This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#76349 by twirlygal
08 Sep 2005, 09:51
Hi Gixer1000 - totally agree with all pro's and cons previously posted regarding flying with Virgin and the seats you have requested.

However Virgin can and frequently do reallocate all seating on the aircraft prior to check in, so you could end up sitting anywhere on the aircraft regardless of how soon you requested those seats

We returned from MCO yesterday - we had reserved seats 34A,B,C & D 10 months ago when booking. However when we got to Downtown Disney at 8:00am (we were first in the queue) seat 34d had been reallocated to another family and my husband had to sit in row 22f.

The check in agent said it frequently happens that there is a change in aircraft and the whole of the seating on that aircraft is reallocated by a department in India who deals with that sort of thing.
#76355 by PatDavies
08 Sep 2005, 10:28
Originally posted by s0436
- The air is more recycled at the back of the plane, hence why first class is always at the front of the aircraft.
- In case of emergency, you are the last ones off the aircraft
- If the plan lands on its back wheels and crashes, you are the first to die.
+/- Richard Branson is known to sit in the back of economy when he does his rare fly-ops.

Sorry s0436, but this is utter nonsense and is definitely stamping on Gixer's strawberries:)

Boeing 747 have air outlets throughout the aircraft from the A/C packs. There is no separate supply for the front - which, BTW, isn't first class on VA; it is business class.

In an emergency evacuation, it is never known which emergency doors are available for use until the aircraft has stopped. However, there are emergency exits at the back of the aircraft, opposite the rear toilets. Assuming all exits are available, those right at the back will be amongst the first off the aircraft. An emergency evacuation should take less than 90 secs to get everybody off anyway

Aircraft rarely crash backwards - mainly because they are designed to fly forwards:D A tail strike on take-off or landing is virtually impossible with a 747 due to the high tail (easier with an AB600 because of the length of the fuselage. Tail strikes are low speed accidents and rarely affect the ability of the plane to fly or land safely; so your comment is simply scaremongering.

BTW, most aircraft including 747, are designed to 'land on their back (main gear) wheels'. If you watch an aircraft land, it will 'flare' just before touchdown. This raises the nose and allows the aircraft to make full use of the ground effect in landing. Shortly after touchdown with the main gear, the nose comes down and the front (nose) wheel touches down.
#76412 by a seagull
08 Sep 2005, 18:00
Hi Gizer1000,

Hopefully all the other replies have allayed your fears. However I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

We travelled to Orlando at the start of the summer school holidays in those seats. It was excellent. Indeed in the hope of getting those next year I am booking economy rather than upgrading to PE as had been the plan - more money for the giant playground that is Florida.

You get called to board immediately after UC and PE, and you can smugly push past those irritating people who stand right at the front of the gate desperate to get on (very strange - isn't 9 hours in the same small space enough?)

Upon arrival, when the seatbelt light goes off don't jump up from your seat immediately, as you won't get off any quicker. I tend to wait until I see movement about ten rows ahead.

We got through immigration in about 20 minutes. And if you remember to queue near to an unmanned booth, you may get lucky as they often open more positions. Anyway you've arrived - so it's almost fun!

We went on an indirect flight a few years ago - with Delta. Not to be recommended, not only due to the extra time and inconvenience, but imagine my nervous-flyer wife when one of the stewardesses said 'oh my god, I've not heard a noise like that before' just prior to landing.

Have a great time. Remember to plan your theme parks. The flights will look after themselves.

Trevor
#76537 by ajp
09 Sep 2005, 20:29
As I travel by myself most of the time, I am a big fan of a 34C (or there abouts on the Airbuses). This is right up at the front, first row or so behind the divider to PE. I hate waiting at US immigration, so this always means I am right up at the front of the queue. However you do run the risk with the row in front being reserved for families. On my last flight to Boston, I had a family of 5 in front of me with 3 little ones. What terrors they were! Don't know how their parents managed it. Anyways, all it took was a trip down to the back galley, a smile at the crew and a glass of wine. The crew even made (unrequested) trips up to see me to supply me with more wine! By the end of the flight I was merry and ended up playing with kids. I endured their story books, toy cars, etc. The parents were very appreciative, and hey, I enjoyed my flight.
#76540 by MrB
09 Sep 2005, 20:58
Gixer1000

Sorry for the delay in replying - been away.

We fly May 20 2006

[?] did u get the seats?
Virgin Atlantic