This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#762 by HighFlyer
07 Apr 2004, 14:38
Hi

I was browsing through Virgin Travelstore, and found this quote for FC members:

Use of the Servisair executive lounge when flying in Premium Economy

Is this true? Anyone done this?

I have paid for lounges before when flying in PE but do not usually bother. Does this mean i can seriously use the Servisair executive lounge simply from holding a PE ticket and FC card?

Where are the Servisair executive lounges located? LHR or LGW?

Any knowledgeable persons please reply

:)
#28606 by anteo
07 Apr 2004, 15:48
http://www.virgintravelstore.com/a/business_division/frequent_flyer/LoyaltyProgram.asp?airlineId=744
quote:
Flying club silver

Premium Economy check-in
Use of the Servisair executive lounge when flying in Premium Economy
20% discount on long stay airport car parking at Heathrow & Gatwick
Free membership of Ôflying club global assistanceÕ Ð 24hr emergency travel service
Priority on waiting lists
Dedicated low call rate telephone for enquiries

Servisair lounge access was a benefit for Flying Club Silver members flying Premium Economy in W or K class a couple of winters ago. I never got to take advantage of the offer (as a new silver as well [:(!]) and it was quietly dropped after the offer expired in March. This hasnt appeared on any of the FC Silver promo since and if they were relaunching it I imagine we would have heard a big hoo-haa about it by now, so Im guessing the Travelstore page is out of date. Sorry.
#28721 by TJ
09 Apr 2004, 00:15
Are the Servisair lounges any good?

Not being FC Gold, I won't be able to use the LHR Clubhouse in September before my flight on VS1, so was considering booking into the Servisair T3 lounge....
#28722 by Richard28
09 Apr 2004, 01:10
I have used the Serviceair lounge (T3) a few times, and it is quite small and basic, but comfortable.

Has a smoking and non-smoking section, self service bar but only small snacks (eg bags of pretzels, peanuts etc).

Good range of drinks inc bombay sapphire gin, but champagne is only available at an extra cost

Usually has sky news on the telly for those who want it, volume usually kept low for those who don't!

The receptionist calls you for your flight, however there is a screen showing departure info as well should you choose to leave the lounge earlier.

I find it well worth the £17 odd pounds it costs to keep you away from the crowds.

Rich.
#28723 by Pete
09 Apr 2004, 01:16
Hi Richard, and welcome to VF

I recognise that name from A.net - same person?

If so, hopefully you'll notice a distinct lack of A vs B arguments & 'What's you favourite livery' threads. :D

Pix
#28727 by Nottingham Nick
09 Apr 2004, 10:20
I endorse Richard's assesment of the lounge. It is not a Clubhouse but it gets you away from the throng. I used to use it with Priority Pass until I found better alternatives.

It does get vey busy at times, but the staff seem to work hard to keep it tidy and the drinks section is usually well stocked.

Nick
#28733 by AlanA
09 Apr 2004, 11:16
quote:Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
I endorse Richard's assesment of the lounge. It is not a Clubhouse but it gets you away from the throng. I used to use it with Priority Pass until I found better alternatives.

It does get vey busy at times, but the staff seem to work hard to keep it tidy and the drinks section is usually well stocked.

Nick

Nick,
can you expand on the alternatives to Priority Pass?
#28736 by Nottingham Nick
09 Apr 2004, 14:18
Alan

It is a while since I had PP - It came as part of the Amex Plat package before Virgin FC had its own credit card:)

I seem to remember that the better airside alternatives at LHR T3 were a little sparse, but the Kuwait Air - Oasis Lounge was one of them.

At LGW, which I used more often, the best alternative to Servisair was the Continental PresidentÕs Club, which has a great view and great facilities.
#28744 by onionz
09 Apr 2004, 17:12
Agreed - i've used the Continental President's Club at LGW a few times (Priority Pass lets you in) and it does have a very nice view and its very quiet (I think the windows in there are quadruple-glazed or something!). There's not an awful lot to eat or drink but it's always pretty empty when i'm there for the LAS flight that day and it's spacious too.

The Sir Robert Hardingham Suite is not worth bothering with. Again, a limited selection to eat or drink, but you feel more crammed in and it's not as comfortable. Virgin have provided an invite to this lounge when travelling PE in the distant past. It's not a Priority Pass lounge.

