This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#75020 by David
28 Aug 2005, 20:32
The last bit seems more interesting ... a scottish base :D

regards

David
#75021 by Nottingham Nick
28 Aug 2005, 20:33
This rumour has been floating about for years, and has been discussed on here before. The rumour was always conditional on Virgin Trains getting the franchise to run the East Coast Main Line.

The rail line has a spur that runs into the airport. The idea was that pax would deplane and get straight onto a train that would which them into the centre of London in not much over an hour.

Earlier this year the franchise was up for grabs again. Virgin made a bid, but GNER kept it, I assume for the forseeable future.

I like it as a rumour though,.... it is only about 15 miles from where I live and I will be looking for a new job in 2 years;) .

It also has the runway capacity to take the A380 - it is about 2 miles long, I believe.

Interesting what it says at the bottom of the thread, putting NEMA forward as a possible expansion airport. [8D][8D]

Nick
#75025 by s0436
28 Aug 2005, 21:28
Doncaster? Doesn't quite have the Virgin glam appeal, does it?! I know what you are thinking - Manchester...but at least it's a proper international airport and the city has seen somewhat of a regeneration masterstroke over recent years.
#75047 by NYCFlyer
29 Aug 2005, 02:26
Having had our company operating into DSA I would have to say that they will seriously need to get their act together if a high quality product like VS comes into town. Currently its a very LCC airport, nice terminal but still pretty small for an A380 operation. They have a Stansted like terminal that can be expanded though.

The rail link is a way off according to a briefing meeting I went to there a couple of months back.

Graham
#75093 by JO5H777
29 Aug 2005, 16:23
would be nice to see such a major carrier operate out of doncaster however i think a domestic and european airline like BMI is more likely. i'd rather VS expand operations out of manchester than operate to a new destination soi close such as doncaster.
Virgin Atlantic