This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#74195 by preiffer
23 Aug 2005, 17:45
They've been read from a script for quite a while now.
#74200 by AlanA
23 Aug 2005, 18:02
I seem to recall that they had a telling off from the CAA?
#74203 by kkempton
23 Aug 2005, 18:44
I think FCA stole them, the outbound crew used some VS ones, sadly, they were not delivered in the VS style.
#74215 by southernbelle
23 Aug 2005, 19:37
Our PA's have always been read from a script. There are certain safety factors that need to be pointed out and some air head like me would undoubtedly forget what to say. We are told we can inject our own personality into them but it does get difficult as we have entered a culture where people are so much more easily offenced. Still somehow we manage to put Little Britain onboard without complaint!

SRB reportedly flew with Virgin Blue and loved their style of pa's and humour so ours were re written but they just didn't suit the majority of crew. I don't think the company has deliberately set out to make them more formal though. We still have some crew that make some great annoucements but it's something that I am useless at myself so far easier to just follow the script am afraid!
#74229 by slinky09
23 Aug 2005, 21:12
Funny old things that we are - I love the irreverent announcements but accept that some have to be scripted, however I've always found Virgin do so many more than other transatlantic airlines and wish there were less!

My fave of all time was not on a plane but on the tube, stuck at Earls Court heading for home after a long day and with the train standing still for ages, then a false start then another delay, the driver said 'Let me just say this about the signal box, rearrange the following words: brewery a couldn't piss organize up in a'!
#74245 by fozzyo
23 Aug 2005, 22:17
London Underground drivers have the best sense of humour!

Foz xxx
#74250 by mike-smashing
23 Aug 2005, 22:34
Originally posted by fozzyo
London Underground drivers have the best sense of humour!

Though South Eastern Trains, formerly Connex, drivers were known to have a sense of humour "This morning, your excuse for being late to work is...." :)

Mike
#74260 by anteo
23 Aug 2005, 23:07
My favourite...

"Would all passengers please remain seated with your seat belts fastened until the seat belt signs throughout the cabin have been switched off. Those passengers choosing to ignore this request might end up inside the terminal building rather sooner than expected" :D[y]

Announcement by a BA captain on arriving at JFK
Virgin Atlantic