This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7850 by FamilyMan
09 Sep 2005, 17:11
It's really worth checking out the cost of Y flights - including VS - through Nectar's arrangement with EBookers.

For the Premium classes it's horrendously expensive - so may not interest you hardedned 'turn left' individuals - but the Y fares make VS look expensive.

A couple of examples (both in November)

JFK Return: 29200 Points
MCO Return: 28650 Points

EBookers points prices mirror the money cost so the cheaper the flight available the less the points and you have all airlines to choose from and many of the reward flights are miles earnings as they are normal revenue fares.

Plus - and here's a biggie - unlike with miles the fares for kids are less. I could fly to JFK with my wife and daughter for 80300 points rather than 120k miles. Earning potential is similar - have yet to see the new Nectar American Express but even 1 point per mile is good.

Phil (Buffy)

Edit: Each £1 of fare cost 200 points so 40k points buys you £200 of fare (all fares are ex-tax) - not great by UC standard but a lot fairer at the Y level.
#76522 by HighFlyer
09 Sep 2005, 17:20
Phil

Where are you looking at for redeeming? EBookers or Nectar?

We have about 80'000 Nectar points from the old Barclaycard scheme and havent found anything worthy to spend them on. Before the points scheme changed to Nectar you used to get a reasonable rate of return, the switch-over seemed to allow them to adjust the redemption rates to something scandalous!

Last time i looked it was like 130000 points for a W return?
#76524 by FamilyMan
09 Sep 2005, 17:27
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Phil
Where are you looking at for redeeming? EBookers or Nectar?

Sarah,

Go throught the Nectar Site Flight Search.

It links to the EBookers site but gives prices in points.

Not great rates on W but if you can slum it in Y then go for it - chance to test you Au Upgrade potential.

Phil (Buffy)