This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7361 by Gixer1000
12 Aug 2005, 20:38
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, have never been to the USA before and have never flown Virgin.
We have booked to fly to Orlando late next May. This is a once in a lifetime trip for our family, 6 of us travelling including my mum and dad. So, I have done a fair bit of research in the hope of making this trip as best as we possibly can. I have taken note of the seat guide on this forum and also on http://www.seatguru.com and have gone ahead today and booked our seats.

I was so happy today when I managed to book 61ac, 62ac & 63ac, I have read that these seats have a bit more room, are quiet and get served food etc quickly. Infact I was so chuffed that I called my parents and hubby in work to let them know that I had secured good seats.
I know we are only travelling economy but still, its all part of the holiday and something we are looking forward to. We could have booked other airlines much cheaper but felt as if we were doing something "a bit special" by booking Virgin and that we were really treating ourselves. (please dont laugh, I know that must seem very silly to all of you who travel regularly for business and so on!)
The problem is, when I was telling a work colleague of my success, the office know it all stamped all over my strawberries by telling me "You have made an error, I fly to the states all the time, and I would NEVER book a seat at the back of the plane, you will be last to disembark and will have a 3 hour que at immegration as a consequence, you should have booked an exit seat"

I cant tell you how angry I felt, he procceded to tell me that Virgin were hopless, I had wasted my money and should have booked American airlines, 34" seat pitch great service blah blah blah. I told him that I had looked into it and although they were cheaper we wanted a direct flight and would prefer to get to our destination in 9 hours instead of 13.

Sorry Im wittering on a bit here, but Im just so angry! why do some people take pleasure from making others upset?

Basically, I just need to know that I have booked decent seats and not made a huge mistake by forking out £3500 to fly with Virgin.Please, can anybody put my mind at rest?

Thanks!

p.s does anybody know the chances of us getting the new v port plane?
#73153 by Kryten
12 Aug 2005, 20:50
Well you didn't make a mistake booking with Virgin. Secondly, seats at the back are ok, you will be the last to get off the plane, but Orlando immigration is not normally that bad I find.

Also, American are putting extra seats back into Economy so that 34" seat pitch will be back to 31" by the end of the year!

As for booking an exit seat, that can only be done at the airport, it will usually cost 50GBP each seat though unless its the window exit which actually has less leg room (although I still used to like that seat as I'd just stretch at an angle when I flew economy).
#73166 by Richard28
12 Aug 2005, 23:08
I have flown in these seats before to Orlando (and I fly a reasonable amount on VS - at least 3 times a year)

would I fly in the rear few rows again?

Hell yes!

there are positives & negatives:

+ one of first on board in Y class
+ one of first to receive drinks service
+ one of first to receive food service
+ extra room by side of seat if by window
- one of last off plane

now, add the math, I make that +3 for those seats - you'll find them fine - have fun - dont worry - relax, enjoy - and igonore your work colleagues - we know a bit more!!

Enjoy Gixer1000 - you have chosen well :) (IMHO !!)
#73167 by honey lamb
12 Aug 2005, 23:22
Sorry Im wittering on a bit here, but Im just so angry! why do some people take pleasure from making others upset?

Witter on, dear and we'll help soothe your frayed nerves.

Quite honestly I wanted to go over and slap your colleague for what he has done. You did your research, made your choice and felt rightly proud and excited about it only to have cold water poured on it (although I must say I loved you expression "Stamped on my strawberries" Must remember that one :D ) What suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. As you say, if you had followed his suggestion you would have had a 13 hour flight (with a connection in all probability in Dallas/Fort Worth, which according to my friends in the States is a h*llhole of a place)as opposed to a 9 hour one. In addition, Mr Know-it-all obviously doesn't if he is saying you should have booked exit rows. As Kryten rightly points out, they can only be booked at the airport. And, no, I don't think you are silly for feeling you are doing something a bit special by booking Virgin. Why do you think we are here? It's because most of us regularly fly Virgin because we think it's a bit special. I have been flying with them since 1997 and still feel I am treating myself every time I book.

So try and put what he said behind you - he's probably dead jealous anyway - and just concentrate on enjoying every little bit of your trip. Read our trip reports and you'll know that for the most part VS is a very enjoyable experience

(Oh, and sorry to stamp on your strawberries ;) but it is unlikely you will get a v-port plane unless for some reason one of the LHR planes are pressed into service in Gatwick)
#73173 by VS_Lover
13 Aug 2005, 00:03
I agree with some parts - you do have to weigh up having a bit more room at the back having at least over 300 people in front of you in the immigration queues which are erratic at best.

