep 2005, 15:44
The first episode of Series 2 of Lost is now available on the Bit Torrents ... or my hard drive!!

Well worth a watch/download for anybody who stuck through the first series ... as you get to find out whats inside the hatch!!! :D:D
#78123 by FamilyMan
23 Sep 2005, 15:56
..whats inside the hatch!!! :D:D

Hatch.... hatch....?? WHAT HATCH!!!

Spoiler Alert [:0] :)

I've just been watching them play golf.

Phil (Buffy)

P.S. Might take you up on the offer when series 1 end.
#78127 by AlanA
23 Sep 2005, 17:36
The first episode of Series 2 of Lost is now available on the Bit Torrents ... or my hard drive!!

Well worth a watch/download for anybody who stuck through the first series ... as you get to find out whats inside the hatch!!! :D:D

Haggis?
#78170 by Scrooge
23 Sep 2005, 21:50
Im not a fan of the show,but the wife watched it last night,said it was great..
Virgin Atlantic