Still prefer the Clubhouse though..:)
#28745 by stevendq
09 Apr 2004, 19:00
yeah ive used the continental lounge at LGW, it is quite nice. And as you say, quadruple glazed windows (until a Northwest DC-10 takes off!).
Flight was once delayed and we got moved to the Servisair lounge when the continental once closed, which I must say wasnt anything near as nice. Seemed like there was quite a big of "charter" flight traffic in there. (families [}:)] grr)
#28833 by Richard28
11 Apr 2004, 14:44
Hi there and thanks for the Welcome!

yes Pixuk, I'm the same Richard28 from the A.net forum - this seems like a much nicer place to hang out :D
#28890 by LAX21
12 Apr 2004, 07:13
ok so let me get this straight...

me being VS red and flying PE in May LAX-LHR-LAX, would i or would i not be able to take advantage of the servisair lounge ? :)
#28932 by anteo
12 Apr 2004, 19:14
Yes, you can visit the lounge by following the link to executivelounges.com above and paying £16 to do so. Free access was a benefit for silver members only but isnt any more.
#28969 by snoz
12 Apr 2004, 23:24
The Servisair lounge in T3 has actually just moved and, in my opinion, it is better than it was. Just basic drinks, nuts etc, but its more spacious and comfortable to the old location. I'll actually be using it for the last time on Sunday.... I'm on 38 tier points, and what should be taking my final flight as a Silver card holder... From my following trip, I'll be in the Virgin lounge if you need me....
#28992 by AlanA
13 Apr 2004, 10:29
Because I fly to CDG, GOT & AGP regulary (but due to cost reductions by the company I have to go Economy) and also Porto sometimes, I have taken up the Priority Pass card. £55 per annum plus £15 per visit. Better than swealtering in CDG with all the smokers, or in the heat of Malaga :-)
Might be worth you looking into this option if you fly Econ regulary.
http://www.prioritypass.co.uk/
#29100 by Sep
14 Apr 2004, 05:58
To come at this from the other way 'round what options exist for a lowly FC red whose home airport is LAX? I'd love the chance to relax in a lounge and I'm not above buying my way in either!
#29101 by Decker
14 Apr 2004, 08:14
As AlanA points out Priority Pass (http://www.prioritypass.com) is an option if you fly a few times a year

quote:Priority Pass members are welcome at 3 lounges in Los Angeles CA - LAX (Terminal 2,Terminal 5,Terminal 6)
#29116 by randalf
14 Apr 2004, 15:29
I'll be travelling back from LAX in May - rather than pay for a Priority Pass, do any lounges offer a one-off payment to get in, like the Servisair lounge in LHR does?
#29126 by AlanA
14 Apr 2004, 19:35
quote:Originally posted by randalf

I'll be travelling back from LAX in May - rather than pay for a Priority Pass, do any lounges offer a one-off payment to get in, like the Servisair lounge in LHR does?

I think that if you check on the airlines web sites, somne of them do, like Continental.
I thougfht Virgin holidays offered this service?
#29134 by BlackCat
14 Apr 2004, 22:19
VH do sometimes offer this to a restricted number of customers at LGW only. Not at LHR, methinks.

BC
#29224 by Pete
15 Apr 2004, 16:25
quote:Originally posted by Sep
I'd love the chance to relax in a lounge and I'm not above buying my way in either!

I can't think of any way to get into a lounge without paying in some way or another. Even Gold's have to pay through their continued levels of business. Centurion's obviously via the membership fee, and IOD in a similar way.

The affordable (if not free) is either to buy a one-off from Holiday Extras (although that's a UK company, so probably doesn't apply), or get yourself a Priority Pass card.

Priority Pass membership comes in different flavours. Their entry level (about 69 GBP) gives you membership, but then you pay for each use of lounge (good if your usage level is limited); or all inclusive for about 259 GBP. Both allow you take in guests, as I understand, for a per-usage fee.

Obviously, if you're interested in the Priority Pass card, using the link at the bottom of the forum means you'll contribute to VirginFlyer's running costs at no extra charge ;)

I've been a member of Priority Pass since around 96, and although I don't consider myself to be a high user (I'm in the Clubhouse most of the time courtesy of the VS Gold card); it has been very useful on those occasions I've been at places like Amsterdam or Palma with friends and long waits before boarding. In fact, one specific occasion I can remember was in Palma about 4 years ago. Five of us certainly got value out of a 6 hour wait between flights from London - Ibiza. From memory the one-off entry for non-inclusive or guests is about 15 quid - so not much point for a 30 minute visit, but can work out cheaper and more comfortable than public airport facilities when you've got to hang around a while.

Pix
Virgin Atlantic