But please remember PRE-ASSIGNED SEATS ARE NOT GUARENTEED. Your seats can be released for someone else, or moved around. The best way to prevent this is check in on line 24 hours before hand, so at least you wont rush to the airport to find you're sitting away from each other all over the aircraft.

And as for AA being better - their seats are indeed more spacious but the service is dire and i wouldn't cross the Atlantic in a plane with 2 engines - what is this, the 1930's? And that's also the year their cabin crew were born.
#73176 by InsertNameHere
13 Aug 2005, 00:21
Gixer, are you by chance CBR600 on TripAdvisor? I noticed coincidences in travel dates, seats and airlines... If so then glad you took my advice and welcome to V-Flyer! I use the same name for both.

The seats at the back are the best - we flew in them return to Miami. THe reason I'm cautioning everyone about immigration is because it took us 2h30 in Miami - not pleasing after a longhaul flight.

Re: American Airline, ignore him - it's rubbish. Here's something they don't tell you in the press release - when they did their More Room in Coach McThingy, they facilitated the extra space by taking out two toilets from the back. Subsequently, everyone has been complaining about queues for toilets in Y on their 777s (the ones they fly transatlantic). Now, they're stopping it, but I'm guessing they're not replacing the loos. So in effect, its added another 2/3 rows of seats to Y. And the service - consider yourself cargo is the average description.

Virgin is great - there are loads of nice touches, even in economy. Whilst flying in economy is never much fun, I've generally found Virgin to be one of, if not THE best airlines.

So sleep easy and enjoy your holiday. Besides, even if you have to wait an extra 30 mins at immigration, I'm sure it won't wreck your holiday.
#73186 by roadrunner
13 Aug 2005, 03:07
I'm with honey lamb, a slap is definitely in order. Rule #1 don't rain on someone's parade. I flew for years on 61 or plus in the back of the bus,and still do when price is all-- and for good reason: more leg room, privacy (in fact cuddly), and a sense of special. My first choice always in Y if bulkhead deuce is not an option. I have shared 61 ac + rows with strangers as well and it is still my seat of choice bar none.

Phooey on know-it-alls, Virgin economy is certainly cramped in all rows EXCEPT 61 ac+ and bulkhead but always fun and an adventure. As a US resident let me be the first to say that I choose Virgin over any American airline, no holds barred. Have a great time, enjoy every minute and think about texting your colleague on take-off, "Having a wonderful time, glad you're not here."

have a fabulous trip, no worries--and protect those seats!

cheers,

RR
#73187 by philadam
13 Aug 2005, 10:21
- what is this, the 1930's? And that's also the year their cabin crew were born.

VS_Lover, that made meImage

Phil
#73194 by s0436
13 Aug 2005, 12:09
- The air is more recycled at the back of the plane, hence why first class is always at the front of the aircraft.
- In case of emergency, you are the last ones off the aircraft
- If the plan lands on its back wheels and crashes, you are the first to die.
+/- Richard Branson is known to sit in the back of economy when he does his rare fly-ops.
#73195 by slinky09
13 Aug 2005, 12:11
Gixer1000

Hope all this has plumped up your strawberries - if you and your colleague left at the same time him on AA you on VA here's what the likely comparison might be:

Him
- long flight through Miami or Dallas or JFK with change, Miami immigration a nightmare, likely 14hr+ journey, two baggage claims, shoes off search and X-ray in some airport with teenage TSA agents barking at you (OK you have to have this on the way back but only once)
- terrible IFE, old and B list movies
- squidgy breakfast, sweets for lunch (believe me)
- no amenity kit
- $5 for each glass of wine or beer
- dour, grumpy crew who once they've done the minimum you won't see for long periods
- a captain who tells you to stay in your seats and not stand in the aisles
- connecting flight on a little MD80 with no IFE and a glass of water
- but yes, currently the seats are more spacious though as Kryten says that advantage will be gone within months

You
- non-stop flight in 9hrs
- good honest food, a few glasses of wine or a g&t, breakfast and lunch
- at least double the choice of films and movies, possibly games etc
- happy, smiley crew who probably won't spend all their time grumping at the rear of the plane
- basic but sufficient amenity kit
- an invitation to move around the plane within reason without obstructing the crew
- and OK a smaller seat pitch and you'll be toward the rear of the plane for immigration (but if your friend connects in Miami the queue there can be 2 hrs whether you're in 1st or not!)

