This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7757 by Nice
05 Sep 2005, 18:13
Hi

I am about to book a trip to New York for some last minute christmas shopping. Dates are going to be 14th Dec to 19th of Dec. VS001 outbound and back on VS002.

Im told this would be an B744? I would ideally like to fly on an Airbus A340 as my dad needs an isle seat due to his height and i like a Window seat yet for the length of the flight someone sitting between us isnt something we would really want!

I appreciate any help i can get!

Warm Regrds,

Andrew
#75919 by kkempton
05 Sep 2005, 18:17
At the moment its a a340-600, but I suppose that can change. My only advice to you would be to use OLCI and nab the seats at the back of economy, where its a 2-4-2 config. Those seats also have handy side storage!
#75920 by Nice
05 Sep 2005, 18:19
OLCI?

We are not using a Virgin Booking System so seat choosing could be hard. Are the back row not recessed from the wall as i do like to look out the window!
#75924 by kkempton
05 Sep 2005, 19:01
You can still see out the window pretty well, your just not bolted up against it. The seats I had last time were worse, they were the place where there is no window, so I had to lean forward or recline to see out!
#75926 by preiffer
05 Sep 2005, 19:05
Originally posted by Nice
OLCI?

We are not using a Virgin Booking System so seat choosing could be hard. Are the back row not recessed from the wall as i do like to look out the window!
As KKempton said above, the seats are good as they give you a little bit more personal space, but you still have access to the window.

In terms of OLCI, providing you hold an e-ticket, you should have no problem checking in online. You just need your E-Ticket reference (the Virgin one, NOT the travel agent's own), and your flight details to do it.

You can check ahead of time, if you'll be able to, by seeing if you can get your booking to appear after clicking the "Update Booking" link on the bottom right of virginatlantic.com ;)
#75928 by Nice
05 Sep 2005, 19:09
Its Airmiles so i assume I cant given i couldnt with bmi or anyone else!
#75943 by mike-smashing
05 Sep 2005, 20:25
On the 744, look out on G-VWOW (Cosmic Girl) and G-VROC (Mustang Sally), because they are missing a couple of windows on the starboard (right hand) side with those seats at the back - this is what I think kkempton is referring to.

If you look at this picture of "OW" or this pic of "OC" you will see the blanked out windows just above the registration mark.

Compare that to G-VBIG (Tinker Belle) which has a full set of windows near the back. G-VHOT, G-VFAB and G-VXLG (the other 744s which are based at Heathrow) have the same window config as G-VBIG, so four of the six LHR aircraft have windows all the way back in this section.

Whilst this isn't noted in the V-flyer seat ratings at the moment, it looks like it could intrude on at least one row of the "twosomes" at the back of the aircraft.

Note that these missing windows are only on the right hand (K-side) of the aircraft.

Cheers,
Mike
#75956 by VS-EWR
05 Sep 2005, 21:42
Well, historically VS001/002 has been a 744, but time will tell. A word of warning though, the EC seats at the back of a 346, after the plane begins to taper off, are more uncomfortable than the seats in the center section. I am 6'2" and chose the window/aisle seats at the back of the 346 and was disapointed at the different amount of legroom there. I was lucky though as I simply moved to another seat in between departure and landing.:)
#75958 by webdes03
05 Sep 2005, 22:09
As other's have said, this is typically a 744... although I did return on VS1 onboard a 343 last year...

Unless its completely out of the question, I recommend PE (Upper Deck if its a 744)... well worth the extra IMHO.
#75966 by KenJohn
05 Sep 2005, 22:28
Nice

Yes you can
Has Airmiles sent you the tickets yet? If so, look at the ticket under booking reference. This will look like a string of 6 characters normally 5 alphabets and 1 number but it can be 6 alaphabet.

Thats your Virgin booking reference.

If Airmiles have not sent you the tickets as yet that you can ring and ask. A colleague of mine did precisely that. Just tell them you want to choose a seat on-line. They may moan but they have the information. Best to do it now because Virgin only let opens about 60% (?) of seats for requests; i.e. if 60% of the other passengers on a full flight have already done this, Virgin will just say there are no more seats to allocate. The rest are only available when OLCI starts.
#76071 by Nice
06 Sep 2005, 15:44
Hi,

Have not booked but will do within 48 hours once i confirm leave.

I really would prefer to fly Airbus so i checked Airmiles and same price i can fly on VS045 LHR/JFK then back on VS004 JFK/LHR.

Dont suppose these would be A340 flights?

Andrew :)
#76072 by kkempton
06 Sep 2005, 15:50
VS045 is curently i believe, however, I think VS004 is a 744
Virgin Atlantic