This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7706 by triciacarole
02 Sep 2005, 11:04
Please don't tell me off if this has already been asked but I've searched and can't find it [8)].

If I get a companion flight via my credit card for spending £15K can I use this for myself and my husband and if I have 30K miles can I use this for my 2 daughters - paying for one and one free on the same flight as us?

Hope this makes sense :)
#75628 by David_Doyle
02 Sep 2005, 11:23
Yes, I believe this is fine as long as there is reward availability - 2 revenue tickets in the qualifying class for companion ticket eligibility and then 2 reward tickets.

So for PE tickets that you're after ( I'm guessing that as 30k miles is the redemption level for PE ) you'd need 2 x revenue PE tickets booked in either W or S class and then ( I believe ) 2 x reward tickets in U ( 1 'paid' for by the CC reward and one with 30k miles )

I hope this is correct!

The best way to ensure all goes well would be to call Flying Club.

David.
#75631 by preiffer
02 Sep 2005, 11:27
^
_
_

What he said [y]:D

You can "spend" your Companion Ticket on anyone you like, providing it's against a qualifying revenue fare, and you make the companion ticket booking.
#76800 by bostonbrit
12 Sep 2005, 21:02
I tried to redeem a companion voucher last year. No chance. Couldn't get the availability, no matter what!
#76805 by p17blo
12 Sep 2005, 21:26
I have been speaking to VS today about companion seats, got 1 available only on many flights. Maybe they only offer 1 or 2 per flight.

Paul
#76846 by a seagull
13 Sep 2005, 11:04
I booked Orlando for next summer last Saturday. It was the first day of availability for the return flight. However it was the outward one I was concerned about (first day after most schools break up). I wanted one fully paid, one companion, one miles and one mpm, in economy with two pairs of seats at the back).

The lady was very helpful (call took over 30 minutes). No mpm availability, but otherwise everything I wanted.

In addition I said I was due a Credit Card spend companion ticket 'anyday' but expected to have to use 20,000 miles. She said she'd log it as a CC reward and monitor it. I have since been told by the members shop that my anniversary is 16 September and that the companion ticket will be credited on October 7th. So I expect to get a call from the Flying Club lady. However even if that happens I cannot complain. Indeed I'd better not name her in case she shouldn't have booked it without proof.

Trevor
#77069 by KenJohn
14 Sep 2005, 22:16
It is easier to redeem on certain routes like LHR-JFK where there are a number of flights a day or to unpopular routes like (IAD)and very difficult to redeem on routes like LHR-SFO or LAS where there is only 1 flight a day and/or is a popular destination.

Companion tickets need to have full price tickets and usually, though not always, 2 restricted tickets (but miles/points earning) are cheaper than than 1 full price ticket and the companion ticket does not earn miles or points. There are also a lot more restricted tickets than there are award tickets for each flight.

I have redeemed miles to travel on LHR-DEL (booked about 10 months in advance), LHR-JFK return in May - 5 months in advance and again in September - 5 months in advance again as well as one-way LHR-SFO which was about 7 months in advance. So award tickets can be had if you prebooked. Almost got one for LHR-LAX in August but I proscrastinated long enough to miss out on that seat. Key message here is too book early - about 10-11 months in advance for certain routes but around about 5 months or so for JFK-LON (11 pm flight)

A lot of miles redeemption in a year but I have a very active Virgin credit card and I had not been redeeming miles for a few years now.
#77074 by twirlygal
14 Sep 2005, 23:21
I have managed to get both companion and full reward seats for next July LHR - LAX & SFO - LAX. Can only afford to fly Economy but it's better than swimming.[y]
#78165 by bostonbrit
23 Sep 2005, 21:20
Originally posted by twirlygal
I have managed to get both companion and full reward seats for next July LHR - LAX & SFO - LAX. Can only afford to fly Economy but it's better than swimming.[y]

Wooyeah twirlygal
#78187 by Decker
23 Sep 2005, 22:28
Hmmm I've managed to be offered 5 G class seats on LHR-SFO before now - I suspect this is what it maxs out at until revenue release more.
#78192 by Scrooge
23 Sep 2005, 23:12
Originally posted by Decker
Hmmm I've managed to be offered 5 G class seats on LHR-SFO before now - I suspect this is what it maxs out at until revenue release more.

So your the guy that takes all the seats when im trying to book a reward flight :D

As others have said if you want to book a reward flight book as far out as you can,try not to book during school holidays and forget about the west coast flights.
#78197 by Decker
23 Sep 2005, 23:27
We only took 3 ;)
#78216 by sky
24 Sep 2005, 00:18
When I flew back from SFO last time in August, I called up 5 days before and asked for a G and they said I could have it without a problem. (I ended up not taking it).

Cheers
Sky
Virgin Atlantic