So my guess is you'll arrive 4 or more hrs before him, having had a much more enjoyable experience with less hassle. While he's still travlling you'll have unpacked and be well on your way into your holiday!!

Enjoy and I hope you come back to tell us all about it.
#73196 by Gixer1000
13 Aug 2005, 12:26
Thank you all so much for your reassuring replys! I know we will have a longer wait at immigration but thats a small price to pay for 9 hours of comfort, good service and so on.
I'v now got a fresh bowl of strawberries and aint gonna let anyone stamp all over them again. We have looked forwrd to this trip for sooooo long, and I will definately take the advice of checking in on line just to confirm everything.
Have dropped hints to hubby that a pre ordered bottle of champers might help make the flight even better,( I even have to arrange my own suprises! :D)

Anyway, thanks again, I am off to read the trip reports and check out the rest of this great site.
#73214 by MrB
13 Aug 2005, 19:33
Hi

I am going to Orlando next May and have looked at booking these seats at the rear of the plane. The plusses are good with a little' minor as far as I am concerned. However Virgin told me that they only allocate one window seat to a family. There are 4 of us and I would like 2 sets of 2 seats. Does any body know if the info I have been given is true?
#73216 by p17blo
13 Aug 2005, 19:46
Originally posted by Gixer1000
p.s does anybody know the chances of us getting the new v port plane?

Almost no chance I'm afraid on the LGW-MCO route, unless you manage to get a relocated LHR based plane

Paul
#73217 by p17blo
13 Aug 2005, 19:48
Originally posted by MrB
Hi

I am going to Orlando next May and have looked at booking these seats at the rear of the plane. The plusses are good with a little' minor as far as I am concerned. However Virgin told me that they only allocate one window seat to a family. There are 4 of us and I would like 2 sets of 2 seats. Does any body know if the info I have been given is true?

Rubbish. Even if they will only book one window seat for you check you booking online (assuming you have booked with VS direct) and change the seat assignments yourself

Paul
#73218 by p17blo
13 Aug 2005, 19:50
Originally posted by s0436
+/- Richard Branson is known to sit in the back of economy when he does his rare fly-ops.

Where did this bit of info come from? As frankly I can't see that at all. Has anyone ever witnessed this?
#73222 by declansmith
13 Aug 2005, 21:13
If your colleagues fly all the time then they should know that you cannot book exit seats on any airline!!!

Also immigration in MCO is very effiecient unlike Miami.

Miami is chaos with so many different flights arriving at the same time.

Orlando is used to three VS 747-400 arriving within hours of each other and a BA 777.

You will enjoy your VS flight and you have picked good seats.

Look forward to seeing you onboard.
#73223 by Gixer1000
13 Aug 2005, 21:17
Mr B,

we are a family of 6 and have booked 3 sets of 2 seats, I had no problems at all booking them, I even phoned Virgin customer care to confirm that I had done everything right on the web site and to pre order kids meals. I had the seats confirmed to me by the rep for both the outbound and return journey. Sorted [y]
When in May do you travel? I hope its not the end, I beat you to the seats if your on the same flight as me ;)
#73224 by badger
13 Aug 2005, 22:06
May I suggest that you try and book an Appartment or Villa instead of a hotel room. That way you will have a fridge and fully equipped kitchen. Even if you don't want to cook you can then pop to the nearest Publix supermarket and stock up on drinks, ice cream cakes chips etc. Idont know if you are aware that most hotels in the US are on a room only basis, which means that you have to pay for everything that passes your lips. That can add a lot of money to your holiday cost.

Chris
#73225 by badger
13 Aug 2005, 22:11
The other advantage, which no other airline has to offer is the Downton Disney check-in on your way home.
I think it's well worth the small extra charge.
At least you get to enjoy your last day.
Also if you are a bit later at the car rental pick-up and have booked a small car, they may have run out and give you a free upgrade.
Has happened to me serveral times.
If you haven't booked your car yet http://www.airline-network.co.uk/ is usually very good for MCO. They use Dollar, which is actually located in the terminal.
Chris
#73241 by sky
14 Aug 2005, 09:36
Originally posted by declansmith
If your colleagues fly all the time then they should know that you cannot book exit seats on any airline!!!

Not entirely true, AA lets you reserve exit seats if you are a Platinum (EXP?) card holder, and I believe Lufthansa also has them available for their elite flyers.

That would be a nice Au benefit on VS.

Cheers
sky

Please don't bother pointing out that they need to see you before they can give you an exit seat, since there is plenty of time at check-in to remove you from that seat if you are not suitable.
#73249 by slinky09
14 Aug 2005, 11:10
Sky is right for AA (book 31AB or 31 HJ they're the best) but you have to be AAdvantage Gold or Platinum then the AA Web site shows the seats as available.
#73253 by Gixer1000
14 Aug 2005, 12:00
Hi Badger,

We have booked a villa for 3 weeks, My kids will be 10 and 8 when we travel and 4 of us in a hotel room for that length of time would be a nightmare. We would have had to book 3 seperate double rooms which would have worked out twice the cost of our 4 bed villa. Plus of course the advantage of full kitchen/washing machine, 3 bathrooms, sitting room, private pool, bbq, is it obvious that Im more excited than the kids??? :D

p.s We have also booked a fly drive, 7 seater mini van thingy, I read somewhere that Virgin have their own car hire desk for dollar at MCO is that right? we have booked the platinum insurance package for peace of mind, but dont know if its worth getting sat nav or not?

Sorry, going slightly of topic here, please dont tell me off [:I]
#73451 by Ian
16 Aug 2005, 15:10
Gixer 1000,
You have booked your seats very wisely. You have even managed to avoid booking 64ac, which tend to suffer from noise pollution from pax on the return flight. Well done.
However, just one word of caution. IMHO on all long haul Y class travel it is best to ignore the call to board, whichever your seat number is, until last. There is no airline that has a Y seat that I can call comfortable and if the flight is already 9 hours in the air, then why would I want to be in it for another 60 minutes whilst the plane loads. There is always space in the overhead lockers these days, so no loss there.
When waiting to board I make sure I am not last on, but when I do pass the boarding gate I see that glint in the eye and a wry smile from the staff, who know clearly why I have left it so long. Nuff said!
#76222 by zippy-de-doo-da
07 Sep 2005, 12:31
hi,

i booked these seats for a flight to orlando in november 04, we were about last off the plane but the queue to get through immigration was nowhere near 3 hours it was 30 mins maximum and with luggage collection being so quick was through immigration and at the hotel quicker than i have been in some european resorts.

The seats are good but it gets a bit annoying when you are tyring to get some sleep and people are resting themselves against the seat in the queue for the toilets.

Im booked to go back June 2006 and have booked the same seats again they were definately more comfy than the ones half way down the plane.:D
#76247 by newby
07 Sep 2005, 17:44
Originally posted by Gixer1000

p.s We have also booked a fly drive, 7 seater mini van thingy, I read somewhere that Virgin have their own car hire desk for dollar at MCO is that right? we have booked the platinum insurance package for peace of mind, but dont know if its worth getting sat nav or not?

Sorry, going slightly of topic here, please dont tell me off [:I]

Hey Gixer1000, welcome to v-flyer and dont worry about going slightly off topic I do it all the time :)

You are right Virgin does have its own car hire desk for dollar at MCO and its right opposite the normal Dollar rental desk the level below baggage reclaim - it only took us 10 mins to get our car docs and cross the road to the carpark to pick up the car whereas there was a huge queue at the normal Dollar desk for other people :). We also hired a 7 seat van with the platinum package and they are great - we didnt opt for sat nav as we pretty much stayed by disney and the road directions they give you are great!

If you are around Orlando on the morning of your return flight then Disneydowntown check-in is a god send and if you booked through Virgin Holidays you should get a voucher with your travel docs and will be able to use it for free (and avoid paying the $5 charge) - it saves lugging your bags around all day and also means you can get to the airport 1 hour prior to take off and go straight to the departure gate with no fuss!

Re your seats - I totally agree with the others - they are the best in Economy and dont worry too much about the queue at immigration - when we arrived last week no other aircraft was in at the same time (we were on the VS27) and everyone on the aircraft got through immigration before the bags had even arrived on the carousels (approx 30 mins!) - MCO definately gets this right (unlike my trip to Miami earlier in the year where on being first off the plane it still took me 2 hours to clear immigration!).

Have an excellent trip and please give your colleague a good slap from me :)
Virgin Atlantic